Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand standing what a joke

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
North Stand Stewarding

As the name would imply I have been a steward before (last 3 years at Withdean and half the first season at the Amex.
I went to the game yesterday and was in the north stand and was shocked at the piss poor stewarding and the ejections. I know the response lot at Withdean were idiots, but my god this new breed are shocking. the biggest shock to me was the fact that they had to get the police in at half time to chuck a few people out - If I missed something and these people had actually committed serious offences then please ignore this but from my understanding the only crime was standing.

I have been away for a while so wondered Is it like this all the time? Also, from my memory the north stand was marketed as a rowdy place with standing tolerated in the back 4 rows. It was also marketed like this for when stewards were picking their preferred stand to work on - Surely the fact they are now doing this is false advertising and setting you up to fail?

Sorry to ramble on I am just genuinely shocked at how bad it was!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Costing the club money by not sitting down on seats is the most illogical idea I've read for a while.

Feb 14, 2010
:lol:

Probably not been keeping up here, but what's the actual league rules on having standing areas in the Championship & Premier League? Could it been done at the Amex within the rules? Seems to me that everybody would then win. The club could probably safely increase the capacity in the North by, dunno, 500 maybe, and everybody could stand to their hearts content. Or is that just crazy talk?

In a nutshell a few stewards are chucking out a few spotty teenagers for singing which is strange given that when they do force them all to sit down, Poyet will complain that the atmosphere has gone and the press wax lyrical about the atmosphere at Spurs where they stand. The stewards hide behind "elf and safety" and strangely rely on hillsborough even though it was fences that killed people there, and well there are no fences at Brighton. When will Brighton learn to stop shooting itself in the foot?

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
A lot of the cost of the stadium was in the seats. If we have cheap plastic shit then the cost would have been a bit cheaper. They put in comfy seats for us. If you don't bloody use them then you have effectively pushed up the prices of our season tickets (as the cost needs to be factored into there too). It has also meant that we are signing fewer qualities players as money needed to be poured into those seats.

Plus, if you truly supported your team you would obey the regulations in place and not put them in line for a fine.

If this ain't fishing then its a totally abject and pathetic post by a bit of a knob

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You hadn't spotted the HUGE thread about this

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That would only happen if it was clear they were a Palace fan or celebrating a Palace goal.....which you would be a MASSIVE idiot for doing in the Brighton area.

I'm talking about.......IN THEIR END !

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsearch facility

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I've sneaked up a few rows the last couple of games to get a better view, its not supporters that bother me standing up its the plastic stewards standing in a gaggle 4 deep on row s blocking my view!

I don't want to get in to what was said two years ago, or dispute the benefits of a rowdy North STAND to the games as a whole.

However, Hebberd and co are legally required to enforce the all-seater nature of the stadium as part of its safety certificate. Whether we agree or not, that is what they are legally bound to do. If they are not seen to be doing so, at some stage we could risk having areas of the stadium closed or capacity reduced- as has happened at some prem grounds where away fans have stood persistently.

In essence, if we sit down when asked and then stand up again at some suitable moment of excitement, everyone will have been playing the game if you like. Refusing to sit may be principled, but it is the equivalent of driving off at speed when a copper has stopped you for speeding and then given you a warning (not suggesting this is the same danger). You could expect the copper to then nick you!

The club cannot "agree" to standing persistently until safe standing areas can be licensed legally, whatever individual officer might personally want. They will have to talk the talk about ground regs, and chuck out random people who don't sit down quick enough.

Interestingly, I see the Palace board are pushing hard to incorporate a safe standing area into a revamped Selhurst- but until the Taylor Report regs are recalibrated for Football Grounds, this stand up/sit down game will continue. We have even had it in the back row of the SW corner!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Is it that difficult to sit down? Be honest. You knew when you bought your ticket which areas were designated for standing. People seem to have a sense of entitlement to everything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
White Hart Lane today, everyone standing again.

Why is Hebberd so obsessed with one stand at the Amex? What's the big CRIME, with dozens of paid stewards in groups planning their next move against their own fans in what must be a safe low tier?

Feb 14, 2010
I don't want to get in to what was said two years ago, or dispute the benefits of a rowdy North STAND to the games as a whole.

