Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No big name striker for Saturday.

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Not the end of the world. Gus said he wanted his team together for the start of pre season, so something hasnt worked out quite right. I am worried by the lack of fire power, but I am confident enough we will create 5-10 good chances a game, just need to convert 2 of them, even if we are wasteful with the rest.

I'd be more worried if we didnt have a supply line to any striker whether its Holroyd or this illusive big name striker

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
How long has he had to get one in? Whoever he gets in needs to be good and come soon otherwise we are looking at starting off our season poorly again.

Are you being stupid on purpose? It's not a question of just going shopping.

He has to identify a player and then compete for him - and that's after the player is made available by his club, which this season may not be until after the season has started.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
people also need to remember how we were under slade and under adams . it was dreadful , shit football . we hardly created any chances.. under gus the football we play is amazing most of the time . and yes alot of that was with either murray or barnes upfornt on their own.

stop f***ing moaning

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Come on fellas, a dose of reality here, Norwich lost their 1st game of last season 7 - 1 to Colchester and still won the league. Gus has it all under control.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No big name striker for Saturday.

The title of this thread is a misnomer.

l think it extremely unlikely Gus will sign a BIG NAME striker at all. A pound to a penny, the striker who finally arrives will come, either from a country on the lberian penninsula, (Spain or Portugal), or maybe South America, OR a less well known striker from our own shores, League One or Two, or maybe even the Conference.

Gus operates in mysterious ways.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well that's a load of rubbish. Total shambles.

"We had a couple of options and they didn't work out for different reasons.

"It's so close to the game on Saturday now that we don't want to make a quick decision and make a wrong one."

He's had all summer. All summer. How can he possibly still be indecisive about a striker? 6000 people know it's where we need to strengthen, and he's failed to do it in time.

Doesn't sound too hopeful that the 2 players he's deciding on are going to set the world alight either.

Gus has LOADS of good points, but he's made a right hash of this one. I just hope he redeems himself in the next 4 weeks. :nono:

You can't just magic up a striker! Decent, proven forwards are hard to come by and generally expensive. I really don't see how this point is a stick to beat him with.

We have seemingly missed out on two targets and I think it is sensible not to waste any of the budget on a rash signing which will/might not improve our front line.

More players will become available towards the end of this month.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I cant believe people are kicking off about this. How many of you have been involved in the search, you think Gus wanted this!

At the end of the day,yes its dissapointing but look at the crap strikers weve signed in the past, Dickinson.....Holroyd.....Davies to name but 3. We dont need to waste money or wages on the wrong-un.

Im ok to trust him on this one and wait until the end of august...which no doubt is when clubs will sell and loan out players as they would themselves have got the players they want in and have the squad they are happy with.

Its no doubt weve obviously been turned down by players/agents, out fought wages wise and priced out by over in-flated asking prices.

It will all work out.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I despair with some people on this board I really do. If Gus rushed out and bought a striker today, he would not be in the team Saturday any way. Any new player would need time to settle and we have been playing 4-5-1 all pre season, Barnes was going to start against Swindon no matter what.

As many have said on other threads and maybe on this one too, the Premier League's squad limits of 25 are pushing back the time for transfers. The moment those are squads are chosen we will see loads of transfers. Unfortunately this thread is indicative of the culture we live in now, everyone is so impatient and expects instant success. Personally I would be happy for us to finish 10th this year, higher would be fantastic but progress from last season is all I went to see and I believe we have better squad than this time last year.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If we're lucky.

Yeah! We'd be lucky to only lose 1-0. Can you imagine if they stuff us 7-1? I mean, what kind of season can a team look forward to if that's what happens in their opening game?!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I cant believe people are kicking off about this. How many of you have been involved in the search, you think Gus wanted this!

At the end of the day,yes its dissapointing but look at the crap strikers weve signed in the past, Dickinson.....Holroyd.....Davies to name but 3. We dont need to waste money or wages on the wrong-un.

Im ok to trust him on this one and wait until the end of august...which no doubt is when clubs will sell and loan out players as they would themselves have got the players they want in and have the squad they are happy with.

Its no doubt weve obviously been turned down by players/agents, out fought wages wise and priced out by over in-flated asking prices.

It will all work out.

To be fair it's really only the usual suspects who's regular negative posts given the slightest opportunity tend rather dilute the validity of their content. Most people are more realistic.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Well that's a load of rubbish. Total shambles.

"We had a couple of options and they didn't work out for different reasons.

"It's so close to the game on Saturday now that we don't want to make a quick decision and make a wrong one."

He's had all summer. All summer. How can he possibly still be indecisive about a striker? 6000 people know it's where we need to strengthen, and he's failed to do it in time.

Doesn't sound too hopeful that the 2 players he's deciding on are going to set the world alight either.

Gus has LOADS of good points, but he's made a right hash of this one. I just hope he redeems himself in the next 4 weeks. :nono:

haha, you really are a total plum

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wish i lived in the mahogany drawer in the desk that sits in gus' office so that i could listen in to all of his conversations and make an educated guess as to whether he has done enough or not. I'd also refill his not-oft-used stapler and polish the copper wheels on his chair and write notes on his calendar of my birthday and the anniversary of when i first moved into the desk in lemon juice and when i notice a slight deflation would pump air into the sturdy wheels ofthe gusbus.
Sadly i can just mouth off idiotically on a website for now until that happens and claim i know everything right and wrong with the world. On this occasion i am going for "right" as Gus has to show faith in those he has to prepare properly for a tense opening delivery rather than bring in some hefty gloryhound who wouldn't have had time to learn how we play.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My reading of this is that a big name striker is still very much on the cards. The bigger they are the closer to the end of August they will decide where to go, as transfers will knock on a lot from what happens in the premiership. All filters down and eventually means someone will come our way. Not a problem I don't think.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Withdean Wanderer in negative chirlish comment.

Do you actually live on planet earth?

Personally it appears to me that youre living in another world. You're so far back in the wardrobe you're f***ing Mr. Tumnus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here