Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand standing what a joke

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
So if the person behind you asks you to sit down what would you say.

I sit down.

There is a relatively old boy behind me and he does sit for parts of games. I sit down and keep out of his way as I respect his right to watch the game just like my right. Plus he has been supporting the Albion a lot longer than I have and kudos to him.

This all being said 90% of the time we both stand, and have a bloody good time of it too.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My last word on this - if you are going to continue to stand which is clearly (and probably) against the rules - dont come on here and start bitching about the club as if anything, the club are doing this as a warning, seeing as there has been weeks of doing nothing of course - which does nothing as well as the stewarding is so inconsistent.

My (not) last word is that this ain't your message board so you've got no place telling people what they can and can't say.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You'd like to think so wouldn't you? I was in East Stand 1901 today and after the first goal we all do that Al-bion chant, standing up with arms stretched for a second or two and then sit down. All this whilst the players return to the positions before kicking off again. Well, I did that for all of a second. and a minute after had a steward warn me that another fan had complained about me doing that. I'm honestly not joking, I stood for 2 seconds gave a quick chant and sat down and the game hadn't been re-started.

Aside from the completely disproportionate response from the steward, I learnt from other fans who were as gobsmacked as me that it was a bloke 2 or 3 rows behind me in the back row that had complained. If that bloke is reading this, can I just say you're a c unt and a cowardly c unt at that. After you realised that I knew what you had done when I pointed you out you f***ing legged it straight on the whistle like your pants were on fire. Wanker.

All the reasons why the 1901 club was definitely not for me, so glad I did not get involved with it

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The stewarding of the north stand reminds me of a time a guy on my dive boat got bitten by a moray eel. His mate was going on about how dangerous they were when first aid was being applied back on the boat. But the truth of the matter was the idiot had harassed it into going back into its hole....and then the stupid fucker put his hand down the hole to see if he could get it out again...saw it happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My last word on this - if you are going to continue to stand which is clearly (and probably) against the rules - dont come on here and start bitching about the club as if anything, the club are doing this as a warning, seeing as there has been weeks of doing nothing of course - which does nothing as well as the stewarding is so inconsistent.

The obsession with this rule.

On this low pitch bottom tier, with big seats and tons of leg room, there is no health and safety issue, other than to consultants justifying their 'expertise' and the belligerent lead stewards wanting to win this one over the 'troublemakers'.

Other clubs going by TV pictures are not enforcing this as much.

The club seem obsessed with this, and the dozens of NS stewards gathered in little gaggles whispering their next plan, must be costing the club fortunes in unnecessary payroll costs.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
My (not) last word is that this ain't your message board so you've got no place telling people what they can and can't say.

Ok what i said came out wrong and i worded it wrong. I mean its pretty pathetic if you then come on here bitching as you have already been warned and have said you are deliberately going to break the rules. (When i say "you", i dont mean you personally i mean it in general).

The obsession with this rule.

On this low pitch bottom tier, with big seats and tons of leg room, there is no health and safety issue, other than to consultants justifying their 'expertise' and the belligerent lead stewards wanting to win this one over the 'troublemakers'.

The same rules apply throughout the whole ground, at every ground across the country, just some clubs enforce them differently (why we take more of a hardline ive no idea).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Next thing: you'll try to get into the ground at the next home game, but your smart card won't work, after security and the snitch have deemed your two second crime to be worthy of a ban.

All seems very underhand these days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a mentality with groups of humans that states..if they can do it why can't I?

This is where at the albion sitting down in the north stand will never happen. The club made a HUGE miscalculation by allowing or at least implying that fans for x amount of rows in the north stand would be allowed leeway and a blind eye turned in their direction. Because the club were being nice guys and trying to be all things to all men, this was not enforced, OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, people were allowed< wrong word i know>to buy tickets to areas that standing would be permitted and therefore they now bitch like hell that they can't see.

The club, by trying to do the right thing has shot itself in the foot and there is NO way out of this that appeases people with grievances.

So what is the answer?

I suggest that people accept that fans will stand and if you are particularly vexed, as there are now many seats appearing to be free, you move to where you will be able to see the game. I know this involves some compromise, but I do not see any other way out

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Next thing: you'll try to get into the ground at the next home game, but your smart card won't work, after security and the snitch have deemed your two second crime to be worthy of a ban.

All seems very underhand these days.

I know we disagreed about the graffiti but I think you're right here. I am seriously expecting my friend, a chief exec of a very big local firm, to get a letter in the post about this. I'm embarrassed for him but I felt that I had to tell the steward he was out of order. And of course, I then had 3 or 4 hi-viz jackets glaring at me for the rest of the game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ok what i said came out wrong and i worded it wrong. I mean its pretty pathetic if you then come on here bitching as you have already been warned and have said you are deliberately going to break the rules. (When i say "you", i dont mean you personally i mean it in general).

The same rules apply throughout the whole ground, at every ground across the country, just some clubs enforce them differently (why we take more of a hardline ive no idea).

Obviously its the same regulation / law. Why are the Hebberd and his lead henchmen, so wanting to turn the NS into a quasi-family stand, and inadvertedly kill the atmosphere?

I never feel any sense of danger, pending disaster, threat, or anything negative amongst the Amex crowd in and around the ground. This really is a riduculous and highly staffed campaign by Hebberd.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know we disagreed about the graffiti but I think you're right here. I am seriously expecting my friend, a chief exec of a very big local firm, to get a letter in the post about this.

I have a nice seat in WSU, and never have trouble with authority, but feel like writing to TB and Barber, to give another perspective.

Their weekly safety meeting with Hebberd no doubt follows his assertive agenda and propaganda.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have a nice seat in WSU, and never have trouble with authority, but feel like writing to TB and Barber, to give another perspective.

Their weekly safety meeting with Hebberd no doubt follows his assertive agenda and propaganda.

I have have what I regard as the best seats in the stadium, front row WSU and near the halfway line and we all accept people eat up occasionally....don't we?

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
We could all learn a lot from Rugby Union
England v France last weekend 70,000 crowd and 99.99% sitting down
in an ALL SEATER STADIUM like the AMEX
Referees decision FINAL and he is not surrounded by players waving
hands etc etc etc
Your ticket clearly states the ground regulations which you should abide by

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
People want to stand, these people have bought tickets in an area where their standing will minimise blocking the views of others, it's clearly not dangerous, I really don't get the obtuse hostility to people standing. Just get a ticket somewhere else, problem solved.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We could all learn a lot from Rugby Union
England v France last weekend 70,000 crowd and 99.99% sitting down
in an ALL SEATER STADIUM like the AMEX
Referees decision FINAL and he is not surrounded by players waving
hands etc etc etc
Your ticket clearly states the ground regulations which you should abide by

Go and watch the f***ing rugger then you nause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here