Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No-one on Loan

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
As I said in my 1st comment in here, Vicente started his career in Levante playing as 2nd striker (being moved to the left due to his speed) and he also played there with Cuper and Benítez in Valencia a few times. He has the perfect conditions to play as second striker or as mediapunta. Yes, he has played mainly on the left during his career in Valencia, but anyone who has seen Valencia play, should know that the 4 attacking players (4-2-3-1) switch their spots constantly, being a very dinamic attack. You could see this in one counter attack:

Villa
Vicente-Mata-Silva

And this the following:
Mata
Villa-Silva-Vicente

And this the next:
Vicente
Mata-Silva-Villa

The same changing any of them for Joaquín or Pablo.

With Vicente it was the same situation that with Mata: he started playing as second striker in R.Madrid B and he was moved to play on the left in Valencia because Vicente was injured. Same with Silva: always a mediapunta, but moved to the left because of Vicente's injuries. As any of them, Vicente is versatile enough to play in every attacking position, and having lost a bit of his pace, he will do better as 2nd striker because he has the vision, the pass and his scoring hability is more of a foward than a winger. Present day football is not static and players switch positions constantly. It is like Ronaldo and Messi: they are more forwards than wingers right now. David Villa plays on the left for Spain and Barça, not as centre forward; etc, etc.

I stand corrected, my apologies Albumen.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Villa
Vicente-Mata-Silva

And this the following:
Mata
Villa-Silva-Vicente

And this the next:
Vicente
Mata-Silva-Villa
------ Vicente ------
Hoskins -- CMS -- Noone

:thumbsup:

Mestalla

Aug 31, 2011
Valencia
I stand corrected, my apologies Albumen.

Albumen and I obviously agree on the fact that it's not important the place a player is used to play, the important fact is the player's characteristics and their capacity to adapt to multiple positions. As I said, I think that given his characteristics, Vicente will be a perfect mediapunta. He hasn't a right leg, so he can't play on the right in the same way he can play on the left, but he can play there cutting inside in the same way Reyes has played in Atlético de Madrid the last years (he has done fantastic on the right and he's as left footed as Vicente).

What scheme Brighton play usually? 442, 4231, 433?

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I wonder if we were going to loan a couple of players to Mk Dons until Gleeson opened his big mouth!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Its just great to be able to have a thread like this, go back 18 months and we were arguing over Doug Loft and Dean Cox. I personnally dont feel we need another striker and am very happy with the current squad and its astonising stength in depth, a depth that 90% of the championship would love to have. The difficulty for Gus is in October when he has everyone fit and raring to go. There are 25 odd players there with a shout for the match day squad. My Squad would be as follows:

Casper
Painter
Dunk
Greer
Caldy
Bridcut
Harley
Noone
Buckley
Hoskins
CMS
Barnes / Brez (do we have to have GK on the bench.......a wasted luxury or a must??)
Dicker (unlucky to be on bench IMHO)
Rodriqez (until match fitness arrives, but what a player to come off the bench)
KLL (what a player to come off the bench)
Vincelot (defensive cover)

that Leaves

Brez / Barnes
Sparrow
El Abd
Elphick
Narvarro
Cook
Tarrico

A number of the DS.........will be ready to make the leap soon as well.

When you look at it like that..............WHAT A f***ing SQUAD, we are ready for the prem now!!!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Albumen and I obviously agree on the fact that it's not important the place a player is used to play, the important fact is the player's characteristics and their capacity to adapt to multiple positions. As I said, I think that given his characteristics, Vicente will be a perfect mediapunta. He hasn't a right leg, so he can't play on the right in the same way he can play on the left, but he can play there cutting inside in the same way Reyes has played in Atlético de Madrid the last years (he has done fantastic on the right and he's as left footed as Vicente).

What scheme Brighton play usually? 442, 4231, 433?

Via Jake Forster-Caskey on Twitter

'Vicente Rodriguez is a player . One footed ppl say but if that one foot is pure tekkers then that's all you need !'

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gus has said that he does not think we will need to enter the loan market but has he ruled out signing another free player who is not contracted to a club, like he did with Kishishev.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Its just great to be able to have a thread like this, go back 18 months and we were arguing over Doug Loft and Dean Cox. I personnally dont feel we need another striker and am very happy with the current squad and its astonising stength in depth, a depth that 90% of the championship would love to have. The difficulty for Gus is in October when he has everyone fit and raring to go. There are 25 odd players there with a shout for the match day squad. My Squad would be as follows:

Casper
Painter
Dunk
Greer
Caldy
Bridcut
Harley
Noone
Buckley
Hoskins
CMS
Barnes / Brez (do we have to have GK on the bench.......a wasted luxury or a must??)
Dicker (unlucky to be on bench IMHO)
Rodriqez (until match fitness arrives, but what a player to come off the bench)
KLL (what a player to come off the bench)
Vincelot (defensive cover)

that Leaves

Brez / Barnes
Sparrow
El Abd
Elphick
Narvarro
Cook
Tarrico

A number of the DS.........will be ready to make the leap soon as well.

When you look at it like that..............WHAT A f***ing SQUAD, we are ready for the prem now!!!

A must according to Gus, and I have to agree. I really can't see this 5 subs nonsense lasting more than this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree a sub keeper is a must and like many cannot understand the logic behind dropping to 5 subs. It is not a money saving idea because nobody is forced to name any number of subs up to the maximum. If the club was so broke like Portsmouth or PAFC they could name just 2 or 3 subs or even 7 youth team players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here