Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Season Ticket Holders Unite - Ticket Plans For Next Season

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me the PSL is like the Ten Year Season Ticket of yesteryear. Totally rrelevent to all but a few. The club should not be basing marketing around the few. We're not going to be buying PSLs en masse because, frankly, we weren't born yesterday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am in the position with cricket, holidays, choir etc that i will probably miss around 6 or 7 games next year ( although I may be lucky and time it that we are away for those games not at Falmer) and I would be loathe to give away my ticket to someone I don't know.....it was easy to just give a paper ticket away, but there is the point about getting your smart card back.

Hopefully the club will come up with a decent scheme for ticket exchange. Lets all wait and see.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
West Ham have a great version of the sell on scheme.
You give up your unwanted seat and they sell it on,they get all the cash and you get a fuzzy feel good feeling for helping out your team and fellow fans.
NOT all teams have the standard practice of which you speak.
The same "loyalty" con trick is standard practice in the Prem.

A rip-off involving Gold, Sullivan and Brady ? Well I never.

Nobody is going to bother registering with a ticket exchange that involves the proceeds of your re-sold ticket going straight back into the clubs coffers, whats the bleedin' point of that ?

The Fulham model is hardly unique, and looks like being exactly the kind of scheme the Albion should be looking at adopting. A re-sold ticket, minus some commission so you get the bulk of your money back on it and the club gets an extra bum on a seat to milk on match day. Everybodies happy.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
You're right. It will be a trusting soul indeed who entrusts their swipe card ST to a complete stranger.

Sounds like the club haven't got anything in place at all.

THPP, I had you down as much better than that. Sorry but I don't agree with your comment at all.... of course you wouldn't give it to a complete stranger.....Unless you are Billy no mates or have no family, are you seriously telling me you don't have someone "you know" that can/ or would like to use your swipe card if you couldn't use it for a game you couldn't attend...This is what happens in the big boys league..Sounds to me Ken they still want a Limo to the ground. I just knew those free bus stubs would come and nip the club in the back-side

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well this is about the most annoying thread I've read on here. I opened it to read about the different ways I as a non-STH can get a ticket for a game and its turned into yet another STH whingefest. You're all becoming very tiresome.

Us non-STH's know it will be very difficult to get a ticket for the glamour games, regardless of whether a ticket exchange is or isn't set up, and pretty straightforward to get a ticket for all the rest via normal sales. 18,000 season tickets means the pool of committed fans wanting tickets on a match-by-match basis will be much smaller than at Withdean.

To those posters who have a PSL, how will you sell your tickets if you can't go? Private sale or via a ticket exchange at the club?

The value of Z is not fixed and can go up or down on a match by match basis according to the whim of the supporter.

You seem to have convieniently overlooked this fact. Indeed assuming that the figure is fixed for perpituity is an absolutely illogical assumption.

The ONLY figure that matters to the club accounts is profit or loss, and no amount of statistical calculation will change that.

All your suggesting is a link between turnover and attendance - which you think will be a result of a ticket exchange scheme although I can see NO evidence to support this claim. If the individual supporter keeps his wallet closed then the already tenuous link between the two is irrevocably broken.

This is actually more in-accurate than that geezer who said the world was going to end this weekend.

Of course the sales / revenue or profit from matchday sales (progs, food, rep kits or whatever) will 100% have a common link to the number attending.

Bozza is spot on. Z is the correct figure. Z x a game at the emirates will be about 10 times Z x a game at say Griffin Park.

Total guess, but I reckon revenue is about £4 per person on average. I reckon profit will be about £2.50.

Tip: Never ever consider being self employed!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
THPP, I had you down as much better than that. Sorry but I don't agree with your comment at all.... of course you wouldn't give it to a complete stranger.....Unless you are Billy no mates or have no family, are you seriously telling me you don't have someone "you know" that can/ or would like to use your swipe card if you couldn't use it for a game you couldn't attend...

Well I can only compare it to not being able to use a ticket at Withdean due to being on holiday etc. Invariably I'd give my ticket to somebody I know who is already a ticket holder with instructions for them to find it a good home. no names, no pack drill, and I never expect to see that ticket again and I sometimes have no idea who the ticket ends up with, other than its ended up in the hands of a fellow Albion fan. Whole new ball game with a swipe card :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So you could have saved yourself three acres of smallprint if you'd bothered reading the first line. Selling on a football ticket IS perfectly legal if its done through an authorised channel, which is exacly what Fulham FC do via Seatwave, and is precisely what the Albion should be doing as well.

And contrary to what you claim, the funds from the resale go back to the STH, not the club (you do NOT need a PSL to get your money back).

And contrary to what you claim, just like every other STH, you will always get 1st refusal on renewing your existing seat - the club are not going to oust you from your WSU perch and lob you over to the back corner of the family stand. You didn't need to splash out five-hundred quid for that.

I've said it before. You've been sold a PUP.

