Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Remember....Lyndon Club Waterloo Street (Sid Minters Place), also a Small little club in Oriental Place (Cant remember the name) down some stairs.
A afternoon drinking club in Brunswick Road and one in Regency Square. Also a little nightclub in the Top eastern corner of Regency Sq.(Had a pool table in it)
Does anyone recall when Bentleys(top of west street) was a burger restuarant? Called Yates I think. The club under the kebab house in Western Road was called the Casbah. The Bonsoir I think became Montys then Champagnes. The club under the Queens Hotel in Eastbourne...what was that called?
The club just outside Chichester? And many visits to Stroods Motel and my mate had the warehouse club in meeting house lane.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Wow just noticed this thread. Mid-70's for me
William 1V
Posada
Hennekeys
Queen Anne
Bosun( if we were slumming it)
Pickwick or Revolution if we hadn't pulled by then

D

Deleted User X18H

In the 60's there was a nightclub under what became the Ladbrokes just along from Hove Library in Church Road. Went down there once to use the staff loo's (long story) had dinosaurs and stuff painted on the walls. Anyone remember the night club? Ok Lord B do you remember the nightclub?

D

Deleted User X18H

The Savannah Old Steine. Not forgetting Night Fever Ship Street is it still going?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
some cracking memories on here,west street and surrounds used to cater for so many different tastes,i remember frequenting sister rays for quite a while even though non of us were goth,i think it had got to the stage it was the only place left that would let us in.....apart from the junction.....but the less said about evenings in there the better

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
In the 60's there was a nightclub under what became the Ladbrokes just along from Hove Library in Church Road. Went down there once to use the staff loo's (long story) had dinosaurs and stuff painted on the walls. Anyone remember the night club? Ok Lord B do you remember the nightclub?

Not the sixty's Tim. Never heard of it, any way how old were you then? The Scandinavia was the Coffee bar of choice in those days. In the basement, Church Road, between the bottom of Cambridge Road and Brunswick Place.

D

Deleted User X18H

Not the sixty's Tim. Never heard of it, any way how old were you then? The Scandinavia was the Coffee bar of choice in those days. In the basement, Church Road, between the bottom of Cambridge Road and Brunswick Place.
0 until 1969. The manager of the shop told me. It was proper weird just a big basement room full betting slips and old ads for Cheltenham etc. But with all these physhedlic shapes on the wall dinosaurs and UFO's etc . Kebab shop now I think.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Yes, that was Heneckys. Massive pub, a bit like the King and Queen.

Reading this thread has brought back some memories.

I remember going to Hennekys with my new boyfriend and his parents. There was a coal-effect gas fire in the large fireplace, and father-in-law to be kept flicking his fag ash into it because it was so realistic.

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Before we went to Sherrys we used to go to a bar/club called The In Place. They used to play good soul/funk music there but I cannot for the life of me remember where it was now. This was about 79 ish.
Anyone remember ?

Wasn't that in First Avenue? Or was that one just called The Place?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
No, wasn't Revolution and Toppers next to each other in East street (above old ABC Cinema i think..!)

The revelution was DEF in the kingsweat complex along with jenkinsons, the Suite and 3 cinema's, that was the origional line up when it was opened in the 70's.

How long it stayed as the Rev i don't know and I don't doubt that there was probably a leter one in East Street, which had the Pickwick.

Kingswest (or The Suite) opened in the mid-60s and before the 3 cinemas, there was an enormous ice-rink. We used to go there every Wednesday. In 1972, I occasionally worked at The Orange Timepiece, which was the disco on the seafront side of Kingswest. It was always empty so I mostly stayed working at The Suite as a cloakroom attendant!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
All this was before my time.

But at what point did 'discotheques' become 'night clubs'?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-14 at 01.18.02.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-14 at 01.18.02.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 751

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Remember....Lyndon Club Waterloo Street (Sid Minters Place), also a Small little club in Oriental Place (Cant remember the name) down some stairs.
A afternoon drinking club in Brunswick Road and one in Regency Square. Also a little nightclub in the Top eastern corner of Regency Sq.(Had a pool table in it)
Does anyone recall when Bentleys(top of west street) was a burger restuarant? Called Yates I think. The club under the kebab house in Western Road was called the Casbah. The Bonsoir I think became Montys then Champagnes. The club under the Queens Hotel in Eastbourne...what was that called?
The club just outside Chichester? And many visits to Stroods Motel and my mate had the warehouse club in meeting house lane.

I used the Lyndon Club every Friday afternoon / early evening in the mid 70s, used to meet my brother in there after work, always the same people in there, many times saw Sid's son in there and had a chat with him, for some reason Large G&Ts were always the order of the day and we all used to spoof for the rounds, great memorys.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Did anyone ever venture out a bit further - we were all living in Peacehaven at the time and used to go to Down Town Saturdays in Hastings or the club on Eastbourne Pier.
The club on eastbourne pier was called dixielands, then showbar and finally then the roxy, also a club in eastbourne called ziggys, there was always an old boy of about 50 wandering about ziggys smoking a cigar, the rumour was that his daughter died in a car crash on the way home from there and it sent him mental , and that he was always in there "looking " for her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here