Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No excuses from Brighton managers

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
And the excuse for the last 100 years has been? I'm sorry but its time for a mentality change. Brighton get 10000 more than Leeds, so lets start demanding that our managers start to understand that.
attendance is irrelevant ...but mentality change is the only chance we have

I predict we will again have the biggest support in the division and bigger than a third of the Premier League. I also predict that our next manager will not understand that as such this club expects success, whether he likes it or not.
unless he is blind deaf and dumb he will have no doubt whatsoever what is required..it really is a cliche but we HAVE TO KEEP THE FAITH and not jump on the back of which ever manager we get when he does not win our first 10 games 3-0...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think the deification of Poyet is now firmly consigned to the dustbin of history. OK, he got us playing the ball on the ground, but that's hardly a unique talent. After countless years of watching Albion bargain basement wallies playing total hoofball for reasons of budget, a lot of people went overboard on his supposed wondrous managerial talent. Certainly the guy himself totally bought into it. Truth is, he was given a very decent budget, total support of his chairman, and he was obscenely over-indulged. Which in turn only fed his ego to the point where it became unsustainable.
Bang on the money.

Feb 14, 2010
Where does this 10,000 more than Leeds come from? Our average attendance at the Amex is just over 23,000, Leeds' attendance in the past two seasons is about 22,500. And we're talking historical records then Leeds is considerably higher than ours,

You do seem to advocating spending money that we haven't got. We get respectable gates but if you look at the past four or five years, we're not in the top half of the division. We also don't have the benefit of parachute payments and, as others have pointed out, we haven't gone in administration and shafted our creditors. I really don't think spending silly money is the way forward, we made an £8m loss last year and I see no reason to add to it. Spending sensibly is the way forward not doing a Pompey.

I really think people are getting carried away. We did respectably last season - we punched above our weight in finishing fourth: we certainly didn't have the fourth biggest wage bill, but lost out in a one-off match, partly because our manager was out-thought by his opposite number.

Gus had his good points and his bad points but let's not forget that he took us from the bottom of the third to the top of the second. He ultimately failed but I prefer to see him as the Peter Taylor to Alan Mullery, or Brian Horton to Mickey Adams (Mrk 1), paving the way for something better.

Leeds get (if you take away their largest gates) about 18000 to 21000 at home every week. Brighton get without sneezing 28000 to 30,000 and we still averagesd what 26,000/27,000. Our average is also smaller because of a smaller capacity at the start of the season. I am advocating a winners mentality. Poyet was constantly under selling this club, some say to big himself up. Bottom line is that he had the likes of Wayne Bridge playing in front of the biggest support in the division and he failed to get us promotion. The next manager had better understand what is expected.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It should be pointed out that little clubs like Palace have succeeded by going into Administration twice.

What they have also done is developed talent through an academy which has allowed them to survive (just) in the Championship for god knows how long, building a squad of players that know how to play in this division. We have been in the championship for 2 years.

To demand instant success just because we get twice the crowds they get, is the sort of mind set that will make us bankrupt. No matter how much we hate them and how much they have screwed people over financially, they have been miles ahead of us for years and there is no denying that.

We are slowly catching up and we will overtake them in time - patience is required here.

Palace have a fantastic youth system, which we can't compete with. They may not have paid huge transfer fees but they have players like Zaha and Williams and I'm sure their wage bill is not far off ours (might even be more). Just because you have the highest crowds does not mean you have the highest budget.

The youth academy is the key. We've managed to produce League 1 players with our youth system with no facilities at all but once our academy is up and running then we can compete on an even keel.
Large crowds also mean large expenditure especially when no other club in this division has over a 6 figure sum just for transport.
The Gus era is over but some fans are still sticking the boot in despite our highest finish for over 30 years. It must also be remembered that Holloway is very experienced in the play off situations whereas this was Gus' first job. You can't put old heads on young shoulders.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Fo Fcks sake how many excuses have you given for failure again next season. Palace were bankrupt just over a year ago and it didnt stop them. When you have the biggest support in the division then you expect require and demand, not ask politely.

