Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Internet - Thanks SKY!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was due to move over from Pipex to Sky Broadband on Saturday.

I connected up the router but could not get through to Sky.

I phoned them up and they said "Oh the MAC code you have us was wrong! we need you to pay £20 again as we have refunded your original payment"

I reluctantly gave another £20 from my credit card and the MAC code again (apparenltly they transposed an I for a 1).

I was then told "Thank you, we have forwarded this to BT and you should be live in 10 -15 days!)

"10 - 15 days? but I have just left Pipex!! I have no internet!" I exploded. "Why didn't you let me know?"

"Sorry"was the reply. "We normally do!"

I wouldn't mind but Sky have continually mucked me about since they cocked up my SkyPLus order!

Its true that you don't realise that you miss something until it's gone. It's been a right pain over the weekend without Web access (especially since we won on Saturday)

:censored: Sky! :angry: :angry:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Sky internet is SHITHOUSE, have they got broadband upload yet ??

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
You know I pay a premium price of £27.00 a month for my BT Broadband and I have not had one single problem since I had it and this has been over 3 years.

I know it does not solve your current problem becuase I would be :censored: :censored: on the phone to them too bunch of silly wankers.

I am hearing about so many problems with people who have ordered Orange, Sky etc it makes paying the £27.00 a month worth every penny.

I dont think this cheap budget internet works. When it works fine, but when you need to support its bloody impossible.

The bosses and marketing men sit there and think lets give everyone free broadband without thinking of how they are going to deliver it.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
NTL is the way to go 10Mb down a 1/2Mb up for £20 a month, beat that ..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
you guys cant moan if you go for the pikey option really.

You gotta look at this in perspective a bit here, consumer customers are looked at by the ISP's as lowest of the low. They make barely any money on it at all, they make a bit more off business users, but still the BT Wholesale fix time is 40 hours [between the hours of mon-fri 8-6] on a fault.

If you want a decent internet connection, with good support and fix times may i suggest forking out couple of hundred quid a month for a 1 or 2 MB leased line. 2mb upload / 2mb download. Fix time within 4 hours where possible. Sorted

REDLAND said:
NTL is the way to go 10Mb down a 1/2Mb up for £20 a month, beat that ..

I'd rather be f***ed by a randy goat than ever go near the utter utter shite that is ntl again. I will pull my own teeth using a rusty pair of pliars whilst being serviced by said goat if that is what it takes to keep away from ntl. They are f***ing shit.

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Went for the free Sky option. It came when they said and it seems to work fine, though I'm not a very demanding user. I spose you get what you pay for....

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
*** FREE WIRELESS BROADBAND ***

*** UP TO 200MB DOWNLOAD SPEED ***

Customer: Is this really wireless

broadband, so all I need to do is purchase a laptop and I will be connected.

Company: "No you dont understand, you still need to purchase a wireless router and then a card for your laptop to connect"

Company: But you said it Wireless Broadband in your advert

Customer: "Please refer to our terms and conditions"

Terms & Conditions

1gb bandwidth allowance a month

Broadband Router must be purchased £50.00

£20.00 Connection fee

Must stay a customer of XYZ for a minimum of 12 months

Helpline 50p a minute

Call centres located in India

Must install XYZ software as this is the only way to connect to the internet.

Last edited:

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Buzz, that's really annoying with the MAC code. My mate had the same problem TWICE with TalkTalk Broadband but he reckoned they conveniently got the code wrong as they were so massively oversubscribed when they put their offer out. I deliberately didn't go for TalkTalk though it was tempting. Instead I went for Sky who got my MAC code right and are now giving me a good service (same as tinx above) after a few weeks of repeated disconnections. If you're on their MAX product you'll have to put up with it as it's part of the ADSL2+ procedure for getting the right speed for your line. If/when you're (finally) up and running then you'll find both http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/ and http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161 are useful for any problems.
By the way I have to say Sky support are very polite and 'helpful' but technically they are totally inept unless you can get through to Tier3 support. Be warned - you won't have an easy ride ahead, especially, when, like me, you've come from a good ISP to start with. But remember they're cheap and you get what you pay for! Have fun.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
bardo said:
Buzz, that's really annoying with the MAC code. My mate had the same problem TWICE with TalkTalk Broadband but he reckoned they conveniently got the code wrong as they were so massively oversubscribed when they put their offer out. I deliberately didn't go for TalkTalk though it was tempting. Instead I went for Sky who got my MAC code right and are now giving me a good service (same as tinx above) after a few weeks of repeated disconnections. If you're on their MAX product you'll have to put up with it as it's part of the ADSL2+ procedure for getting the right speed for your line. If/when you're (finally) up and running then you'll find both http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/ and http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161 are useful for any problems.
By the way I have to say Sky support are very polite and 'helpful' but technically they are totally inept unless you can get through to Tier3 support. Be warned - you won't have an easy ride ahead, especially, when, like me, you've come from a good ISP to start with. But remember they're cheap and you get what you pay for! Have fun.

Good shout Bardo,

I use the skyuser forum a lot and have managed to speed my internet connection up loads using the hints and tips on this website.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
bardo said:

Thanks for the info Bardo

I'm sure it will be OK eventually. Just pissed off not having a connection at home at the moment.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I waited six weeks for Sky and still have problems, I got told the wrong mac-code business too. :angry:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Springal said:
If you want a decent internet connection, with good support and fix times may i suggest forking out couple of hundred quid a month...

:eek: You can suggest it if you want...I'll stick with my £17.99

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Coach said:
freeserve has always seen me alright (now wanadoo?) - although it was never free as the name led me to believe!

Now Orange and have been issued with a final warning from me :lolol: :lolol:

Not sure she really understood what I was saying though as the young lady was in Mumbai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here