Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker invited on fans phone-in this Saturday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Curious Orange said:
Someone should ask Norman Baker whether he'd give Falmer his backing should the Inquiry find that Falmer IS the best site in Brighton & Hove for a stadium.

Don't ask though. He would say No and political points will be lost.

Ask the Greens this though as their election manifesto said they would go with the verdict. Then if they did say No, you have a counter.

Always try and forecast the answer if you want to score political points.

If you want a straight answer to a question, by all means ask him?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
perseus said:
Don't ask though. He would say No and political points will be lost.

Ask the Greens this though as their election manifesto said they would go with the verdict. Then if they did say No, you have a counter.

Always try and forecast the answer if you want to score political points.

If you want a straight answer to a question, by all means ask him?

Baker has always said that he didn't think that Falmer was the best site but has refused to nominate anywhere else as actually being better. If the Inquiry concludes that Falmer is the best site (within the terms laid out by the ODPM) will Mr Baker be big enough to admit that he was wrong I wonder?

Probably not I suspect....

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The issue NB has is that it is in his opinion that Falmer is the wrong place........if the Inspector finds that in HIS opinion it is in the right place, then it does not matter in the slightest if NB changes his mind...why should he?

I think that Bovril is disgusting, but just because some nutritionist says its very nice and good for you, that would not change my opinion of it.

What we have here is the opinion of an inspector based on perceived evidence by interested parties, who will pass his opinion on to JB who will rule for or against based on his opinion.

Its all about opinions:lolol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BensGrandad said:
I will try but who knows who will get through.

Surely Harty could ensure that you get on by ringing you.

They always call people back in any case.

PM him and give him a number to contact you on.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
dave the gaffer said:
Its all about opinions:lolol:

If only that was the case, under a proper democratic system the opinion of the majority would carry and we'd already be playing there!!

However it is also our social duty to protect, where needed, the interests of the minority too. So here we are; Inquiry.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Curious Orange said:
Baker has always said that he didn't think that Falmer was the best site but has refused to nominate anywhere else as actually being better. If the Inquiry concludes that Falmer is the best site (within the terms laid out by the ODPM) will Mr Baker be big enough to admit that he was wrong I wonder?

Probably not I suspect....

Would you if the decision goes the other way?

(It is highly unlikely another site would be recommended by the Inspector instead.)

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Getting a bit tedious but for the umpteenth time, the only way you stop the "Lesley's from Hove" getting on is by calling yourself.
We've trained Colon to realise that when a phone line rings it needs answering, so it would be good if even a fraction of the people who have talked about calling on this thread actually did it.
Aside from Falmer there's also the Withdean tenancy debacle along with the season ticket letters arrving and that's even before a ball has been kicked in anger at Ninian Park.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Curious Orange said:
If only that was the case, under a proper democratic system the opinion of the majority would carry and we'd already be playing there!!

However it is also our social duty to protect, where needed, the interests of the minority too. So here we are; Inquiry.

It's a strange one. At lunchtime, a couple of days ago, radio 2 carried an item about a Tesco's store in Scotland. They applied for planning permission, got it, but some people started protests.
The local MP called for a referendum. The overwhelming majority voted for it. Tescos was built without any further inquiry and some of the protestors themselves use it now.

So why the public inquiry for us? We already had the vote from the council, the referendum and support from the people of Brighton.

It's those damned four letters AONB
:angry:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
It's a strange one. At lunchtime, a couple of days ago, radio 2 carried an item about a Tesco's store in Scotland. They applied for planning permission, got it, but some people started protests.
The local MP called for a referendum. The overwhelming majority voted for it. Tescos was built without any further inquiry and some of the protestors themselves use it now.

So why the public inquiry for us? We already had the vote from the council, the referendum and support from the people of Brighton.

It's those damned four letters AONB

:angry:

Exactlt what I said on another thread TESCO always get what they want.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BensGrandad said:
Exactlt what I said on another thread TESCO always get what they want.

In this case it was the PEOPLE getting what they wanted - it just happened to coincide with what TESCO wanted too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it was to be built in say Preston park or Corals, then yes it would have gone ahead, but as you know it is on the edge of a boundary that will impinge on another Council's authority, ie LDC.

It was always going to go public enquiry wasn't it

To keep raking up all this old ground about Tesco's and stuff is just winding yourself up about nothing. We are where we are.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tescos should pay the Albion a royalty for using our colours :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here