Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No bids for Albion ace Mackail-Smith

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I must read it differently to everybody else as I read it that Gus is saying that he has no intention of selling CMS but if somebody comes in with a price that they cant resist then they would have to consider it.
Indeed.

"Boss Gus Poyet clarified the club's stance on the future of Mackail-Smith at his regular Thursday morning press conference at The Amex.

Ulloa has been bought from Spanish club Almeria to play with Mackail-Smith, not instead of him."

It's not complicated is it, he says he wants to keep CMS. Now I appreciate that managers don't always tell the truth, and you can speculate he's not, but it's pretty bloody clear what he's saying.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I read this a little different, almost a where are the bids? Gus suggesting that if a team came in with a good bid, its not his fault the player was sold blah blah blah but, IMO putting CMS in the window, in the press as if to say anyone interested? but thats just my take on it and I would love to see us with 2 upfront, been waiting a long time.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
The only thing which frustrates me about CMS is that he somehow manages to do the hard stuff (Burnley X2 etc) but seems to consistently waste easy chances and mis controls passes most professional footballers could take with their eyes shut. If he gets more consistent he'd be a top, top striker in this league. Saying that, selling him is NOT the way forward, can see him and Ulloa tearing this league apart and putting us in the playoffs, however a bid over £3million would be tempting.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Indeed.

"Boss Gus Poyet clarified the club's stance on the future of Mackail-Smith at his regular Thursday morning press conference at The Amex.

Ulloa has been bought from Spanish club Almeria to play with Mackail-Smith, not instead of him."

It's not complicated is it, he says he wants to keep CMS. Now I appreciate that managers don't always tell the truth, and you can speculate he's not, but it's pretty bloody clear what he's saying.

Most definitely this. It's the news I have been hoping to hear, Gus is going to play them both, fantastic. Even when we have had others like barndoor billy etc. he still only played one up top, most of the time. I really hope no bids come in for CMS or Bridcutt.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
from the argus website
Albion have received no offers for Craig Mackail-Smith and have no desire to lose their top scorer this month after signing Leonardo Ulloa.

Poyet told The Argus: "I have been asked 150,000 times that Macca needed this kind of striker (Ulloa) to play with him and now that we have got him we are going to send him away!

I must have mentioned at least a million times on NSC I wish our manager would stop exaggerating.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
If Ulloa is starting I just can't see where Cms will play. The winger in the 4-2-3-1 position? I can't see it. He's an out and out centre forward and Gus isn't gonna go 2 up front is he?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
By bringing in Ulloa, I see that as Gus has found the right player to play alongside Macca. He said that he would build his team around Macca the day he brought him to the club.
To me this would suggest that anyone of Dobbie, Hoskins or Barnes Bha careers are over. 5 into 2 does not fit and yes, I do believe that particularly at home Gus will play 2 up top.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If Ulloa is starting I just can't see where Cms will play. The winger in the 4-2-3-1 position? I can't see it. He's an out and out centre forward and Gus isn't gonna go 2 up front is he?

Kucsack
Bruno Greer El-Abd Bridge
Buckley Bridcutt Hammond Barnes
CMS Ulloa

Where the hell will Vicente, Lua Lua, Orlandi, Hoskins, Lopez, Crofts, Dobbie et al fit in? Be a great bench!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
O I agree zeb ..but if club gt an offer of say £8mill u think club wud turn it down?

I doubt it and I wouldn't really blame them but replacing Bridcutt would be so, so difficult especially in the short term.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Kucsack
CMS Ulloa

Where the hell will Vicente, Lua Lua, Orlandi, Hoskins, Lopez, Crofts, Dobbie et al fit in? Be a great bench!

Absolutely no chance that Vicente wouldn't start when fully fit!

Our squad is incredible now though, every time you pick a line-up you are left looking at the bench and thinking 'but how can I leave him out of the team'?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Good to know that the Ulloa deal wasn't dependant on the CMS sale.

Does it really matter whether Gus will play 2 up front from the start in every game?

Surely we now have Plan B sorted when needed.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Kucsack
CMS Ulloa

Eh??.... Orlandi is a certain starter. or have you not seen any of his performances?... same goes with lopez,... I see Barnes giving way for sure, he does all that Barnes is feted for, but he is more dynamic and creates goals for himslef.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Kucsack
CMS Ulloa

Where the hell will Vicente, Lua Lua, Orlandi, Hoskins, Lopez, Crofts, Dobbie et al fit in? Be a great bench![/QUO

I don't see 4-4-2 ever happening to be honest. I think I heard poyet saying before one game recently that he tried 3-5-2 in training during the week but didn't like it. Seems alittle like he is trying to consider 2 up top but deep down he prefers to pack the mf rather than have 2 strikers.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Eh??.... Orlandi is a certain starter. or have you not seen any of his performances?... same goes with lopez,... I see Barnes giving way for sure, he does all that Barnes is feted for, but he is more dynamic and creates goals for himslef.

Orlandi may have scored 2 in the last 2 games but we have started winning again since Barnes has been back in the side. But as @Kazenga <3 said, you look at the bench and think how can I leave such and such out. For me, when fully fit I would start Vicente but you can't in a 4-4-2 with Ulloa and CMS starting, probably would have to be a 4-2-3-1.. As for Lopez, I don't really rate him that high, he has done better as a wingback but not as an out and out winger.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Kucsack
CMS Ulloa

Simple - hoskins and dobbie won't fit in!

Gus has commented about trimming the squad, as we are a little heavy on numbers...harley & sparrow's departures is a start, would be surprised if vincelot and at least one of hoskins/dobbie don't leave during this window too.

Orlandi should come into the starting XI for barnes from your suggestion (who becomes 3rd choice out and out st). Bench of ankergren/brezovan, calderon/painter, dunk, crofts/dicker, lopez, lualua, barnes - with a tough decision to be made when vicente is fit. It's a good problem for gus to have!

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
So he's not going to Norwich- I thought he was going to sign last Saturday !

I wonder who told the Argus about Leicester. It would be interesting if someone did a study of tabloid speculation that actually turns out to be true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here