Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

no need to sit down on the 27th

Jul 5, 2003
Well said Spearritt of the Albion. Incidnetally I wonder if any of the people you are directing this at would even know who Eddie Spearritt was.

Probably not.

When I was a kid I remember going down to Ham Manor Golf Club to try out some caddying (good money at Ham Manor). Anyway, I couldn't believe it when, after a few days, eddie turned up and chose my mate to caddy for him (he was ecstatic). I followed in the match behind. I was so in awe of Eddie that I paid little attention to the bloke I was caddying for and lost the flight of his shots on many occasions whilst watching Eddie play. Suffice to say, I didn't ever caddy for him again that afternoon and I was so embarrased I gave it up altogether a few days later.

Eddie was definitely my hero at that time, hence my user name. Although we were only a Div 3/2 team we had some great players coming through the club.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
That was my point when I bought my ST in the West Lower but I am told by other people sitting in that area that the club are monitoring the situation on the CCTV at each game.

Dont get me wrong, its a difficult one, and its not like a terrace where if you dont like who is around you, you just move. But it seems to me that you and some others are basically saying that because you may be getting on a bit in years, and understandably can't leap to your feet as easily as you once were able, those who still can shouldn't, and if they dare to do so it seems you are hoping that the CCTV picks them out and deals with them!

Some might just see that as a tad selfish. Bit like my old Dad, who used to moan about kids on skateboards, but when I talked to him about it, he admitted that he was just jealous that he was too old to do it, but if he could he would!

For what it is worth the guy in front of me is around 6ft 6, and when he jumps up, I can't see much either. But I certainly would not moan about it, he is a fan supporting his club and enjoying the game. Its not his fault that he is younger and fitter than me.

Worst case scenerio, if its a goal and I miss it, I can watch the replay on the big screen. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If you wish to have a seat in a part of the ground that creates atmosphere then join in , if you do not wish to participate then f*** off to the east stand,go on f*** off and shut the f*** up.

Why do u feel the need to swear all the time...the guy states his opinion..which he is entitled to...perhaps you have a limited vocabulary from standing up too long...he's paid his money he's entitled to sit....he's a Brighton supporter!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well said Spearritt of the Albion. Incidentally I wonder if any of the people you are directing this at would even know who Eddie Spearritt was, without looking on the internet.

Heard the name before & quite a SPOOKY_coincidence given the thread-you could have been talking about another (eddie spearritt) and an tragic football event in Sheffield 1989

Jul 5, 2003
Heard the name before & quite a SPOOKY_coincidence given the thread-you could have been talking about another (eddie spearritt) and an tragic football event in Sheffield 1989

It's the same Eddie. So sad that he lost his son.

He was from Liverpool and moved back there after his career in football ended (or so I believe).

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
For what it is worth the guy in front of me is around 6ft 6, and when he jumps up, I can't see much either. But I certainly would not moan about it, he is a fan supporting his club and enjoying the game. Its not his fault that he is younger and fitter than me.
At 6'6"I think perhaps it's wise not to complain...Lol!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's the same Eddie. So sad that he lost his son.

He was from Liverpool and moved back there after his career in football ended (or so I believe).

Well that's why the name rang a bell just could not picture the name to face...well i wish not to get involved in a standing argument and will leave my thoughts with myself on this issue.

I totally agree with Mr Reich (were you at plymouth via exeter years ago ? I recognise your banter). No one should be sitting (unless your old of course !).
... or, in the case of Roz, you've just come out of hospital after a serious foot operation. If she finds she can't see or that the standing means that she won't be able to walk back to the station, she'll probably have to leave early. Being the gentleman that I am, I will also have to leave early - and will be EXTREMELY pissed off that thoughtless standing has led to this.

Especially since we ordered our season tickets reasonably close to an aisle and the front, in the certain knowledge that these circumstances were likely to arise.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
[MENTION=18093]Bristol[/MENTION] today stood the entire gane was brilliant.
I am in the north stand and wish my area stood, but out of respect for others I sit.

Jul 5, 2003
Dont get me wrong, its a difficult one, and its not like a terrace where if you dont like who is around you, you just move. But it seems to me that you and some others are basically saying that because you may be getting on a bit in years, and understandably can't leap to your feet as easily as you once were able, those who still can shouldn't, and if they dare to do so it seems you are hoping that the CCTV picks them out and deals with them!

