Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

no virgo retractions then?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El P, you do wish to provoke dont you. The london police force investigate transfers and given the Gary Sprake revelations and the george Graaham issues then punters have a right to look at transfers with a sideways glance. Why did celtic buy a brighton centre back who had been stuck up front as he was not at the time our best centre back, and pay a fee the same that we received for Zamora? It is a question and a valid question, that with respect you cannot answer because you are not "in the know". Only the parties will know, but half of Ireland and many a brighton fan have made many a comment about it. Bad business, yeah sure, i agree, that is probably it and there is no evidence to say otherwise but football is under scrutiny for a reason. Is that good enough for you or dyou want to start another argument in another empty room?

Err.......I haven't said a word about the voices in your head that have convinced you that there was something underhand and shady about the transfer. I think you need to refer those voices to Lord Bracknell.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
unsurprisingly, having just reviewed various reports and interviews on yesterday's game all of which seemed to have Adam Virgo as at least one of our best, not a single retraction of any of the short sighted vitriol and rumours aimed at our erstwhile skipper, just typical.

What are you talking about? Adam Virgo has been diabolical for us this season, and against Rushden and Diamonds he looked Ryman League standard. He has now had one good game against a crap League Two side. Your point is...?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Err.......I haven't said a word about the voices in your head that have convinced you that there was something underhand and shady about the transfer. I think you need to refer those voices to Lord Bracknell.

oh yes my apologies, I meant Lord B !.. but er read the post again, im not convinced but ..oh why bother! Yeah sure football is full of very nice people

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
The fact that Virgo isn't necessarily a spent force yet, is perhaps (and I hope) unlikely to leave, and should be given a break by SOME of his more OTT NSC critics. If THEY choose not to then fine, I'm sure they will continue to deride him, that's their opinion, but it's not mine - I think he still has much to offer as, at the very least a sub, and possibly still as a first choice next to Tunnicliffe.
I'm not calling people childish names, I'm stating my viewpoint, right or wrong.

You're a very confused young man. When players play well, people praise them. When players play badly, they are criticised.

Virgo has been appalling, actually embarrassingly bad, in about 60% of the matches he has played this season.

Yesterday he played well. If he continues to play like that, people will continue to praise him. Thats how it works. Which part of that confuses you exactly?

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
There has not been much between our centre halves this season, all of them have been poor. Tunniclife seems void of criticism because he's new, but as far as marking goes he's probably the worst of the bunch, often losing his man. Elphick has picked his game up a bit lately, but he's still not been strong enough.

Although Virgo was poor under Adams last season (lets remember he got f***ed about in terms of positions a fair amount), under Slade in the relegation-battle he was very solid. He still has the ability to be a good player at this level, as do Tunniclife and Elphick, there's not much between them as players. Given a chance hopefully Virgo can prove he is still an asset.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
unsurprisingly, having just reviewed various reports and interviews on yesterday's game all of which seemed to have Adam Virgo as at least one of our best, not a single retraction of any of the short sighted vitriol and rumours aimed at our erstwhile skipper, just typical.

Whilst I don't agree with vitriol aimed at any of our players I have to say that Virgo is a liability at the back. Instead of holding his ground when a ball is coming into the forward he always wants to shove them in the back of hack them down if beaten for pace. If he retains the shirt for any length of time then expect us to concede a numerous amount of dangerous free kicks around the box and the odd penalty and sending off.

oh yes my apologies, I meant Lord B !.. but er read the post again, im not convinced but ..oh why bother! Yeah sure football is full of very nice people
As you say ... only "the parties in the know" will know. Sometimes those parties speak.

Virgo's transfer at £1.5 million came about because the Celtic board were foolish enough to interpret that figure as a price, when it was intended to be a way of telling them that Virgo wasn't for sale. And all because of a misguided wish on the part of Celtic to make a gesture of goodwill to their new manager.

No "George Graham issues" at all.

You may not be convinced. Half of Ireland may not be convinced. But it is a FACT that there are some very stupid people at the top of football.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
As you say ... only "the parties in the know" will know. Sometimes those parties speak.

Virgo's transfer at £1.5 million came about because the Celtic board were foolish enough to interpret that figure as a price, when it was intended to be a way of telling them that Virgo wasn't for sale. And all because of a misguided wish on the part of Celtic to make a gesture of goodwill to their new manager.

No "George Graham issues" at all.

You may not be convinced. Half of Ireland may not be convinced. But it is a FACT that there are some very stupid people at the top of football.

Im sure you are right as I said in my longer post but one word to the wise, which Im sure does not apply here, is that the most common defence to fraud is stupidity. Another reason why us punters have every right to cast a sideways glance at lots of things that happen in football, including Man U 10 minutes of extra time this year. But probably again just stupid than anything more

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
You're a very confused young man. When players play well, people praise them. When players play badly, they are criticised.

Virgo has been appalling, actually embarrassingly bad, in about 60% of the matches he has played this season.

Yesterday he played well. If he continues to play like that, people will continue to praise him. Thats how it works. Which part of that confuses you exactly?
Young man, thankyou indeed sir, has been many a moon since I've had that monicker thrown at me....

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I suspect we could have a back four of Fred West, Osama Bin Laden. Gary Glitter and Harold Shipman and so long as they kept a clean sheet on a regular basis we would be praising them to the heavens.

And that's what being a football fan is all about±
That's a ridiculous statement. For a start West would always be digging a hole for himself and Bin Laden always goes missing at key moments

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There has not been much between our centre halves this season, all of them have been poor. Tunniclife seems void of criticism because he's new, but as far as marking goes he's probably the worst of the bunch, often losing his man. Elphick has picked his game up a bit lately, but he's still not been strong enough.

Although Virgo was poor under Adams last season (lets remember he got f***ed about in terms of positions a fair amount), under Slade in the relegation-battle he was very solid. He still has the ability to be a good player at this level, as do Tunniclife and Elphick, there's not much between them as players. Given a chance hopefully Virgo can prove he is still an asset.

I think Virgo differentiates himself by his total lack of interest in trying to play the ball out of defence. The others at least try this option on occasion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm AMAZED that 3 pages in and no one has mentioned that a KEY reason a number of fans attitudes dimmed towards Virgo were due to his comments shortly before Slade's sacking.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm AMAZED that 3 pages in and no one has mentioned that a KEY reason a number of fans attitudes dimmed towards Virgo were due to his comments shortly before Slade's sacking.

Well Im prepared to give Virgo the benefit of the doubt!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here