However, Hebberd and co are legally required to enforce the all-seater nature of the stadium as part of its safety certificate. Whether we agree or not, that is what they are legally bound to do. If they are not seen to be doing so, at some stage we could risk having areas of the stadium closed or capacity reduced- as has happened at some prem grounds where away fans have stood persistently.

In essence, if we sit down when asked and then stand up again at some suitable moment of excitement, everyone will have been playing the game if you like. Refusing to sit may be principled, but it is the equivalent of driving off at speed when a copper has stopped you for speeding and then given you a warning (not suggesting this is the same danger). You could expect the copper to then nick you!

The club cannot "agree" to standing persistently until safe standing areas can be licensed legally, whatever individual officer might personally want. They will have to talk the talk about ground regs, and chuck out random people who don't sit down quick enough.

Interestingly, I see the Palace board are pushing hard to incorporate a safe standing area into a revamped Selhurst- but until the Taylor Report regs are recalibrated for Football Grounds, this stand up/sit down game will continue. We have even had it in the back row of the SW corner!

So are Spurs and Leeds but they have the common sense to look into the distance whistling instead of causing a problem by throwing people out for singing at a football match. If it was say West Stand Lower or the family stand then sure, but anyone with an ounce of common sense at the club would let the kids be kids as they are the future. Also Poyet will moan if the atmosphere takes a dive and the club really cant have it both ways. I just think someone has left their common sense behind.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'm talking about.......IN THEIR END !

Ah, fair enough then.

No, they wont be thrown out of course. They didnt tell the Huddersfield fans to sit down yesterday, but told the North to do it. This double standard stewarding doesnt help things either, should be 1 rule for all or no rule at all.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Queens Park Pete is right.

My twopeneth is that the order to try and get EVERYONE sitting most of the time is so the police can monitor anyone who is causing trouble and know who they are. If the club did say that the no standing rule in the north would be relaxed they were probably wrong to do so and did not have the authority to allow it. Its a bit like someone saying its ok to park in someones car park when they don't actually have control to allow it,

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we will be allowed safe standing areas in UK grounds, if they do they will be sanitised areas nothing like what people expect. ~It will probably be the equivalent of an organised choir group.

I'm surprised no one filmed the stewards if they were aggressive

Feb 14, 2010

My twopeneth is that the order to try and get EVERYONE sitting most of the time is so the police can monitor anyone who is causing trouble and know who they are. If the club did say that the no standing rule in the north would be relaxed they were probably wrong to do so and did not have the authority to allow it. Its a bit like someone saying its ok to park in someones car park when they don't actually have control to allow it,

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we will be allowed safe standing areas in UK grounds, if they do they will be sanitised areas nothing like what people expect. ~It will probably be the equivalent of an organised choir group.

I take it you have not been to Spurs, Leeds or many a ground up and down the country. Brighton are again shooting itself in the foot. Its our speciality, we even gave Murray to our rivals to bang in 28 goals so far, now we want to chuck out fans that get behind the team and piss off the younger generation. Strange club at times are Brighton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is, without a doubt, the most pathetic thing I have ever read.

Agreed.

There is no fine heading the Albion's way.

If this was the case, there would be large and regular fines heading the way of ManU, Spurs, Liverpool, Palace, Stoke, Leeds .... where quite clearly for most of every game, there are one or two stands with mass disregard for this regulation.

The regulation and potential penalties is a fact, but most clubs and the football authorities are taking a pragmatic approach.

Hebberd and his team of henchman have turned this into a cause celebre, where they must beat the 2,500 rabble. Pathetic.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

But there needs to be a bit of common sense. Of course the club can't condone it and the stewards need to be seen to be doing something, we all know what the rules are.

The grey area is how hard they try to enforce it. Most of the time they get it right and just tell people to sit down without ejections or aggressive behaviour toward fans, yesterday they went completely over the top and it is just totally unnecessary.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But there needs to be a bit of common sense. Of course the club can't condone it and the stewards need to be seen to be doing something, we all know what the rules are.

The grey area is how hard they try to enforce it. Most of the time they get it right and just tell people to sit down without ejections or aggressive behaviour toward fans, yesterday they went completely over the top and it is just totally unnecessary.

Stewards at WHLane right now, semi watching the game and out of the way.

At the Amex, whispering and staring at the NS punters. Weird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here