Some might just see that as a tad selfish. Bit like my old Dad, who used to moan about kids on skateboards, but when I talked to him about it, he admitted that he was just jealous that he was too old to do it, but if he could he would!

Worst case scenerio, if its a goal and I miss it, I can watch the replay on the big screen. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the game.

I don't think many care too much when somebody jumps up in front of them from time to time as it is all part of the excitement (I hope they don't as I do it!). What people object to is when people proclaim that everyone should stand at the game on the 27th just because of who we are playing. It is quite unsafe to stand permanently in some areas because the back of the seat in front is just a few inches from the standing level of the seats behind. If there was a surge it is quite possible that there would be several serious injuries. (see my previous post re Eddie Spearritt - to spell it out, he was at Hillsborough and his son was killed in the crush).

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I don't think many care too much when somebody jumps up in front of them from time to time as it is all part of the excitement (I hope they don't as I do it!). What people object to is when people proclaim that everyone should stand at the game on the 27th just because of who we are playing. It is quite unsafe to stand permanently in some areas because the back of the seat in front is just a few inches from the standing level of the seats behind. If there was a surge it is quite possible that there would be several serious injuries. (see my previous post re Eddie Spearritt - to spell it out, he was at Hillsborough and his son was killed in the crush).

Take no notice, Das is just having a bit of a wind up!

As you say, most of us that can jump up at moments of excitement, but this seems to be the issue for Bens Grandad and a few of our older fans. I'm far from young myself by the way.

I sit in the West Lower, and I have not seen anyone constantly standing there, so it really isn't a problem. However I know a number of people have been spoken to on the QT by stewards about jumping up at moments of excitement, as some of the older fans have complained. The stewards are obliged to then, and I get the impression somewhat reluctantly, speak to people.

I'm not saying that this club is begining to get like this country, ie the vocal moaning minority seem to have more sway than the non moaning majority, most of whom don't give a toss one way or another. But there does seem to be a bit of a theme of it lately!

I didn't know that about Eddie's lad, very sad.

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
I sit in North Stand, and in my opinion, all the people that want to stand should get their S.T in the North Stand, and anyone who wants to sit should get their S.T in the other stands. Would make the North Stand alot more lively. Can't stand the people that want to sit down yet buy their seats in the North Stand.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Well said Spearritt of the Albion. Incidentally I wonder if any of the people you are directing this at would even know who Eddie Spearritt was, without looking on the internet.

Please don't judge all younger people by these mongs. Simple rule if the people behind you are standing then stand if you like, But if there not you dont. Its rude and thoughtless and why don't you move to where other like minded people are.

Regardless of age I think some of these posters are just abit special.

Last edited:

I sit in North Stand, and in my opinion, all the people that want to stand should get their S.T in the North Stand, and anyone who wants to sit should get their S.T in the other stands. Would make the North Stand alot more lively. Can't stand the people that want to sit down yet buy their seats in the North Stand.
The vast majority of season ticket holders in the front half of the North Stand sit for most of the game. If you "can't stand" this intolerable state of affairs ... I'm inclined to remind you that the Club suggested that "enthusiastic supporters" should get their season tickets towards the back of the North Stand.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
WSU row A. If I stand up throughout i'll probably end up falling on the 1901 as my balance isn't what it used to be after a few shandies. I'll stand up when the time is appropriate but for the majority i'll be sitting with a grin on my face watching us do over the Nigel's

Jan 30, 2008
When I bought this years ST the club made a point of saying that standing would not be permitted ,except in certain areas that they would turn a blind eye to, West Lower wasnt one of those areas. I accept that it is a difficult situation for the club but I am confident that they will win eventually and that a few fans will be upset in the process.
it's not about winning or losing though, we've already had a couple of grasses on here, no need for anymore :shrug:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
it's not about winning or losing though, we've already had a couple of grasses on here, no need for anymore :shrug:

Where do you differentiate between up holding up the law against "grassing".
ie , someone advising a bus driver a passenger does not have a correct ticket, it that grassing or holding up the law ?
Someone incorrectly parked in a disabled spot, is that grassing or holding up the law ?
Someone you know has committed burglary, is that grassing or holding up the law ?
Someone committing assault, is that grassing or holding up the law ?
Someone committing murder, is that grassing or holding up the law ?

Where in you mind is it acceptable to holding up the law ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here