Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

no virgo retractions then?

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Nail on the head. Serious competition is hopefully the boost our underperforming squad need. I still don't think Virgo is the answer in that position, but will concede that he got plaudits yesterday, lets hope he can do it on a consistent level for however long he has left at the club.

Consistency is the key word.
Too many players are too inconsistent. Thats why Gus has been ringing the changes, to see which combination lets him down the least.
As a defensive unit, we have been shambolic this season and Gus has given almost every combination a chance ( with the exception of Hawkins ) As he is still making changes, one has to conclude that maybe the answer lies in new blood. Jake Smith has already been shipped out on loan and others may follow.
If you asked 10 BHA fans in the street to name their favoured back four, I bet you would get at least 8 different combinations.
Virgo is wholehearted and committed but could not be relied upon to play a whole season at centre-back.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No I would not, and who has said that? But then again, they play professional football in a working class sport and they do need to get a backbone.

Who says he doesn't have a backbone?

If I was earning £3,000 a week, had played at Celtic Park, The Millenium Stadium, scored goals in play-offs, The Championship etc, I wouldn't be too worried about comments from an overweight unsuccessful nomark (and I'm not referring to you here), but it doesn't make those said comments necessary or wanted on NSC.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
virgo actually hasn't been that bad this season and imo should not have been dropped. unfortunately he has been a poor captain.

last season he was played constantly out of position but he played very well in the great escape, which people seem to forget.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who says he doesn't have a backbone?

If I was earning £3,000 a week, had played at Celtic Park, The Millenium Stadium, scored goals in play-offs, The Championship etc, I wouldn't be too worried about comments from an overweight unsuccessful nomark (and I'm not referring to you here), but it doesn't make those said comments necessary or wanted on NSC.
Quite clearly there is a happy medium between pointing out that a player is a bit shit and wishing him a slow and painful death, which I believe ONE poster suggested.

But here, the OP was piously whinging at "short sighted vitriol and rumours". He was not whinging at the one and only poster who simply went too far.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Quite clearly there is a happy medium between pointing out that a player is a bit shit and wishing him a slow and painful death, which I believe ONE poster suggested.

But here, the OP was piously whinging at "short sighted vitriol and rumours". He was not whinging at the one and only poster who simply went too far.

Yup :thumbsup:

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I have a feeling we all pretty much agree with each other. We all wish Virgo and the rest of the players well. Some of us wonder about the £1.5 Million transfer and a George Graham moment as against bad business. Others see nothing strange about the transfer. I think most of us think Virgo should never have been asked to play full back or midfield because he is not quick or skillful enough. That was not his fault, just poor management by Adams and then for a while by Slade as well. The team have left us 5th from bottom and i think we all agree that to mount a promotion charge next season then the players have much to prove if they are to be a member of that squad. I hope that is not hurting anyone's feelings, but if it is, then friggin tough!:wink:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Two things.
1) This is a discussion board for all things Albion.
2) He's clearly been utter crap all season, and wasn't very good last season either. How dare anyone suggest he's not very good eh...you sanctimoneous tosser.

Quite right Mr Simster, as ever the voice of reason.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I think you are alone in wondering about this.

Who, exactly, are you insinuating took a bung?

quote the entire sentence and then I will reply fully. That transfer however has been th topic of many a joke and comment with the people I know that follow the albion. Has it not been with your mates... really not? Also read the entire post and you might want to try and not start an argument in an empty room

quote the entire sentence and then I will reply fully. That transfer however has been th topic of many a joke and comment with the people I know that follow the albion. Has it not been with your mates... really not? Also read the entire post and you might want to try and not start an argument in an empty room
OK.

"Some of us wonder about the £1.5 Million transfer and a George Graham moment as against bad business".

The reason I raise this is that you dismissed the well-sourced explanation that I gave (on the "Virgo says farewell" thread) as just a story. And you've now suggested again that this might have been a "George Graham moment".

It wasn't.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I suspect we could have a back four of Fred West, Osama Bin Laden. Gary Glitter and Harold Shipman and so long as they kept a clean sheet on a regular basis we would be praising them to the heavens.

