Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Amex bookmakers ?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
This does seem strange. Of course, if people want to bet on the match they have phones etc and will be easily able to do so, but this misses the point. If they bet on their phone, the club doesn't get any money from it.

I find it hard to believe that a deal could not have been done. On-site facilities attract punters who have no interest in overrounds or value, but simply want to have a cash bet. These punters also tend to bet into the high-margin markets like first scorer or correct score, not the low-margin win-draw-win. They are a captive audience, who pay more for their bets on site in the same way that they pay more for their beer.

Since it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be 23,000 people turning up every other week, it seems very odd that it wasn't possible to reach a solution that would keep both club and bookie happy with their share of the spoils. It would surely have been better to have an extra revenue stream rather than yet another merchandising/food outlet. Even if you're making little money from it initially, it's likely to grow over time as people notice that it's there.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's f***ing shit!

Although probably quite good for my bank balance.....but still f***ing shit!

Also crazy given Mr Blooms background, sort it out Tony!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Martin Perry specifically said on my Falmer tour that they were struggling to secure a reasonable deal with a bookmaker so the betting points would probably be taken out.

'Against family values' is nonsense.

Then they need to get their story straight because the person who told me would certainly know what they were talking about.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Then they need to get their story straight because the person who told me would certainly know what they were talking about.

I'd believe the 'reasonable deal' story more than the family values. After all, if that's the thinking then why are they allowing drinking in the ground? It also sounds like TB calling Hill's/Ladbrokes bluff on the scale of the charges - he's waiting for one of them to blink.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watford had a kiosk in the away end as well. They helped themselves to my tenner. Ha

Am gutted, I want a bookies in the WSU for sure. Can we protest this to insider ?.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Why would anyone want to Place a bet with a high street bookmaker anyway ??

Betfair all the way

Why would you use betfair, when it has been proven that most online bookmakers will offer better odds after they take their commission, the only time to use betfair is if you are laying or want to be able to hedge

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I'd believe the 'reasonable deal' story more than the family values. After all, if that's the thinking then why are they allowing drinking in the ground? It also sounds like TB calling Hill's/Ladbrokes bluff on the scale of the charges - he's waiting for one of them to blink.

Calling their bluff? They are businesses pitching for more business. If they can't find a single bookie willing to deal on the club's terms, then the club's terms are more likely to be the problem than the bookies'.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember doing a £10 scorecast (0-1 and Zamora @ 80/1) at Woverhampton. Bobby scored after 10 minutes and we held out until near the end (ended 1-1)....never left a ground feeling so gutted :nono:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Loved having a bet in grounds i have been to which allow you to, was somthing that i was looking forward to on match day as havent been able to before, pint in the ground and a bet. I REALLY hope this changes.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Would love to see that episode of "Hancock's Half Hour" when Hancock realises he has seven draws up on the pools and the last game is a night fixture between East Cheam Rovers and somebody. He gets into the ground then at half-time as one team are winning, blags his way into their dressing-room as the "new Manager" and switches the team around, putting a midget in goal.

Of course the team then lose but the bit in the dressing-room and the shot of the midget trying to stop a rain of shots over and round him was HILARIOUS (even in black and white).

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yeah this is a shame.

Of course some people don't want to bet and you can bet other ways etc but that misses the point, firstly if you do that the club egts nothing from it but it's not really what the spirit of the thing is about - going to the ground, putting a few quid on something on impulse. If the only way is online betting with a phone most probably just won't bother.

Also the club don't want everyone rushing out and swamping the travel as soon as final whistle goes- allowing people to have a bet on a live tv match and then watch might have kept a few more behind.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So it's fine for The Lizard to jet off round the world to play poker for big stakes, but it ain't ok for the great unwashed to have a flutter at The Albion of a match day? Deary me.

Not only does it smack of "Do as I say, not as I do", a valuable Albion income stream will now disappear to the online bookmakers on matchdays. I don't even gamble meself, but fair play to those who enjoy a punt - especially as it'll have the added benefit of helping the football team I go & support.

Sort it out Tony. Oh, & get some chips on the menu while you're at it. :annoyed:

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
At the Open Day on Sunday we were told that they hoped to have something sorted out by the Tottenham game. Not sure if that is purely going to be 1901 or for the whole ground. then again the person we spoke to could just have been blatantly lying!!

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
who needs a bookies anyway. With smart phones, internet it wont be long before bookies on the high streets will be gone. Surely if you want a bet do it before the game. If you want to bet in play then use your blower. Simples

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
But then saying that, Tony bloom is known as 1 on the worlds best gamblers so does seem a bit odd that his own club dont have a bookmakers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here