Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NIMBY sympathising in the Daily Telegraph

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Theres a small bit in the telegraph by Simon Heffer slagging of the stadium. Then again Simon Heffer has always been the main dickhead at the mail and we should abduct him and turn him over to LI and his cudgel weilding cronies for a good pummelling.

I will be e-mailing the Telegraph and complaining about his apointment, that clown lowers the f***ing tone and can f*** off back to the mail.:angry:

edna krabappel said:
I'm afraid to say they haven't captured her best side...
Is this her best side?

gutted.thumb.jpg

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Drumstick said:
from nimbys in paper ' The football club has been able to pay huge sums to consultants,expert witnesses and so forth in the inquiry but we have had to fight our corner our selves.'

YEAH WITH THE HELP OF LEWIS COUNCIL!

And my council tax money :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To be fair to the Telegraph (and I'm not sure why I should be), there's another article (at least in the on-line edition) from Mike Ward - obviously very positive:

Seagulls are flying high after stadium decision
By Mike Ward
(Filed: 29/10/2005)

To suggest that Brighton and Hove Albion have been waiting rather a long time for their new stadium would be an understatement of almost Prescott-like proportions.

When Brighton last had a home they could call their own, the Conservatives still held power, the Spice Girls dominated the charts and mention of an iPod would have brought you stares of bewilderment.

So, yes, it's been quite a struggle, brought to a happy conclusion yesterday when Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, with whom the fiercely contested decision had come to rest, announced that the 23,000 stadium at nearby Falmer, an East Sussex village, could go ahead. The plan now is to have it ready for the 2008-09 season.

"I feel very emotional that it's finally happened," commented chief executive Martin Perry, the driving force behind the Seagulls' campaign. His sentiments were echoed by the tireless Paul Samrah, chairman of the Falmer For All campaign. "So many people have worked so hard for this," he said.

Brighton played their last match at the Goldstone Ground in April 1997, the previous board having controversially sold the land to developers for a retail park.

For the next two years, "home" fixtures meant a 150-mile journey to Gillingham and back. For the remainder, they've meant sitting in the appallingly inadequate Withdean Stadium, a predominantly roof-less, council-owned athletics ground.

Rendered just about usable thanks to temporary seating, Withdean holds a mere 6,973 spectators, upon whom the gods have conspired to unleash a torrent of rain at 3pm almost every alternate Saturday since August 1999. It used to be a zoo.

Humour played a key role throughout Brighton's stadium campaign, their supporters obliged to become increasingly inventive as a public inquiry dragged on and the club's meagre funds dwindled.

Objectors were continuing to point out that the proposed site lay in an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'. In response, campaigners published gently mocking postcards of the land in question, suggesting that this designation had become somewhat outdated since it came to accommodate the A27 dual carriageway and the less than aesthetically pleasing headquarters of Southern Water.

The obligatory dull stuff had already been taken care of - winning a referendum, securing approval from local planners, collecting a 61,452-signature petition.

High-profile supporters Des Lynam and Norman Cook had helped deliver stacks of pro-stadium letters to Downing Street. Messrs Wenger, Eriksson and Beckham (who had made his first-team debut at the Goldstone) were among countless leading figures who voiced their support.

With a decision still no nearer, maintaining the campaign's profile would clearly require even further lateral thinking. So Brighton fans sent Mr Prescott a giant Valentine's card. They arranged for him to receive a bouquet from every club in the League. They staged a photographic stunt which involved drenching Lynam with buckets of water, replicating the I've-Just-Spent-90-Minutes-In-The-South-Stand look.

They even made the Top 20, punk poet Attila The Stockbroker's single Tom Hark (We Want Falmer) reaching No 17 in the singles chart in January.

Even Mr Prescott himself, while remaining tight-lipped about his verdict until the bitter end, remarked several times upon the fans' "good mannered" campaign.

When an inspector's interim report last year recommended refusal, it looked as though all their efforts had been in vain, but Mr Prescott insisted the public inquiry be re-opened for further evidence.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well said The Gullhanger. We haven't heard much from him lately.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lord Bracknell said:
There speaks someone who doesn't read the matchday programme.

:)

Or someone who can't afford one.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
looney said:
Theres a small bit in the telegraph by Simon Heffer slagging of the stadium. Then again Simon Heffer has always been the main dickhead at the mail and we should abduct him and turn him over to LI and his cudgel weilding cronies for a good pummelling.

I will be e-mailing the Telegraph and complaining about his apointment, that clown lowers the f***ing tone and can f*** off back to the mail.:angry:

I'm still struggling to understand how one person can lower the tone of either the Daily Nazi or the Torygraph? Both are lower than a snakes chuffer.

