Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No trains to London

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thanks for all the info Ernest - you saved me a good couple of hours by the sounds of it.

Me too. With Ernests info I went straight to Victoria, got there at 6 and jumped on the 6.15 Gatwick Express. Not quite sure why we all got turfed off it at Gatwick though- no chance of getting on the next one that came in so ended up on a Crapital Connect stopping everywhere back to Brighton. Got home about 8.45

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would LOVE to know how what happened FIFTY miles away caused the COASTAL trains from Havant to Brighton to be all f***ed up considering its NOWHERE NEAR South Croydon.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would LOVE to know how what happened FIFTY miles away caused the COASTAL trains from Havant to Brighton to be all f***ed up considering its NOWHERE NEAR South Croydon.

I don't think it's that difficult, is it ? Absolutely everything going down to Sussex or up to London goes through that section of track which was unpassable, particularly on the down-line. Then you get the knock-on effects as everyone, and we're talking a few hundred thousand commuters plus all the others, try alternate routers (with little or no information). I've seen some bad ones but this was one of the worst.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't think it's that difficult, is it ? Absolutely everything going down to Sussex or up to London goes through that section of track which was unpassable, particularly on the down-line. Then you get the knock-on effects as everyone, and we're talking a few hundred thousand commuters plus all the others, try alternate routers (with little or no information). I've seen some bad ones but this was one of the worst.

So a train that goes via Havent to Brighton (probably starting at Southampton OR Portsmouth) goes near or thru the South Croydon area? Lets think of some stations along the way:

Emsworth? nope. Chichester? Nope got me there. Barnham hmm doest feel like Croydon or anywhere near? Goring? Nope? Angmering? Uh huh Durrington? Hmmm Worthing? ummm Lancing? pass Shoreham? *shrug* Portslade oh yes thats near Sanderstead isnt it :jester: Aldrington - hang on that probably forty five miles as the crow flies

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Got back from me hols today - it was mayhem at Gatwick Airport. I reckon a lot of people would have missed their flights.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
So a train that goes via Havent to Brighton (probably starting at Southampton OR Portsmouth) goes near or thru the South Croydon area? Lets think of some stations along the way:

Emsworth? nope. Chichester? Nope got me there. Barnham hmm doest feel like Croydon or anywhere near? Goring? Nope? Angmering? Uh huh Durrington? Hmmm Worthing? ummm Lancing? pass Shoreham? *shrug* Portslade oh yes thats near Sanderstead isnt it :jester: Aldrington - hang on that probably forty five miles as the crow flies

I asked that same question but when it all goes wrong, apparently train crew get "displaced" throughout the network causing mammoth disruption. Train I was waiting for at Southbourne to head to Brighton should have come from Portsmouth but before that would have come from London so that was why it was cancelled. Once it were explained to me I was ok with it - all too easy to complain without knowing full facts and operating knowledge of railway I guess?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good work ernest. It is up there with the best ones including the snow. Your info was golden.

Fingers crossed tomorrow

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Train crew displaced mate that's the delays on the coast as drivers and guards you have set diagrams to work to. Thank god I was day off from driving trains today

Latest from the Southern website..pick the bones out of this lot!

Tuesday 2 August

SEVERE DISRUPTION TO SOUTHERN SERVICES DUE TO A BURST WATER MAIN AT SOUTH CROYDON ON MONDAY 1 AUGUST

Following a burst water main and landslip on Monday 1 August, we are only able to run services on a reduced number of lines through the South Croydon area. This is affecting the service we can offer and as such, we are offering a revised service today, Tuesday 2 August.

All Southern services will run as normal other than those listed below:

South Croydon and Purley Oaks stations will be CLOSED all day.

Customers are advised to use local bus services between East Croydon and Purley.

Gatwick Express

The following service will be running:

The on the hour and 30 minutes past the hour London Victoria to Gatwick Airport / Brighton services will call ADDITIONALLY at Clapham Junction and East Croydon.