I didn't see this season as a failure. I'll remember it with the awe i felt most of the way through it once this spell of unholy greyness passes. And i won't see next season as a failure if we can push for the play-offs or even better. I won't demand it though, just because i am one of many. Partly because i have no idea of who to demand it from. The new training ground, the youth set-up and a continuation of scouring Europe for young talent will have me pleased as a sign of ongoing improvement.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The youth academy is the key.

5 years minimum for that to kick in properly in my view. Great idea but may become a further drain on resources as FFP kicks in.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The youth academy is the key. We've managed to produce League 1 players with our youth system with no facilities at all but once our academy is up and running then we can compete on an even keel.
Large crowds also mean large expenditure especially when no other club in this division has over a 6 figure sum just for transport.
The Gus era is over but some fans are still sticking the boot in despite our highest finish for over 30 years. It must also be remembered that Holloway is very experienced in the play off situations whereas this was Gus' first job. You can't put old heads on young shoulders.

The irony is, a couple of weeks ago all the anti Poyet crowd seemed to have shut up (I wish they would now too) and all Palace fans were calling for Holloway to be sacked. A couple of weeks can change things completely!

Feb 14, 2010
I didn't see this season as a failure. I'll remember it with the awe i felt most of the way through it once this spell of unholy greyness passes. And i won't see next season as a failure if we can push for the play-offs or even better. I won't demand it though, just because i am one of many. Partly because i have no idea of who to demand it from. The new training ground, the youth set-up and a continuation of scouring Europe for young talent will have me pleased as a sign of ongoing improvement.

You demand it from the players and manager. Lets hear them recognise that they are playing for the club with the biggest crowds in the division. Not Leeds, not Derby, not Shef Weds. Brighton, and its time our manager and players started to understand that with this, brings expectation and they are required to deal with that. If small clubs like Wigan and Palace can achieve then its about time our players and managers started to understand that there are 30,000 at Brighton who expect them to do so.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
5 years minimum for that to kick in properly in my view. Great idea but may become a further drain on resources as FFP kicks in.

If we have to cut costs a bit to get the academy sorted, that is something we have to accept. It is the future of the club. Luckily, Tony Bloom clearly realises this and has invested it.

This is what people don't get. We have only been at the Amex for two years and in some ways, especially training ground and academy, we are a lower league club. People want success overnight but it doesn't always happen and we don't want to bankrupt ourselves by chasing the dream too soon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Absolutely. If any Brighton fan sees this season as a failure, they need to become a plastic watching football on tv. Nobody enjoyed losing in the playoffs but the rest of the season was great.
We've had our share of winning playoffs when we had no right to. Swindon & Bristol City were both mugged by us in 2004.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You demand it from the players and manager. Lets hear them recognise that they are playing for the club with the biggest crowds in the division. Not Leeds, not Derby, not Shef Weds. Brighton, and its time our manager and players started to understand that with this, brings expectation and they are required to deal with that. If small clubs like Wigan and Palace can achieve then its about time our players and managers started to understand that there are 30,000 at Brighton who expect them to do so.

You sound like a broken record. There are teams on a £15 million parachute payment (which is soon to go up) and that cancels out and trumps the highest attendances. It's so obvious, I don't get why you don't understand it!

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
If a club like Palace who struggle to get 14000/15000 to pay to watch them can get promoted then as fans of a club who can get 30000 through the door without much difficulty then we should not take any excuses from our managers. Poyet came close but fell short. If Poyet goes then the next manager should be greeted with a roar of expectation, and he will have to be big enough to deal with that in my opinion. Excuses wont wash anymore. This club should never be below clubs with the fan base of Palace and Wigan. I hope Bloom is hurting today and that he comes back with a real anger and desire. I hope that is then drilled into the next manager and all the " we are so lucky to have Poyet" mentality is consigned to history. Brighton should in my view start to expect and require, not ask and hope.