And that's what being a football fan is all about±

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Would you therefore say Jamie that telling our back four to 'f*** off and die slowly' is fair comment?

In my book, if we play shit, then give them some grief, if we play well, then give them some praise, but try to keep it in perspective, it's only a game, and no matter how bad they are, they are still ten times better than us (Mickey Bennett and Ashley Neal excepted of course!)
:thumbsup:

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Two things.
1) This is a discussion board for all things Albion.
2) He's clearly been utter crap all season, and wasn't very good last season either. How dare anyone suggest he's not very good eh...you sanctimoneous tosser.
ah, I see, so by adding to the discussion (which is what this board is for, as you say) and speaking my own personal mind I'm a sanctimoneous tosser, nice....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is, and has been for some time, my opinion that Virgo is the best centre back at the club. Tunnicliffe has potential but needs to learn to attack the ball when contesting headers rather than allow it to bounce and the opponent be able to get the edge over him.
Elphick should be the partner to Virgo in the centre and I think that El Abd should either be right back or play just in front of the back four as a 5th defender or defensive midfielder.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
ah, I see, so by adding to the discussion (which is what this board is for, as you say) and speaking my own personal mind I'm a sanctimoneous tosser, nice....
Oh really? You suggested that lots of people were posting "short sighted vitriol and rumours" which isn't even true. You also suggested that on the back of one win against Torquay, they should be reconsidering their views, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

So what exactly have you added to the discussion then?

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Oh really? You suggested that lots of people were posting "short sighted vitriol and rumours" which isn't even true. You also suggested that on the back of one win against Torquay, they should be reconsidering their views, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

So what exactly have you added to the discussion then?
The fact that Virgo isn't necessarily a spent force yet, is perhaps (and I hope) unlikely to leave, and should be given a break by SOME of his more OTT NSC critics. If THEY choose not to then fine, I'm sure they will continue to deride him, that's their opinion, but it's not mine - I think he still has much to offer as, at the very least a sub, and possibly still as a first choice next to Tunnicliffe.
I'm not calling people childish names, I'm stating my viewpoint, right or wrong.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
It is, and has been for some time, my opinion that Virgo is the best centre back at the club. Tunnicliffe has potential but needs to learn to attack the ball when contesting headers rather than allow it to bounce and the opponent be able to get the edge over him.
Elphick should be the partner to Virgo in the centre and I think that El Abd should either be right back or play just in front of the back four as a 5th defender or defensive midfielder.

Well it's all about opinions as ever!

That's the one pairing I wouldn't chose-mainly because of concerns about distribution.

Virgo & Tunnicliffe OK. Elphick & Tunnicliffe just about OK.

El Abd a bit too short to be a consistentl;y good CH-but can slot in elsewhere, including midfield.

Just a word of caution though...Torquay are way down Div 2 and their final ball was particularly bad yesterday.

And if we think about where we want to be in 2012 then all of the above might need to be re-considered.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008

and you are entitled to your view as others are theirs. I would agree that he was mucked about by Adams then slade playing him in midfield and at full back when he is neither. I think he has it all to prove if he is to show that he is a promotion winning centre back, but its up to him to show what he can do and good luck to him, but please no more whinging from the wags and mothers of players if fans have a go. Its a working class spot so can they just get a back bone.

El P, you do wish to provoke dont you. The london police force investigate transfers and given the Gary Sprake revelations and the george Graaham issues then punters have a right to look at transfers with a sideways glance. Why did celtic buy a brighton centre back who had been stuck up front as he was not at the time our best centre back, and pay a fee the same that we received for Zamora? It is a question and a valid question, that with respect you cannot answer because you are not "in the know". Only the parties will know, but half of Ireland and many a brighton fan have made many a comment about it. Bad business, yeah sure, i agree, that is probably it and there is no evidence to say otherwise but football is under scrutiny for a reason. Is that good enough for you or dyou want to start another argument in another empty room?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here