Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Okay, you win

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
If the ref missed it altogether - then VAR cannot tell the ref to give a free-kick, or a yellow card.
They can recommend a review for a red card offense though, and this was serious foul play, unless you think an elbow to the face isn't endangering an opponent?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They can recommend a review for a red card offense though, and this was serious foul play, unless you think an elbow to the face isn't endangering an opponent?
I fully agree with you.

I was answering the question that was asked: Was this actually reviewed by VAR? If so how is jumping into an opponent leading with your elbow into their face not even deemed a foul?

And I was pointing out that VAR wouldn't alert the ref to something if they considered it a 'mere' foul, or yellow card. Obviously they should have said 'come and have a look, it may have been a red card offence'. But even then, the ref may have said 'no thanks - I saw it'. Unless they release the transcript like for Liverpool, we'll never know.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I fully agree with you.

I was answering the question that was asked: Was this actually reviewed by VAR? If so how is jumping into an opponent leading with your elbow into their face not even deemed a foul?

And I was pointing out that VAR wouldn't alert the ref to something if they considered it a 'mere' foul, or yellow card. Obviously they should have said 'come and have a look, it may have been a red card offence'. But even then, the ref may have said 'no thanks - I saw it'. Unless they release the transcript like for Liverpool, we'll never know.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes perfect sense.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
So what do we do?

Be like rugby. Get people to ref who players respect. Get people in who know the game to do the reffing not low-lifes.
Explain the decision to the audience in real-time. I mean ffs - why don't they ever come on the TV and explain
themselves instead of playing the "we're too important to do that sort of sh*t"? No you're not. You're nothing.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blood on the face must have been an elbow? 🤦‍♂️
Having watched the replay, and seen the highest point of the elbow, I'm wondering if VAR let it go as he doesn't appear to connect to his face with the actual elbow (top of the chest). It's the only mitigation I can find.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 84

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Be like rugby. Get people to ref who players respect. Get people in who know the game to do the reffing not low-lifes.
Explain the decision to the audience in real-time. I mean ffs - why don't they ever come on the TV and explain
themselves instead of playing the "we're too important to do that sort of sh*t"? No you're not. You're nothing.
if you watched the rugby World Cup, and respect the players have for the referee, the explanations in game etc and not think why or how can this not work in football, the Americans would love it, I can’t see any negatives to be honest.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Having watched the replay, and seen the highest point of the elbow, I'm wondering if VAR let it go as he doesn't appear to connect to his face with the actual elbow (top of the chest). It's the only mitigation I can find.
Contact was originally his chin. It’s a red as he‘s leading with his elbow. A couple of inches higher and we could have been talking about a depressed fracture of the cheek.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Surprised that MotD actually mentioned it.
Consensus was "oh well, he should have been sent off and scored the winner, move on"

No point us making a fuss and weaken Fulham for their next 3 games (United/Villa/wolves)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Bbc agreed he should be off but Brighton didn’t make a big thing of it so never mind.

At least they laughed at silva’s excuse if “it was raining”

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Exactly this.

When Jao Pedro launched for an overhead kick the Fulham defender threw himself at hims as well, that was dangerous, in a Harry Kane on Lallana style. Nothing given.

Gross elbow was a straight red all day.

Interesting MotD didn't show any injuries or time wasting, not that they ever do.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hi Tony 👻 Webby here again,cor blimey I bet your fed up of hearing from me on a Monday morning 😁 anyway great game and please accept my apologies for the entire group of officials I've re trained personally for that blatant red card elbow to the number 13 chappy, at least TV watchers were not denied a cracking equaliser if we had of done our job lol,terrible weather we're having hope the family are well I'll text you again next Monday probably 😳X

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe consider you're comment.

Had the ref picked up on the incident he may well have shown red. I'm not sure where he was standing at the point it happened. His angle may have suggested something different. I didn't see much protest from our players.

The bigger point is your comment. Like those parents standing on the half way line on a Sunday morning with their arms folded and potty mouths. It's no wonder the game is struggling for refs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here