Dandyman

In London village.
This the text which says more about the ignorance and bigotry of the twat that wrote it than I ever could:

"
Simon Heffer on Saturday

Prescott has a problem with natural beauty

There are certain eternal truths about Labour that simply won't go away. One is that the party loves, or pretends to love, the ghastly game of football, because it thinks it gives it street credibility with the electorate. Another is that John Prescott radiates a bigotry towards the South of England in general, and towards the Home Counties in particular, that, if it were directed at the ethnic minorities, would probably land him in front of a court.

These two unlovely forces have now converged, with Mr Prescott giving permission for a new stadium to be built for Brighton and Hove Albion in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Despite his notional responsibility for the environment, Mr Prescott seems actively to loathe it - hence his bizarre decision to bulldoze thousands of perfectly good inner-city terrace houses. Now, in one bound, he is ruining a beautiful landscape and allowing a new playground for our yobbos.

Wasn't Labour's theme tune once Things can Only get Better? "

:tosser:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Dandyman said:
This the text which says more about the ignorance and bigotry of the twat that wrote it than I ever could:

"
Simon Heffer on Saturday

Prescott has a problem with natural beauty

There are certain eternal truths about Labour that simply won't go away. One is that the party loves, or pretends to love, the ghastly game of football, because it thinks it gives it street credibility with the electorate. Another is that John Prescott radiates a bigotry towards the South of England in general, and towards the Home Counties in particular, that, if it were directed at the ethnic minorities, would probably land him in front of a court.

These two unlovely forces have now converged, with Mr Prescott giving permission for a new stadium to be built for Brighton and Hove Albion in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Despite his notional responsibility for the environment, Mr Prescott seems actively to loathe it - hence his bizarre decision to bulldoze thousands of perfectly good inner-city terrace houses. Now, in one bound, he is ruining a beautiful landscape and allowing a new playground for our yobbos.

Wasn't Labour's theme tune once Things can Only get Better? "

:tosser:

And these tossers wonder why we despise the green wellies brigade-they haven't a f***ing clue about life in the real world. Their world revolves around what the f***ing Torygraph tells them and the Daily Nazi is there for their inbred wives to learn about the latest shade of blue that's fashionable for their Maggie Thatcher hairstyles whilst learning acceptable terms to insult foreigners without getting prosecuted.

It's this type of twat that thinks the laws of this country are only in place to control us yobbos while he and his foxhunting friends are exempt from abiding with the laws of the land.

What a toal C**T.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Even if John Prescott single handedly rescued 30 disabled and disadvantaged children from a blazing building Simon Heffer would still criticise him for not wiping his shoes on the door mat first. The guy is not a serious commentator and the paper his articles are written are useful only in the smallest room when there's a serious bum wad shortage.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is letter I sent to the paper

I take great exception to the article by Simon Heffer on Saturday in regard to the granting of permission of the Stadium for Brighton at Falmer.

The campaign, led by the directors/supporters of Brighton And Hove Albion, to once again have a home, has been the most exhaustive known to the sport and perhaps any sport in this country. The whole process has been examined time and time again. The public enquires have given time to the opposing sides to give their arguments and eventually common sense has prevailed.

No one site examined within the boundaries of Brighton (as per FA rules) are completely suitable. Therefore, the best achievable was Falmer of that no one can now argue.

Perhaps one could question as to the suitability of Brighton having a stadium at all. This would be a politically posed question that those opposed to the national game would be only to happy to raise. The fact is however, and this is my understanding the majority still rule in this fine country of ours, the people of Brighton voted for a stadium in a referendum. With such a dictate the local government then backed the majority, as should be the case.

A reason for exclusion of the Falmer site has been its tag of an area of outstanding natural beauty. This is a landscape dominated by two universities and associated buildings and a dual carriageway (A27) which cuts through the centre of the idyllic, quiet and quaint backwater known as Falmer. It like trying to compare Green Park with The Lake District. People have to be realistic. Falmer is not a tranquil village nestled into the downlands. It is no more than a part of The City of Brighton and Hove. The term of AONB is far to easily placed on areas that are quiet simply not very beautiful. The exact area the stadium is to be built is a field close to existing university buildings and will not, due to the design be particularly noticeable.

On a personnel front, as a labour voting, inner-city, state scrounging, uneducated yob I'm looking forwards in my limited intelligence to my new playground. Or should i repeat myself as a Tory voting, land owning, business running, highly educated respectable person I can not wait! Bring on the day when I can sit in a state of the art stadium following my beloved Albion.

