Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Smoking at Amex

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is a pointless habit, lets be honest. £7 a pack these days? You literally must have money to burn....

Average cost say £100 per month to feed a reasonable habit, £1200 per year. So over 10 years you'll have smoked £12,000 worth. You've also paid a huge amount more in tax than everyone else. And for what, higher blood pressure, smelly breath and clothes, and likely to be a shorter lifespan. :smokin::dunce:

its still quite a cheap vice

i have my 20 a day,10 pints down the pub every night and round off with a £40 happy ending from whichever lucky lady is in town.

each to their own!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That's the propaganda. Not everyone who smokes, gets lung cancer. And not everyone who gets lung cancer is a smoker. Smoking doesn't help, but it's your genetic make-up which is primarily responsible.

Genuine question (as I presume that you're a smoker): Why do you do it? From my POV it's costly, has considerable health risks and makes you stink to high heaven. What are the benefits?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
As an air quality consultant, whilst I get what you're saying, you're talking bollocks; sorry!

Bollocks - possibly

I prefer 'making a point'

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm disappointed to discover the club haven't designated an official glue-sniffing area at the Amex. Won't be renewing my ST unless THAT changes :angry:

Nov 27, 2009
Well if there was a designated area for smokers (or 4 actually, 1 per stand) you wouldn't have to.

This was always hilarious to me. The anti-smokers banging on about no one being allowed to smoke in doors and then getting all wound up when they have to encounter it when entering or leaving somewhere. Fact is the shit people breath in everyday just going to work from the environment is hardly filtered air!

If you value your lungs that much and are so paranoid my suggestion is you find a large box and ask a friend to tape you inside it, dig a hole, throw you in it (whilst taped inside afore mentioned box) and fill hole with cement.......................never a mucky breath shall you take!

You forgot the usual add on of, you stand more chance of being knocked down by a bus!
Smoking soon will be banned from all public places, thank god!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Genuine question (as I presume that you're a smoker): Why do you do it? From my POV it's costly, has considerable health risks and makes you stink to high heaven. What are the benefits?

There are no benefits. Hovaboy reckons it's my comforter, like when a child sucks a dummy or carts its favourite blanket around. I think it's a nervous habit. Calms my nerves. My son twiddles things (remotes/calculators/bricks); the other plays x-box; my daughter-in-law squashes bits of paper; Hova boy creates wine glasses out of sweet wrappers. Many adults have peculiar little fiddly habits: girls who suck their hair; people who bite their nails; those who just must have a mobile glued to their ear; texters; finger-tappers. The list goes on and on. I will say, I gave up a couple of years ago for a whole month. But I went through a bad time and ended up on anti-depressants. I went back to the doctor and said I'd rather be addicted to fags than anti-depressants. She agreed, and prescribed me fags. I wish I didn't smoke. But it's not at all easy just to stop.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Cost of trip to Belgium?

not bad

we do it quite often

normally £49 return on the tunnel,chuck in some petrol fill up the car with wine in france and tobacco in belgium

nice bit of lunch and as we are history buffs we try and visit a battlefield.

between four in a car not a bad day out and save a tonne on smoking and wine

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There are no benefits. Hovaboy reckons it's my comforter, like when a child sucks a dummy or carts its favourite blanket around. I think it's a nervous habit. Calms my nerves. My son twiddles things (remotes/calculators/bricks); the other plays x-box; my daughter-in-law squashes bits of paper; Hova boy creates wine glasses out of sweet wrappers. Many adults have peculiar little fiddly habits: girls who suck their hair; people who bite their nails; those who just must have a mobile glued to their ear; texters; finger-tappers. The list goes on and on. I will say, I gave up a couple of years ago for a whole month. But I went through a bad time and ended up on anti-depressants. I went back to the doctor and said I'd rather be addicted to fags than anti-depressants. She agreed, and prescribed me fags. I wish I didn't smoke. But it's not at all easy just to stop.

Some very wise words in there me darlin. I am an addicted smoker and hate smoking with a passion. Non smokers don't get it and NSC non smokers just abuse you... run of the mill on here obviously. If someone could wave me a magic wand tomorrow I'd take not doing the dirty habit, as I would drinking. I bet some of these righteous numb nuts drink more than enough to fill a carp pond, it ain't different. But it is the self righteous v the non self righteous and I'll take the non any day... whether we like it or not, as smokers, long live us addicts!

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
[[Albion]] No Smoking at Amex

First and foremost I am an ex- smoker! And told the worst when it comes to a point of view!! That said, for all of you who smoke that say you enjoy it, you are talking bollocks! Accept the fact that you don't like it you are addicted!! How can anyone like stinking?! And it does, it really really does!

Do yourselves a favour and jack the habit in! It's all about will power!

New study results out today state that if you give up before middle age you will almost all live as long as a non smoker! Surely that has to be worth it!!

To recap, it stinks, you stink, where you smoke stinks and it is killing you!! The positives? Erm!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
New study results out today state that if you give up before middle age you will almost all live as long as a non smoker! Surely that has to be worth it!!

Not really.
We still won't score.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I'm always having a fag before and after the game outside and nobody's said anything, plenty of people do it, I highly doubt anyone will say anything.

i always have one at half time in the C block west stand bogs, never had a problem....

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Slightly off topic but i see they club have also banned those new electronic cigerettes from inside the ground. Granted from a distance you cannot tell the difference which would make policing it extremely challenging. But at the same time you could probably count on one hand those people who have lit up a real fag at The Amex. If you had anything about you, you would have approached the nearest steward showing them your new perfectly harmless non smoking device so as not to get bothered throughout the game. Yet another obstacle put in front that those wishing to overcome this disgusting habit. Some will argue that its only 90 minutes but thats bollocks IMO. Lets factor getting to the ground 1 hour before kick off and anything between 6-8 pints sunk pre match and you have yourself a pretty uncomfortable few hours. I will add this was my experience at Middlesborough after only 7 days off the filthy things so apologies for the melodramatic anecdote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here