Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Northern Ireland

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The lowdown:

There are no two ways about it - Northern Ireland's chances are hanging by the slimmest of tiny threads. But there is a route through for them.

First up, they must win both of their remaining matches, at home against Denmark and away to Spain. Anything less and they are out. But two wins will be sufficient, providing Spain have failed to win in their other match at home to Sweden on 17 November.

If Spain beat Sweden, two wins for Northern Ireland will still put them through, but only if Latvia triumph in Sweden in the final qualifying match on 21 November.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Norn Iron, BoF, the entire "th" sound gets erased, so no mutations to "d"...

Not sure I want them in after their childish strop over player eligibility - they refuse to accept FIFA rules on what entitles you to play where after a number of players decided they wanted to play for Ireland not their team.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World

Not sure I want them in after their childish strop over player eligibility - they refuse to accept FIFA rules on what entitles you to play where after a number of players decided they wanted to play for Ireland not their team.

What happened to the other team from down south? :innocence:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What happened to the other team from down south? :innocence:

Appointed a muppet as a manager, gave him too valuable a contract to can him straight away after two appalling friendlies and get someone decent in; and then didn't can him until after we failed to qualify. Imagine all Eriksson and McClaren's bad qualities rolled in to one manager, then remove all the experience.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Northern Ireland 2 Denmark 1

If they win on Wednesday they will qualify

Not sure how you've worked that one out ???

They've got no chance. Spain are beating Sweden which, if it remains that way, means that N.Ireland will be three points behind Sweden with a goal difference approximately 10 worse off. So N.Ireland will have to beat Spain approximately 10-0. Oh and of course Sweden will also have to lose to Latvia.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure how you've worked that one out ???

Because it's nothing to do with goal difference, initially?

Equality of points after the group matches
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings.
a) Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question.
b) Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question.
c) Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question.
d) Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question.
e) If, after applying criteria a) to d) to several teams, two or more teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria a) to d) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) and g) will apply.
f) Results of all group matches: 1. Superior goal difference 2. Higher number of goals scored 3. Higher number of goals scored away from home 4. Fair play conduct.
g) Drawing of lots.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Is David Healy NI's highest ever goal scorer, surely he is? He's scored the most goals ever in the Euro Qualifying now with 13 goals and 1 game to go.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Because it's nothing to do with goal difference, initially?

Ahh right. Well I stand corrected on that point. They change the bloody rules so often and I never bother to brush up on the new ones.

However, it's still not a case of "If they win on Wednesday they will qualify". As I said before with Spain winning it will leave them 3 points behind Sweden and 5 behind Spain. So even if they beat Spain, which is unlikely, Sweden still have to lose to Latvia. It's not all in their own hands.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Watched the N Ireland v Denmark game, the conditions were atrocious, reminded me of a game we played against Bristol Rovers many years ago that should never have been played but it was and we lost 1-0...however, the game this evening was one of those you couldn't take your eyes off, entertaining despite the conditions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ahh right. Well I stand corrected on that point. They change the bloody rules so often and I never bother to brush up on the new ones.

However, it's still not a case of "If they win on Wednesday they will qualify". As I said before with Spain winning it will leave them 3 points behind Sweden and 5 behind Spain. So even if they beat Spain, which is unlikely, Sweden still have to lose to Latvia. It's not all in their own hands.

...which is what Downloaded Penguin said (and everyone other than the OP knew, I think).

Great commentary of the highlights on BBC1 - much laughter and 'YES!' from the co-commentator and what an amazing goal from Healy. Again.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

I don't think that'll happen now Eire are utter gash again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here