G Burberry - East Sussex

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
OK you scum sucking commies is it the Telegraph you object to or free speech?

Oh please O wise ones tell me an organ that critisises your veiws and you are willing to show tolerance to?

Heh,

Told you Heffer had shit between his ears.

FAO Piltdown man.

Got the e-mail addy for the Telegraph, I want to register my complaint about the falmer article in General and Heffer in Particular. I'll post it as well.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
looney said:
OK you scum sucking commies is it the Telegraph you object to or free speech?

Oh please O wise ones tell me an organ that critisises your veiws and you are willing to show tolerance to?

Heh,

Told you Heffer had shit between his ears.

FAO Piltdown man.

Got the e-mail addy for the Telegraph, I want to register my complaint about the falmer article in General and Heffer in Particular. I'll post it as well.

dtletter@ telegraph.co.uk

ok go 4 it

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Jim in the West said:
To be fair to the Telegraph (and I'm not sure why I should be), there's another article (at least in the on-line edition) from Mike Ward - obviously very positive:

Seagulls are flying high after stadium decision
By Mike Ward

To suggest that Brighton and Hove Albion have been waiting rather a long time for their new stadium would be an understatement of almost Prescott-like proportions.

When Brighton last had a home they could call their own, the Conservatives still held power, the Spice Girls dominated the charts and mention of an iPod would have brought you stares of bewilderment.

So, yes, it's been quite a struggle, brought to a happy conclusion yesterday when Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, with whom the fiercely contested decision had come to rest, announced that the 23,000 stadium at nearby Falmer, an East Sussex village, could go ahead. The plan now is to have it ready for the 2008-09 season.

"I feel very emotional that it's finally happened," commented chief executive Martin Perry, the driving force behind the Seagulls' campaign. His sentiments were echoed by the tireless Paul Samrah, chairman of the Falmer For All campaign. "So many people have worked so hard for this," he said.

Brighton played their last match at the Goldstone Ground in April 1997, the previous board having controversially sold the land to developers for a retail park.

For the next two years, "home" fixtures meant a 150-mile journey to Gillingham and back. For the remainder, they've meant sitting in the appallingly inadequate Withdean Stadium, a predominantly roof-less, council-owned athletics ground.

Rendered just about usable thanks to temporary seating, Withdean holds a mere 6,973 spectators, upon whom the gods have conspired to unleash a torrent of rain at 3pm almost every alternate Saturday since August 1999. It used to be a zoo.

Humour played a key role throughout Brighton's stadium campaign, their supporters obliged to become increasingly inventive as a public inquiry dragged on and the club's meagre funds dwindled.

Objectors were continuing to point out that the proposed site lay in an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'. In response, campaigners published gently mocking postcards of the land in question, suggesting that this designation had become somewhat outdated since it came to accommodate the A27 dual carriageway and the less than aesthetically pleasing headquarters of Southern Water.

The obligatory dull stuff had already been taken care of - winning a referendum, securing approval from local planners, collecting a 61,452-signature petition.

High-profile supporters Des Lynam and Norman Cook had helped deliver stacks of pro-stadium letters to Downing Street. Messrs Wenger, Eriksson and Beckham (who had made his first-team debut at the Goldstone) were among countless leading figures who voiced their support.

With a decision still no nearer, maintaining the campaign's profile would clearly require even further lateral thinking. So Brighton fans sent Mr Prescott a giant Valentine's card. They arranged for him to receive a bouquet from every club in the League. They staged a photographic stunt which involved drenching Lynam with buckets of water, replicating the I've-Just-Spent-90-Minutes-In-The-South-Stand look.

They even made the Top 20, punk poet Attila The Stockbroker's single Tom Hark (We Want Falmer) reaching No 17 in the singles chart in January.

Even Mr Prescott himself, while remaining tight-lipped about his verdict until the bitter end, remarked several times upon the fans' "good mannered" campaign.

When an inspector's interim report last year recommended refusal, it looked as though all their efforts had been in vain, but Mr Prescott insisted the public inquiry be re-opened for further evidence.

To be fair this article was printed in full in the same edition of The Telegraph on Saturday last. As the media might say, "balanced reporting?"

Re: Re: NIMBY sympathising in the Daily Telegraph

Lord Bracknell said:
Is this her best side?

gutted.thumb.jpg

Eeek! :eek: I still have recuring nightmares after she really DID scream at me at a fans forum after taking offense at a Fanzine article I once wrote on Falmer. Well, we've now got our staduim, so her and hubby can poke their gingerbread men and fairy cakes where the sun doesn't shine! :salute: :p :falmer:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here