The 15 and 45 minutes past the hour services from London Victoria to Gatwick Airport / Brighton WILL NOT RUN. This includes the 17.45, 18.15 and 18.45 minutes past the hour London Victoria to Brighton services which WILL NOT RUN.

The 20 and 50 minutes past the hour Gatwick Airport to London Victoria services will call ADDITIONALLY at East Croydon and Clapham Junction.

The 05 and 35 minutes past the hour Gatwick Airport to London Victoria services WILL NOT RUN.

The 06.30, 06.56 and 07.30 Brighton to London Victoria trains WILL NOT RUN.

06.40 / 07.15 / 07.44 Brighton to London Victoria services will call ADDITIONALLY at East Croydon and Clapham Junction.

The 08.17 Gatwick Airport to London Victoria WILL NOT RUN

08.13 Brighton to London Victoria will START from Gatwick Airport at 08.50

London Victoria and Brighton

08.51 / 09.51 / 10.51 / 11.51 / 12.51 / 13.51 / 14.51 / 15.51 London Victoria to Brighton services WILL NOT RUN.

09.25 / 10.25 / 11.25 / 12.25 / 13.25 / 14.25) Brighton to London Victoria services WILL NOT RUN.

London Victoria and East Grinstead

There will be no service between London Victoria and East Grinstead all day.

Instead a shuttle service will be running between Sanderstead and East Grinstead, in both directions. These services will run to the Saturday timetable.

Bus service

A bus service will operate every 20 minutes between Sanderstead and East Croydon in both directions, starting at 06.00

At the following times additional buses will run from East Grinstead to Three Bridges (non-stop):
06.00, 06.30, 07.00, 07.30, 08.00, 08.30

At the following times additional buses will run from Three Bridges to East Grinstead (non-stop):
16.30, 17.00, 17.30, 18.00, 18.30, 19.00

London Bridge and Uckfield

There will be no service between London Bridge and Uckfield all day.

A shuttle service will be running between Oxted and Uckfield in both directions.

From 05.37 trains will leave Oxted for Uckfield calling at Oxted (05.37), Hurst Green (05.39), Edenbridge Town (05.45), Hever (05.48), Cowden (05.52), Ashurst (05.57), Eridge (06.02), Crowborough (06.08), Buxted (06.15) and Uckfield (06.21).

Then at the same minutes past each hour up to & including 2337 from Oxted.

From 06.34 trains will leave Uckfield for Oxted calling at Uckfield (06.34), Buxted (06.39), Crowborough (06.46), Eridge (06.51), Ashurst (06.56), Cowden (07.00), Hever (07.04), Edenbridge Town (07.08), Hurst Green (07.14), and Oxted (07.17)

Then at the same minutes past each hour up to & including 2334 from Uckfield

Bus Service

To supplement the train service between Uckfield and Oxted a rail replacement bus service will be running every 30 minutes between Tunbridge Wells and Haywards Heath in both directions, starting at 0530. These services will call at:

· Haywards Heath

· Uckfield

· Buxted

· Crowborough

· Eridge

· Tunbridge Wells

Buses will also operate between Oxted and Redhill (non-stop). Starting at 0545 and then every 15 minutes

London Bridge and Tattenham Corner

There will be no service between London Bridge and Tattenham Corner all day.

A shuttle service will be running between Purley and Tattenham Corner in both directions, at:

20 and 50 minutes past the hour from Purley to Tattenham Corner

21 and 51 minutes past the hour from Tattenham Corner to Purley

10.02 / 11.02 / 12.02 / 13.02 / 14.02 / 15.02 / 16.02 Purley to Tattenham Corner services WILL NOT RUN.

09.33 / 10.33 / 11.33 / 12.33 / 13.33 / 14.33 / 15.33 / 16.33 Tattenham Corner to Purley services WILL NOT RUN.

London Bridge and Reigate

09.15 / 10.15 / 11.15 / 12.15 / 13.15 / 14.15 / 15.15 / 16.15 London Bridge to Reigate services WILL NOT RUN.