So.....genuinely, WHAT is the point of a PSL?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So.....genuinely, WHAT is the point of a PSL?

1. As it stands, it appears the club are only offering an official ticket exchange facility for PSL owners.

2. If you ever decide to give up your season ticket, you can bequeath your seat to someone (ie a friend/family member), rather than surrendering it back to the club.

3. If you ever decide to give up your season ticket, you can put it up for sale at whatever price you like. If there is a waiting list, you might make a profit.

4. Err.

5. Thats it.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Am I wrong in thinking that it is also likely the swipe card will have cash loaded on it for use in the cashless stadium?

That was my understanding. Which patently makes it even less feasible to be handing over the swipe card. Certainly one way of ending up cashless!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Am I wrong in thinking that it is also likely the swipe card will have cash loaded on it for use in the cashless stadium?

That is the long-term aim, but from what I've heard it sounds like that won't be up and running from the start. They are looking at bringing that in though.

Crouch End Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Well this is about the most annoying thread I've read on here. I opened it to read about the different ways I as a non-STH can get a ticket for a game and its turned into yet another STH whingefest. You're all becoming very tiresome.

Apologies for starting it!

Not really, it's been interesting I think and the season ticket exchange system is one thing that unites both STH and Non STH - hope the club do the right thing and aren't blinded by their success at flogging so many season tickets this year.

Demand for Amex tickets also creates another situation of course - Brighton fans buying tickets in the away end. Won't be fun but if it's the only way I'll get to a game there next season I'd do it.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1. As it stands, it appears the club are only offering an official ticket exchange facility for PSL owners.

2. If you ever decide to give up your season ticket, you can bequeath your seat to someone (ie a friend/family member), rather than surrendering it back to the club.

3. If you ever decide to give up your season ticket, you can put it up for sale at whatever price you like. If there is a waiting list, you might make a profit.

4. Err.

5. Thats it.

So if we're being brutally honest, practically SHIT ALL?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Whole new ball game with a swipe card :shrug:

I don't think it is. You just give your swipe card to the person you sit with at the last game you can attend. They meet person that is using your ST and swipe them through the turnstyle. They take your swipecard back ASAP and then return it to you at the next game you attend.

The only issue is if people used to post their ticket to unknowns, that will be a big nono

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So if we're being brutally honest, practically SHIT ALL?

Well, Storer68 will peddle the "fact" that with his PSL, he is now apparently insured against the club ever moving him from his current seat in the WSU (if they expand the 1901 further, or whatever). Personally I can't see the club ever going down that particular route, especially as you've got lots and lots of large clusters of fans who have purchased their seats to sit together in groups, they wouldn't take kindly to being split and/or scattered around the ground according to some future whim of the club. You piss off your regular paying customers at your peril. But then maybe I'm too trusting. Storer has also questioned whether STH's will ALWAYS get first refusal on renewing their particular seat. Again, we've always had that option in the past, they confirmed at the presentation that this will always be the case in the future, and I honestly cannot ever see that changing.

Where I can see a possible advantage to a PSL is if you're going to be away for long chunks of the season, but you want to retain your seat and regularly sell it to someone, on the understandnig that once you're back, you're taking your seat back. There was a guy at our presentation who was going to Uni in Manchester and so would only make it back down occasionally, maybe a PSL would be useful in that instance ?

Otherwise though, I really don't see the point.

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
As someone who has only just found himself in a position where he would be around for games (and possibly actually afford to), and thus doesn't have a season ticket, I'm very much hoping that the numerous people I know who are STHs know what a trustworthy chap I am

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Well, Storer68 will peddle the "fact" that with his PSL, he is now apparently insured against the club ever moving him from his current seat in the WSU (if they expand the 1901 further, or whatever). Personally I can't see the club ever going down that particular route, especially as you've got lots and lots of large clusters of fans who have purchased their seats to sit together in groups, they wouldn't take kindly to being split and/or scattered around the ground according to some future whim of the club. You piss off your regular paying customers at your peril. But then maybe I'm too trusting. Storer has also questioned whether STH's will ALWAYS get first refusal on renewing their particular seat. Again, we've always had that option in the past, they confirmed at the presentation that this will always be the case in the future, and I honestly cannot ever see that changing.

Where I can see a possible advantage to a PSL is if you're going to be away for long chunks of the season, but you want to retain your seat and regularly sell it to someone, on the understandnig that once you're back, you're taking your seat back. There was a guy at our presentation who was going to Uni in Manchester and so would only make it back down occasionally, maybe a PSL would be useful in that instance ?

Otherwise though, I really don't see the point.

It will also depend on how easy the club make it to safely sell your seat if you can't make the game. I think most people will get around this by having a friend or relation that will attend - meeting the recipient outside and taking the card back after they've gone through.
Other than that it's like commodity trading where you take a view on the future demand for seats in a particular location. If demand is high and you have a good seat then you may be able to sell it at a profit if you need to give up your ST.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here