Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No excuses from Brighton managers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I dont want some hoofball British manager. Prefer an intelligent foreign manager, but one who understands that he is managing the club with the biggest gates in the division.

Does British equal hoofball? You have to fight your way out of this division and I question whether certain overseas managers have that in them. Intelligent foreign manager, Zola or Martinez?

Feb 14, 2010
Does British equal hoofball? You have to fight your way out of this division and I question whether certain overseas managers have that in them. Intelligent foreign manager, Zola or Martinez?

It has done for far too long. I dont know who I want as manager, but please god can they believe in passing the ball and moving into space and not smacking it long and having some twerp in the backroom staff shouting "get in there son" very five minutes

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Absolutely. If any Brighton fan sees this season as a failure, they need to become a plastic watching football on tv. Nobody enjoyed losing in the playoffs but the rest of the season was great.
We've had our share of winning playoffs when we had no right to. Swindon & Bristol City were both mugged by us in 2004.

Rest of the season great, how many bore draws did we have, couldn't beat bottom of the table teams at home as well as away. Bristol City away was a disgrace, I wasted my time and money, missed penalties, senseless sending offs, one up front at home as well as away, the same style every game irrespective of the opposition. If I was Tony Bloom I would not be happy with what was provided. He gave our manager a back four containing two recently former England players, a former Man Utd goalkeeper, a loanee midfielder from a prem team, £1m a year Vicente and a two front men costing over £5.5m. With the investment in that team then we underperformed and the chairman is right in seeking to replace the manager as he as was I, was not mesmerised by our 'passing game'.

Feb 14, 2010
Rest of the season great, how many bore draws did we have, couldn't beat bottom of the table teams at home as well as away. Bristol City away was a disgrace, I wasted my time and money, missed penalties, senseless sending offs, one up front at home as well as away, the same style every game irrespective of the opposition. If I was Tony Bloom I would not be happy with what was provided. He gave our manager a back four containing two recently former England players, a former Man Utd goalkeeper, a loanee midfielder from a prem team, £1m a year Vicente and a two front men costing over £5.5m. With the investment in that team then we underperformed and the chairman is right in seeking to replace the manager as he as was I, was not mesmerised by our 'passing game'.

Difficult to argue with this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I also went to those games, and the fantastic 2-0 win at Cardiff. Who knows what might have happened that night if CMS hadn't snapped his achilles? Who knows what might have happened if Barnes hadn't lost it and got suspended for 7 games?
We didn't have a divine right to win those games, nobody forced you to go. We only lost 9 games all season. 4 years ago, I could only have dreamed of watching a team like ours.
The back four was chosen, brought in, and played for the manager, I don't think Bloom went out and spoke to the players personally.

As I read the situation, I don't think the chairman was looking to replace the manager until the last week or so. What we have spent is only around the middle of the division. Blackburn spent 8 million on one player.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It has done for far too long. I dont know who I want as manager, but please god can they believe in passing the ball and moving into space and not smacking it long and having some twerp in the backroom staff shouting "get in there son" very five minutes

Few teams play as you describe, its an easy argument passing game against hoofing it, a team needs to be able to change its game, Poyet followed a simple formula, only problem we didn't score enough goals and when it came to convert those draws into wins we weren't tough enough. The 'passing game' is not something radical it is just some of the tactics that a team can employ but not an exclusive one, as the smart manager of Palace understood.

chocolate log

May 18, 2013
Willingdon
I follow and those other sides have had success (which in part explains their support). Brighton have not had success but still get 8000 to 10000 more than Leeds. Time to change the mentality. We expect. Follow?

