Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No big name striker for Saturday.

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I take it we were not interested in Tresor Kandol then, or he didn't want to come.

We will be fine anyway, yes we have been woefully wasteful in front of goal in pre-season, but id rather it all comes together in the next few games when it matters.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I despair with some people on this board I really do. If Gus rushed out and bought a striker today, he would not be in the team Saturday any way. Any new player would need time to settle and we have been playing 4-5-1 all pre season, Barnes was going to start against Swindon no matter what.

As many have said on other threads and maybe on this one too, the Premier League's squad limits of 25 are pushing back the time for transfers. The moment those are squads are chosen we will see loads of transfers. Unfortunately this thread is indicative of the culture we live in now, everyone is so impatient and expects instant success. Personally I would be happy for us to finish 10th this year, higher would be fantastic but progress from last season is all I went to see and I believe we have better squad than this time last year.

Nail on the head.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Why all the negativity? Barnes & Holroyd in a 442 playing on the deck through midfield, will be plenty to get past Swindon. I know certain posters have it in for Holroyd but, as back up, he hasn't really done too much wrong so far imo.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I know certain posters have it in for Holroyd but, as back up, he hasn't really done too much wrong so far imo.

Some would say he has'nt done too much right either, Still you never know one goal for the boy could change that.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
You have a stunning way with words.

Cheers.
I'll pass your message onto my neuropsychologist, who'll beam with pride. Maybe i'll also email it to my former speech and language therapist in order to start a health professionals war over who was most remedially influential. I sniff a doctorly bitchfight.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
How long has he had to get one in? Whoever he gets in needs to be good and come soon otherwise we are looking at starting off our season poorly again.

but he HAS signed a striker. Ashley Barnes. Gus said he wanted him and has now signed him.

what more do some people want! some cracking signings, hugely promising pre-season (in the games we took seriously), falmer round the corner, gus has signed his contract, england under 17 captain at the club... most people are massively optimistic about the season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
but he HAS signed a striker. Ashley Barnes. Gus said he wanted him and has now signed him.

what more do some people want! some cracking signings, hugely promising pre-season (in the games we took seriously), falmer round the corner, gus has signed his contract, england under 17 captain at the club... most people are massively optimistic about the season.

Quite. 1 piece of the jigsaw has not fit yet, out of NINETY NINE pieces.

Things haven't looked this good before since I started following the Albion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some would say he has'nt done too much right either, Still you never know one goal for the boy could change that.

Watch him in the next game - he has a very good touch, makes intelligent runs into space (he could've been played through 8 or 9 times against MK Dons, was incredibly frustrating to watch), and looks instinctive in terms of timing his runs etc.

He WILL come good given good service. Not 20 goals a season or anything like that, but he will prove himself a valuable squad player.

My only concern is that he could be too lightweight.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would say this is the most positive I've been since 2000-2001. It's worth remembering that we lost three out of the first games that season and might have lost four had it not been for a bit of luck and the emergence of a certain B. Zamora.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here