Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No big name striker for Saturday.

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Albion will not have a new striker for Saturday's League One opener at Swindon.

Boss Gus Poyet was hoping to bolster the front line ahead of the trip to the County Ground.

But he revealed this morning: "The one that is going to take a little bit longer now is going to be the striker.

"We had a couple of options and they didn't work out for different reasons.

"It's so close to the game on Saturday now that we don't want to make a quick decision and make a wrong one."

Ashley Barnes will lead the attack in the absence of the suspended Glenn Murray.

Midfielder Alan Navarro was put through his paces by Albion's physios before training.

He is expected to feature in the side which started last Saturday's friendly against Aberdeen, apart from Adam El-Abd deputising for the banned Gordon Greer in the centre of defence.

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
sounds as tho he's sorted out who it will be tho. barnes in a 4-5-1 against swindon will be good enough. Kishishev is gonna be player of the season!

ha ha! i see i read that completely wrong! stupid optimism!

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
426px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on.svg.png

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Bit dissapointing as Barnes up on his own is very lightweight.

But he's right about not gambling in this area, the wait will pay off im sure.

On a positive note, he does say the one that will take time is the striker, which to me indicates the deal for a winger is more or less there.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Well that's a load of rubbish. Total shambles.

"It's so close to the game on Saturday now that we don't want to make a quick decision and make a wrong one."

He's had all summer. All summer. How can he possibly still be indecisive about a striker? 6000 people know it's where we need to strengthen, and he's failed to do it in time.

Doesn't sound too hopeful that the 2 players he's deciding on are going to set the world alight either.

Gus has LOADS of good points, but he's made a right hash of this one. I just hope he redeems himself in the next 4 weeks. :nono:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He hasn't "failed to do it in time". THE RIGHT STRIKER IS NOT AVAILABLE. What do you want him to do? Magic one out of thin air?

I'm glad we have a manager who makes sensible, thought out decisions. This is a LONG TERM plan.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
well i trust gus to sort it out

i also trust him to make us very hard to beat even if we are a bit lightweight upfront

if he can get barnes stretching the defence it can let bennett smith sparrow kishishev and even calderon and painter bomb forward.

not sure many league one teams are used to this style of play.

1 - 1 though i think

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How long has he had to get one in? Whoever he gets in needs to be good and come soon otherwise we are looking at starting off our season poorly again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How long has he had to get one in? Whoever he gets in needs to be good and come soon otherwise we are looking at starting off our season poorly again.

Fact 1. - Over the second half of last season our results saw us 5th.
Fact 2. - We have significantly improved the squad since.

Why, with a BETTER team, will we do WORSE? So confusing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Super Baz can also play up front :thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No Big Issue, The season will not be won or lost on this first game.

Let panic kick on the 31st :angry:

I still personally dont believe we will sign a 'big name' i cant see them wanting to get someone in on huge wages who is costing us alot of money, if they were prepeard to do that, that would of happend by now.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
DRAMMMAAAAAA :flounce:

As many have pointed out over the last few months, in the second half of last season, we had Barnes and Murray as our 2 strikers and we did REALLY well. There's plenty of goals in the midfield (Kish, Parrow, Bennett) and there's no rush if the right striker is not available yet!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well that's a load of rubbish. Total shambles.

He's had all summer. All summer. How can he possibly still be indecisive about a striker? 6000 people know it's where we need to strengthen, and he's failed to do it in time.

Doesn't sound too hopeful that the 2 players he's deciding on are going to set the world alight either.

Gus has LOADS of good points, but he's made a right hash of this one. I just hope he redeems himself in the next 4 weeks. :nono:

Here we go, look you've had a good off season, made some very valid points and with the season about to start off you go. I'd rather Gus took his time rather than rush to get any old name because if said striker was duff you'd be the first to moan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here