09.14 / 10.14 / 11.14 / 12.14 / 13.14 / 14.14 / 15.14 / 16.14 Reigate to London Bridge services WILL NOT RUN.

London Bridge and Tonbridge

This service will not run in both directions. A shuttle will run between Redhill and Tonbridge in both directions.

0729 then 09.17 and hourly to 16.17 from Redhill calling all stations to Tonbridge.

09.19 and hourly until 1619 from Tonbridge calling all stations to Redhill

08.16 Tonbridge to London Victoria WILL TERMINATE AT REDHILL.

Milton Keynes to South Croydon

These services will start and end at East Croydon and will not serve South Croydon

Morning Peak alterations

06.31 Littlehampton to London Bridge WILL NOT RUN

06.38 Sanderstead to London Victoria will START from East Croydon at 06.45

06.57 Bognor Regis to London Victoria will be DIVERTED via Sutton and West Croydon – running NON-STOP between Horsham and London Bridge.

07.02 Littlehampton to London Victoria will call ADDITIONALLY at Three Bridges.

07.09 Horsham to Redhill WILL NOT RUN.

07.14 Eastbourne to London Bridge WILL NOT RUN.

07.31 Coulsdon Town to London Victoria will START from East Croydon at 0748.

07.40 Reigate to London Bridge WILL NOT RUN.

08.27 London Bridge to East Croydon WILL NOT RUN

08.48 East Croydon to London Victoria WILL NOT RUN.

09.00 Redhill to Reigate WILL NOT RUN.

Evening Peak alterations

16.49 London Victoria to Three Bridges Reigate WILL NOT RUN.

17.42 London Bridge to Littlehampton WILL NOT RUN.

17.44 Reigate to London Victoria WILL NOT RUN.

17.47 London Bridge to Bognor Regis will be DIVERTED via West Croydon and Sutton, running NON-STOP between London Bridge and Horsham.

18.23 London Bridge to Eastbourne WILL NOT RUN.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just read all that myself and took the executive decision to work from home today. Back to bed. Bye :wave:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thanks for all the info Ernest - you saved me a good couple of hours by the sounds of it. A shame those of us in the know apparently knew more than platform staff, .

It's been a long standing problem on the railway that those on the front line of dealing with passengers tend to get the least amount of information.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Love that info on the Southern website. "All the trains are running fine. Except... [massive list of all the trains]."

I've been on early shifts yesterday and today so took the car, thankfully - although the M23 was a mess driving home at 3:30ish. Fingers crossed the trains will be sorted out by tomorrow when I'll need to use them. Hope everyone gets to work and home again OK today.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Normally wouldn't have bothered today and would have just worked from home but going to Great British Beer Festival later so made the effort to come in.

Came in from Tunbridge Wells and it was fine. Left a bit earlier to allow for it and got to my desk in Blackfriars 30 mins before I usually do.

Do feel sorry for the people of Haywards Heath having to make there way over to TW.

These things happen and it's part and parcel of being a commuter. The only thing that has annoyed me though is the fact Southern sent me the disruption alert email both last night and this morning saying there was no disruption!! If a replacement bus that takes 3 hours of queuing to get on to isn't a disruption I don't know what is!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trains were OK and what a mess just outside East Croydon all the rails are caked in mud

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Normally wouldn't have bothered today and would have just worked from home but going to Great British Beer Festival later so made the effort to come in.

Came in from Tunbridge Wells and it was fine. Left a bit earlier to allow for it and got to my desk in Blackfriars 30 mins before I usually do.

Do feel sorry for the people of Haywards Heath having to make there way over to TW.

These things happen and it's part and parcel of being a commuter. The only thing that has annoyed me though is the fact Southern sent me the disruption alert email both last night and this morning saying there was no disruption!! If a replacement bus that takes 3 hours of queuing to get on to isn't a disruption I don't know what is!
Trains were fine from haywards heat this morning , at least they were earlier on, last night was just a good excuse to spend a few hours getting pissed in the porter and sorter at e.croydon and get home at about ten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here