I think I understand where you're coming from but you're view on TB is too harsh. He's a chairman and fan who's bankrolled this club to the hilt and he's definitely hurting just as much as the rest of us, if not considerably more. He doesn't need to be told about the desire for success by anyone. I certainly believe that the Albion will bloom with Bloom.

Feb 14, 2010
If we have to cut costs a bit to get the academy sorted, that is something we have to accept. It is the future of the club. Luckily, Tony Bloom clearly realises this and has invested it.

This is what people don't get. We have only been at the Amex for two years and in some ways, especially training ground and academy, we are a lower league club. People want success overnight but it doesn't always happen and we don't want to bankrupt ourselves by chasing the dream too soon.

People do get this. But I wont accept players and managers lack of respect towards the fans of the best supported team in the division anymore. I also want the mentality of winners, not "what excuse can we come up with this time". Won fook all and under achieved for 100 years. Not good enough, and time to kick arse and get angry.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If a club like Palace who struggle to get 14000/15000 to pay to watch them can get promoted then as fans of a club who can get 30000 through the door without much difficulty then we should not take any excuses from our managers. Poyet came close but fell short. If Poyet goes then the next manager should be greeted with a roar of expectation, and he will have to be big enough to deal with that in my opinion. Excuses wont wash anymore. This club should never be below clubs with the fan base of Palace and Wigan. I hope Bloom is hurting today and that he comes back with a real anger and desire. I hope that is then drilled into the next manager and all the " we are so lucky to have Poyet" mentality is consigned to history. Brighton should in my view start to expect and require, not ask and hope.

No excuses, there should have been none last year, neither should there be any next year. From the man that said he was 'bored with managing a team that couldn't score' even though he set the team. We really should have made it this year, five year plan, rubbish you take it when you can. We need a manager that will make our team fitter, stronger physically and mentally and one that can adapt. I reckon to get us out of the championship we need a British manager who knows the expectation we all have!

Feb 14, 2010
I think I understand where you're coming from but you're view on TB is too harsh. He's a chairman and fan who's bankrolled this club to the hilt and he's definitely hurting just as much as the rest of us, if not considerably more. He doesn't need to be told about the desire for success by anyone. I certainly believe that the Albion will bloom with Bloom.

What are you talking about? this is not anti Bloom at all. Read the thread.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I get it, in three years time professional football will change completely as the era of excessive wages and payments to agents etc will slowly end.

FFP will totally transform football at the lower end and several clubs will go under as their costs are out of control and at least we will have a future.

Feb 14, 2010
No excuses, there should have been none last year, neither should there be any next year. From the man that said he was 'bored with managing a team that couldn't score' even though he set the team. We really should have made it this year, five year plan, rubbish you take it when you can. We need a manager that will make our team fitter, stronger physically and mentally and one that can adapt. I reckon to get us out of the championship we need a British manager who knows the expectation we all have!

I dont want some hoofball British manager. Prefer an intelligent foreign manager, but one who understands that he is managing the club with the biggest gates in the division.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I dont want some hoofball British manager. Prefer an intelligent foreign manager, but one who understands that he is managing the club with the biggest gates in the division.

Leeds had the biggest gates of the division.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

British managers who get fit strong physical players need a lot of money. The club are cutting down on expenditure.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I get it, in three years time professional football will change completely as the era of excessive wages and payments to agents etc will slowly end.

FFP will totally transform football at the lower end and several clubs will go under as their costs are out of control and at least we will have a future.

It wasn't particularly aimed at you, more some people in this thread who seem to want us to spend recklessly. I do think that FFP will change football but it makes it even more vital to invest in the academy. Palace show the money you can get for players you bring through or hopefully they get you up to the Premier League and you keep them. Either way, it is the best way to thrive under FFP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here