Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand standing what a joke

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The problem is, most stewards don't concoct stories. People make stories up on here to suit their agenda, much in the same way bigbelly was found out to do.

Complete tosh. Are you in the NS ?. Eh?
I was very near an incident last year. A steward had a word with a female fan, it seemed over nothing. At half time this same steward was in a debate with this fan and some other males nearby. This steward who's English was not the best, had no argument, so stated that the woman had sworn at a female steward (where have we heard that one before ) and i then stated this was not the case.
The steward then made a meal of it, the police came over, we explained what happened, that steward was sacked i believe, never seen him since.
Sometimes it is handy if you are near the incident, or even in the NS, instead of from afar eh.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Have stood for 90 minutes this season,it can and is done,i suspect Palace will do the same. Fuso 553.jpgFuso 554.jpg

It's wrong to make fans sit down especially in the North stand

Feb 14, 2010
There are clearly some very unhappy punters in the North Stand. If I ran the Albion then I would spend a few games in the North Stand asking the punters what they thought and then look to make some changes.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I sit WSL so I know that these events have no direct affect to me. However as supporters we have worked with the club for many years since the dark days of Archer and co in order to get where we are today.

Before this gets totally out of hand and there is all out war against the clubs employees (stewards) why don't the NorthSTANDERS get a petition put into The Board with your points. While NSC is a fantastic forum rather than ranting on here you really do need to sit down with the club and iron out all problems.

I often say that with The Amex it's a huge learning curve for all parties, get a committee together of NorthSTANDERS and sit down (pardon the pun) with the club. I'm sure that some of the rules / laws are set by The FA and that there is no room for movement but you really do need to find a middle ground for dicussion.

The ground needs the NorthSTANDERS and the atmsophere created within, you do a great job and keep up the singing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I have even stood in row v of the "Plush seats" albeit for 2 minutes at kick off :lolol: Fuso 528.jpg That be just in front of the Bupa lounge Row V lower west hospitality

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
A lot of the cost of the stadium was in the seats. If we have cheap plastic shit then the cost would have been a bit cheaper. They put in comfy seats for us. If you don't bloody use them then you have effectively pushed up the prices of our season tickets (as the cost needs to be factored into there too). It has also meant that we are signing fewer qualities players as money needed to be poured into those seats.

Plus, if you truly supported your team you would obey the regulations in place and not put them in line for a fine.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
The problem we have at the moment is that the club is taking the fight (rather than communication) to the Northstand. Personally, I am not an advocate of Safe Standing, only that the reality is that in a modern ground such as ours, it really is safe to stand and that certain smallish areas should be allowed to do so, subject to understanding that if asked by a fellow fan, you should sit down as much as you can..

Other fans should understand which areas are designated like this but equally we should understand that new fans to the area may not have a prior understanding of this and may need to be accomodated from time to time.

The North Stand as a whole is now less than 10% of the capacity and I think it is fair that the central 3 blocks are understood to be 'areas of possible standing' as they are areas where most viewing is on a vertical line of sight. Fans have an appreciation that the perspective is different as you go towards the wings and that standing there may well have a detrimental effect on a number of sightlines.

These are the sorts of debate that we should be having with the club but there is nothing coming back the other way.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
A lot of the cost of the stadium was in the seats. If we have cheap plastic shit then the cost would have been a bit cheaper. They put in comfy seats for us. If you don't bloody use them then you have effectively pushed up the prices of our season tickets (as the cost needs to be factored into there too). It has also meant that we are signing fewer qualities players as money needed to be poured into those seats.

Plus, if you truly supported your team you would obey the regulations in place and not put them in line for a fine.

16 pages and you are still banging on?

Can I just clarify - are you simply taking the piss?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Disagree,if................no when Palace stand & are allowed too,i expect the North to do the same,en mass it would be hard to steward.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The problem is, most stewards don't concoct stories. People make stories up on here to suit their agenda, much in the same way bigbelly was found out to do.

You know this for certain do you.

I have posted on here before on another thread before Christmas that I witnessed two female stewards making a story up to suit their agenda, I am happy to stand by the accusation, so am I a liar ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

:facepalm: do you really believe what you are posting. What about banning OAP's and Children as they are paying far less that proper adult fans which will really hit our promotion surge. Same with those selfish people who eat and drink in pubs and don't buy food at the ground - and as for those who will not buy a football shirt, ban them. Lastly those really selfish people who get Dunk on their backs instead of Mackail-Smith - just those alone could pay Bridge's salary for a season next year.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I want the stewards to remove any Palace fan that stands in the game coming up. Then and only then will I defend the stewards actions yesterday.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I want the stewards to remove any Palace fan that stands in the game coming up. Then and only then will I defend the stewards actions yesterday.

Perhaps the Stewards could swap ends for 1 game only

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

That would only happen if it was clear they were a Palace fan or celebrating a Palace goal.....which you would be a MASSIVE idiot for doing in the Brighton area.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

That is, without a doubt, the most pathetic thing I have ever read.

Feb 14, 2010
I wonder if the club might do a "secret punter" fact finding exercise by sending someone to spend say 5 games in the North Stand talking to their punters and seeing the behaviour of the stewards first hand. Then they can look to address what seems to be an issue.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Before this gets totally out of hand and there is all out war against the clubs employees (stewards) why don't the NorthSTANDERS get a petition put into The Board with your points. While NSC is a fantastic forum rather than ranting on here you really do need to sit down with the club and iron out all problems.

:lol:

Probably not been keeping up here, but what's the actual league rules on having standing areas in the Championship & Premier League? Could it been done at the Amex within the rules? Seems to me that everybody would then win. The club could probably safely increase the capacity in the North by, dunno, 500 maybe, and everybody could stand to their hearts content. Or is that just crazy talk?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The problem we have at the moment is that the club is taking the fight (rather than communication) to the Northstand. Personally, I am not an advocate of Safe Standing, only that the reality is that in a modern ground such as ours, it really is safe to stand and that certain smallish areas should be allowed to do so, subject to understanding that if asked by a fellow fan, you should sit down as much as you can..

Other fans should understand which areas are designated like this but equally we should understand that new fans to the area may not have a prior understanding of this and may need to be accomodated from time to time.

The North Stand as a whole is now less than 10% of the capacity and I think it is fair that the central 3 blocks are understood to be 'areas of possible standing' as they are areas where most viewing is on a vertical line of sight. Fans have an appreciation that the perspective is different as you go towards the wings and that standing there may well have a detrimental effect on a number of sightlines.

These are the sorts of debate that we should be having with the club but there is nothing coming back the other way.

Good post and I think it reflects most people's feeling on the subject.

As someone said earlier, the standing situation is largely self policing. There isn't a problem with people not being able to see, 99% of people in the back half clearly want to stand up.

I think most are happy with the status quo that sometimes they will be asked to sit down by the stewards because they have to be seen to do their job. This is fine and 99% of the time everyone sits down for a while and then stands up when something exciting happens. This is what happened in the first season without problem or incident until the Bristol City game. It is also what happens at most other grounds.

A problem is being created where it doesn't exist because of the attitude and behaviour of some stewards.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

I agree, the new seats are amazing. We have come a long way since crumbling terraces at Gillingham. But then you wouldn't know this because you never followed the club then unlike many of the hard core northstanders who STOOD up and were counted so you could air you pathetic arguments now we have a brand new shiny stadium. No wonder you're so pro sitting down. You sat on your fat arse from 1994 to 2011...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here