Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Not a proper team"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it was a bad move by Gus to say he had already sorted out his retained list with TB as the players have nothing to prove now as it is too late. What incentive is there for players like Cox and Virgo if he has already made his mind up. What about the loan players as he said yesterday he doesnt want players who are going to knock on his door asking to be sent out on loan.

It's hardly rocket-science; 3 managers in 2 seasons bringing in a scattered list of players here and there and disintegrating any long-term relations within the squad, and Gus is no different in that respect. What he has done is, he has aimed to bring in more talented individuals to strengthen the team and replace the donkeys completely.

He's right about team-work - Dean Wilkins had probably accumulated the last real 'team' we've seen, and for their fairly-modest talents they achieved most in recent times.
I sincerely doubt we'll comfortably make the top 2 next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we struggle to make play-offs. Gus (or anyone else) will need a couple of seasons to get the club functioning well again imho.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I sincerely doubt we'll comfortably make the top 2 next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we struggle to make play-offs. Gus (or anyone else) will need a couple of seasons to get the club functioning well again imho.

I disagree as I believe that we have the making of a very good team and I am also fairly sure that there will be a couple of suprises when the retained list is announced.

I disagree as I believe that we have the making of a very good team and I am also fairly sure that there will be a couple of suprises when the retained list is announced.

Didn't you suggest on another thread that the retained list will have been predictable? I would suggest that the existing squad members must be pretty-well safe, but the players who could be playing in certain positions that have been surpassed by loanees, will be offed. If they have had to be overlooked now, then I can't see them being included in the ambitions for success next season.
As much as I approve of the talent showing in Gus's teamwork, it's still painful to note that his tactics are occasionally awkward and don't result in any more telling shots on goal than we have seen from the 2 managers before him. I also worry that we have a 'defense-coach' specifically, yet remain indecisive and just as easily breached as ever, at the back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. I also worry that we have a 'defense-coach' specifically, yet remain indecisive and just as easily breached as ever, at the back.

Don't have the stats but I will stick my neck on the line and say that is absolute rubbish, we are not conceding anywhere the number of goals we shipped before Gus started to make an impact on the squad. We may have been breached in the last two games in a suicidal way but for quite a while before that we did rather well in defence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't have the stats but I will stick my neck on the line and say that is absolute rubbish, we are not conceding anywhere the number of goals we shipped before Gus started to make an impact on the squad.

By far the worst period of the season was when we had Smith in goal and the entire back four was offering him zero by way of protection. That defence was shipping goals for fun! Smith got found out, but the remnents of that very poor back four remain in place. Which has to be a major concern.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't you suggest on another thread that the retained list will have been predictable? .

I dont think so I cant remember saying so but may well have done. I think that he may have made up his mind about Virgo but not about Hoyte as I feel that with Painters injury had he made up his mind about Hoyte he would have moved El Abd to left back and played Virgo in the middle. If I was undecided about Virgo that is what I would have done, or if undecided about Hoyte done exactly as he has and played him at left back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here