Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No teams in the last eight of champions league.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Without jumping the gun, that's the way it looking. Two points

1.Surely this will make UEFA look at the four places they give us.

2. Make the people that say the Prem is the best league in the world look a bit stupid.Sure before two years ago, we did have the best teams in Europe, but the rest have caught up and overtaken.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think there will definitely be some teams in the last eight.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I heard rumours there might be at least 1 team in the last 8?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
8 teams for certain.
But yes, The PL is going downhill fast. 5 years ago there were players you could call world class. They are all now plying their trade in Spain. I don't think that european league's are getting better, i just think ours is getting worse. Italy is a poor League these days and Spain is all about the top 2.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Allocation of Champions League and Europa Cup places is done on a co-efficents table based on results over several seasons so if the current form continued 'we' would lose a CL spot.

Potentially £50 million would be lost by the Premier League if it happened.

---
I am here: Google Maps

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We're definitely going to win the European Championship in the summer - no worries

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There's definitely been a slump in the quality of the Prem in the last couple years. Citeh's big money, overseas acquisitions have been the exception to the rule.

Personally I'm not that bothered about 'English' success in the CL if it means we have a more competitive and unpredictable domestic championship.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If they only end up with one team in the Qtr Finals, will they just award them the trophy and save the fans of that club the expense of turning up to two non events, ie the semis and the final!

Who would they give the runners up medals too though? Would they just get shared amongst all the other teams?

D

Deleted member 22389

It is actually refreshing to see some Italian teams back in the mix.
I'm a bit biased as my mum is from the Naples area. I remember being in Naples when Maradonna was playing that night. I have never seen anything like it in my whole life.
I don't know how my dad managed to get out of Naples that night with GB plates on the car. The whole city had shut down, and all you could see is Napoli and Maradonna flags. You can beat this passion.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
There's definitely been a slump in the quality of the Prem in the last couple years. Citeh's big money, overseas acquisitions have been the exception to the rule.

I think you make an entirely valid point, but I'm going to disagree. I think the big budget of City and formerly Chelsea are part of the reason behind English teams' slump in Europe. I suspect, and I may be wrong, that the big budgets are making the Premier League (or 'Premiership' for those of you that shop in Asdas) less competitive. This lack of competition may well be why English teams don't have enough fight when they compete in Europe.

I may be wrong - it is just a hypothesis.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think it's good for the Champions League.

English clubs have had more than their fair share of places in the last eight over the past few seasons. Time to let clubs from other leagues have a go.

The Premier League this season has shown we seem to have collectively forgotten how to defend. The clubs at the top are conceding way more goals than they were two or three years ago. And the art of the Makalele position seems to have almost disappeared.

Traditionally the Italian clubs have always been strong at keeping the opponents from scoring and Barcelona and Madrid were ALWAYS going to get as near to the final as possible given that they're both streets ahead of any other team in the world right now.

Our top sides don't deserve to be in the last eight right now. So what? They'll be back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here