Brighton may have 8000 to 10000 more than Leeds , but Leeds fans were pissed at Bates charging near on premiership prices for third tier and championship football over the past few seasons . The new owners GFH asked the fans up there what there biggest gripe was ,and have reduced prices for the coming season , so , maybe they will start to have a full house again

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I also went to those games, and the fantastic 2-0 win at Cardiff. Who knows what might have happened that night if CMS hadn't snapped his achilles? Who knows what might have happened if Barnes hadn't lost it and got suspended for 7 games?
We didn't have a divine right to win those games, nobody forced you to go. We only lost 9 games all season. 4 years ago, I could only have dreamed of watching a team like ours.
The back four was chosen, brought in, and played for the manager, I don't think Bloom went out and spoke to the players personally.

As I read the situation, I don't think the chairman was looking to replace the manager until the last week or so. What we have spent is only around the middle of the division. Blackburn spent 8 million on one player.

We only lost 9 games all season, but we didn't win enough. CMS couldn't get a regular game with Ulloa arriving, Barnes had been mismanaged. We have no divine right on anything, maybe some on the pitch should have understood that against Palace. Irrespective of how those players arrived, they played for the team and we still failed to make it count. As I understand it the Palace home league match was pivotal for Poyet and we pulled it off. The chairman has his expectations and in business terms, and he is a busimessman, we failed to capitalise on making the big money of the premier league. No excuses, there are consequenses of failure.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Say what? You're blaming the manager for Barnes? I've heard it all now.

Poyet defended his first sending off and Barnes continued with his petulance unchecked until he blew it at Bolton. Strange that when he returned to the team he didn't chase referees, feign injury or fall over with the change of wind. Your suggestion that the manager has no control of his players is farcical.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I think I understand where you're coming from but you're view on TB is too harsh. He's a chairman and fan who's bankrolled this club to the hilt and he's definitely hurting just as much as the rest of us, if not considerably more. He doesn't need to be told about the desire for success by anyone. I certainly believe that the Albion will bloom with Bloom.
Well said young man...The man who banked our stadium and team is a real fan...how many clubs have such a true fan as a Director/Owner...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Get real.. Having 30,000 through the turnstiles means nothing... Look at other clubs in the Championship: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Leicester, Bolton, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesboro - these are big clubs with large fan bases - Large crowds or lots of money are no guarantee of success. How long our fan base will stay at its present level is anyone's guess, but it's not going to last forever. Palace struck lucky - the playoffs are a lottery. Poyet began to create a solid squad structure, and that is why we were successful this year. What will happen next season? Who knows? What players will remain? What players will be sold? Who knows? Will the squad click together or fall apart? Who knows? That's football... we'll just have to wait and see. What effect will the new financial rules have, now that we are over the maximum debt level? Who knows?

Spot on. Large crowds and big budgets are no guarantee of success - although they DO help! If that's was all that mattered there would be no point in playing for actual league points, they'd just allocate positions based on crowds and cash. No one can say what next season will bring. Sure we should do better than say Yeovil, but even that can't be taken as a 100% given.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I think the deification of Poyet is now firmly consigned to the dustbin of history. OK, he got us playing the ball on the ground, but that's hardly a unique talent. After countless years of watching Albion bargain basement wallies playing total hoofball for reasons of budget, a lot of people went overboard on his supposed wondrous managerial talent. Certainly the guy himself totally bought into it. Truth is, he was given a very decent budget, total support of his chairman, and he was obscenely over-indulged. Which in turn only fed his ego to the point where it became unsustainable.

Sorry. That is way OTT.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Trying to play tika taka football as your plan A, plan B and plan C to get out of the Championship has not quite worked. In fairness we've had a bloody good season and understandably, because we got within touching distance of the promised land only to get out thought and out battled by a better motivated bitter enemy, everyone is still feeling totally pissed off. What we now need is a new manager and players who will build on the solid foundations already in place - we need more pace, fitness and more physicality (ie add some German to the Spanish) and we need a manager with a bit more tactical nous and flexibility than our previous one. We need to pass AND power our way out of this division!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think our 'lethargic' approach is great over the course of the season, but not what is needed in a smash and grab playoff.

That. It would have been great to say have warnock in charge for the play off matches!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here