Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No hard feelings.....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Like I said earlier, depends what you constitute a dive.

Making a meal of a tackle and dives are different to me.

Either way, Lambert went down with no contact. Hammond stuck his foot out to create contact with harper, ergo it wasn't a tackle, so he can't have been 'making a meal of a tackle', it was a dive.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A striker like Lambert who has a sniff of a shot on goal, never goes over unless there is contact.

This 'why would he go down?' line gets trotted out so often, yet history shows players will go down easily rather than stay on their feet and take the one on one. Sometimes it tiredness, sometimes it's more sinister and they would rather get an opponent sent off/cautioned and have a pen to get that almost certain goal, sometimes they just don't have the confidence of the one on one, maybe the balls running a little too far ahead, maybe the keeper has closed him down, maybe it's just a natural habit of falling over when an opposing player is close by.

Strikers (like lambert) dive for penalties when they could be one on one. There's at least one in the video I posted earlier.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The highlights didn't even show the handball.....

But that is me off anyway, all the best until next time!

The one where it was shot at Greer at close range where he had his arm on his stomach? That was shown, and dismissed as too close, ball to hand.

Nov 20, 2011
Put it this way, if the penalty decisions had been for you and not Saints, we'd be having the same conversation in reverse. Such is football.

But Lambert is no diver, he was in the same position a few moments before and took a shot (which was brilliantly saved, although both the ref and linesman gave a goal kick).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know I would be admitting we got away with it if things were reversed. Granted there would be a lot of our fans arguing your position in reverse, but I wouldn't be one of them.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Said OVER AND OVER AGAIN at the time "players like Murray do not grow on trees."

Everyone sounded so basic saying "we'll get sum1 beta" - Lambert is the only other player similar around really. Easily Gus's biggest mistake in his time as Albion manager.

Agree 100% with that comment. If we had kept Murray we need not have signed Hoskins or even Buckley, and certainly not Berkamp.

Bad, bad decision to let him go, particularly as we haven't signed a proper replacement.

Nov 20, 2011
I have admitted saints got away with the 1st pen. The 2nd looks fine to me. The Painter/Lambert non-penalty was the most blatant foul I've seen in a long time, god knows why Walton didn't give it as he was 5 yards away and it wasn't in the usual 6 yard box mass bundle, which I could have understood at least as its hard to pick out individual fouls.

I hold my hands up when Saints are beaten fairly or squarely or the points are shared.

I just think some Brighton fans are finding it a bit hard to come to terms with your current form and are almost glossing over the more pertinant issues about your side and instead using the ref as an excuse. You have been on the up in a big way over the last 18 months or so, plus the media darlings with your new ground and back-story (oh, I sound sooooo media saying that), so this "blip" might be difficult to take, especially when the team that finished behind you last season is now so far in front. (I'm enjoying it while it lasts, I think like most Saints fans brought up on always being pessimistic, it's almost difficult to believe its happening).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Course there are no hard feelings. Im STILL f***ed off about the Palace game. You know our RIVALS despite what Poyet may think.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have admitted saints got away with the 1st pen. The 2nd looks fine to me. The Painter/Lambert non-penalty was the most blatant foul I've seen in a long time, god knows why Walton didn't give it as he was 5 yards away and it wasn't in the usual 6 yard box mass bundle, which I could have understood at least as its hard to pick out individual fouls.

I hold my hands up when Saints are beaten fairly or squarely or the points are shared.

I just think some Brighton fans are finding it a bit hard to come to terms with your current form and are almost glossing over the more pertinant issues about your side and instead using the ref as an excuse. You have been on the up in a big way over the last 18 months or so, plus the media darlings with your new ground and back-story (oh, I sound sooooo media saying that), so this "blip" might be difficult to take, especially when the team that finished behind you last season is now so far in front. (I'm enjoying it while it lasts, I think like most Saints fans brought up on always being pessimistic, it's almost difficult to believe its happening).
Yes, I think if we're being honest we'd have to admit there's a lot of truth in what you've said. We've reached a bit of a plateau now and I think we need a bit of consolidation - and maybe some of our more excitable fans need to calm down a little.

PS - Love the username! It's all about gloating, bragging rights etc, especially when the clubs are close rivals.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
PS - Love the username! It's all about gloating, bragging rights etc, especially when the clubs are close rivals.

:facepalm:

Oh yeah coz Pompey isnt between us and Soton then.

The only rivalry is in Poyets head.

It can f***ing STAY there.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You really need to relax a bit! You're going to have a heart attack if you can't stop thinking about Crystal Palace for 5 minutes

Nope thats whay losing to your RIVALS does. And Im reminded everyday by the palace fans at work. Because thats the trouble when you have your RIVALS working in the same office as you.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope thats whay losing to your RIVALS does. And Im reminded everyday by the palace fans at work. Because thats the trouble when you have your RIVALS working in the same office as you.
Nevertheless you have posted about PALACE in every single post.

We get it. Palace is the only game that matters to you.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Nevertheless you have posted about PALACE in every single post.

We get it. Palace is the only game that matters to you.

And I will keep saying it until this manufactured rivalry fucks off from whence it came.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im sure if we lost to Boro or Derby we wont have dozens of threads on here.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It would depend on the manner of the defeat (were there such ridiculous refereeing decision) and the context (is it another defeat in a largely winless run stretch back to september?).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And I will keep saying it until this manufactured rivalry fucks off from whence it came.
Manufactured? It's a needle game based on a season where they were the team closest to us, and ruined our unbeaten home record. Hardly manufactured.

No one is saying it matters in the way a derby game matters, but the teams are reasonably local and there's a bit of needle there. However, since they won easily enough and we have problems, I'd be happy for the oddly large number of Southampton fans on here to pipe down and jog on now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Southampton are a lot better than us, and we were shown that on Saturday. The controversy surrounding the penalties can't be used as an excuse- we simply were not good enough to even take a point.
The indiscipline is incredibly frustrating and Tano should know by now, at the tender age of 38, that you cannot go mouthing off at the ref. Setting a poor example all round.
We were completely over-run in midfield. Hammond, Cork and Lallana are in a different league to Harley and Navarro, who would probably struggle to maintain a starting spot at a League One side.
The foundations are there, but we have a long way to go before we can begin to even compete with sides like Southampton, West Ham, Leicester etc. CMS, Bridcutt, Buckley and Vicente are probably the only players that would get near to getting in the Southampton squad, and there is where the problem lies- we just do not have enough quality all over the pitch.
Good luck for the rest of the season, I really cannot see you lot finishing outside the top 2 this season.

Good analysis Whingy, good post!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Manufactured? It's a needle game based on a season where they were the team closest to us, and ruined our unbeaten home record. Hardly manufactured.

No one is saying it matters in the way a derby game matters, but the teams are reasonably local and there's a bit of needle there. However, since they won easily enough and we have problems, I'd be happy for the oddly large number of Southampton fans on here to pipe down and jog on now.

No needle from me. May as well have been Derby County for all I care. Stains have Pompey and thats fine by me.

Unfortunately we played Soton at a time when we were already on holiday so meh about the unbeaten home record.

Agree they can all jog on now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here