Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Farage MEP v Russell Brand - Question Time BBC1 22:35 *** Official Match Thread ***

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thought they were all as bad as each other last night just trying to score Brownie points .... Mind you Brand has a really irritating voice almost like he is wearing tight rubber underpants and he was probably the worst on amongst them

Surely you, and the person you were quoting, can can offer more than that?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Here's that bit again. "The audience has to be hand-picked for Question Time: the BBC is scrupulous about it being balanced. If they just let people apply randomly, then it could be too heavily left or right leaning"

I don't think you understand what balance means. It means that the audience is drawn equally from all sides of the political spectrum, it doesn't mean that everyone speaks or shouts at the same volume.

most people don't think farage is far wrong on immigration yet by the audiences reaction it would suggest otherwise.
I am only saying the obvious and that is that the vast majority in that audience were left wingers and I do not feel that that is a fair representative of the country in whole. no matter how the bbc want to dress it up the audience is rigged so as to suit its own bbc agenda.
deny it all you like there is no way that that audience just like all the other previous audiences on question time are drawn equally from all sides of the political spectrum. absolutely no way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
most people don't think farage is far wrong on immigration yet by the audiences reaction it would suggest otherwise.
I am only saying the obvious and that is that the vast majority in that audience were left wingers and I do not feel that that is a fair representative of the country in whole. no matter how the bbc want to dress it up the audience is rigged so as to suit its own bbc agenda.
deny it all you like there is no way that that audience just like all the other previous audiences on question time are drawn equally from all sides of the political spectrum. absolutely no way.

Utter rubbish. The one I went to was clearly balanced and I chatted to many of the audience members before hand and it was a very even split between parties.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Predictable.

The Left "Communism has never worked, because it has never been accomplished"

To which the right says "How about East Germany, Soviet Union, Maoist China and so on"

To which the left says "That wasn't communism, that was despot dictators exploiting communist ideologies for personal gain"

... I could go on for pages... this discussion has occurred so many times, I know exactly how it goes. I don't personally support communism, but it is ignorant to dismiss it completely as a concept.

So it never has been successful because it has never been implemented ?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Utter rubbish. The one I went to was clearly balanced and I chatted to many of the audience members before hand and it was a very even split between parties.

I couldn't care less about what audience members had to say before hand I care most when people like farage are having a hard time of it when c*nts like russell brand almost get a standing ovation every time they speak.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is a very important point. So often on here, and in the wider world including the house of commons, people just resort to name calling, copy and paste quotations, petty arguments and soundbites trying to get an upper hand to have the appearance of being correct.

In reality with considered debates no one is right or wrong. What needs to happen is that everyone's opinion treated with equal weight.

Sadly I can't see that happening.

A sort of communism of ideas, trouble is communism doesn't work :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Has capitalism ever worked?

If so what have you based that conclusion on, and over what time frame?

yes, based on the rise of industry and transformation of countries out of agrarian servitude and absolute poverty, since latter half of 18th century.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Note you failed to answer the question posed.

if because you have spoken a few words with a producer counts for something then dream on, if you have applied for a show that I didn't apply for then continue to dream on.

sorry fella you wont be shifting my view this side of xmas.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Calm down dear, or you might bite your own tongue! Hope you enjoyed doing your cut and paste research but I'm cooking dinner just now so I really can't be bothered to look at it all. What I am still trying to say is that Mr Farage is a fraud of the highest order and is no different than the other parties except that for him, UKIP is a business. That's not prejudice, just the facts.

And, by the look of things you seem to know a lot more about bigotry than me.

Don't worry love I am quite composed.

You are hardly putting up much in the way of cerebral challenge at the moment, I hate to break it to you but just because you write down your thoughts in a post doesn't make them "facts".

Anyway, we know you don't like UKIP or Farage, for the record I am no fan either..........but I dislike the EU more, with their unaccountable ways and irresponsible capitalism.

I know that of the 2 in the last 10 years it's the EU that represents the greater threat to democracy and has caused the greatest damage to the interests of the British working class...........and that is a FACT.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Indeed,

i have applied before and the process seems fairly rigorous to ensure some sort of balance.

There is a tendency to believe when watching on the TV the audience has been loaded with left wingers but this is just more down the fact they tend to be more vocal,shouty and confrontational,its just their style of debating.

This style of getting your political message heard whether in a studio or a demo was expertly displayed by the blue haired lady last night.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Indeed,

i have applied before and the process seems fairly rigorous to ensure some sort of balance.

There is a tendency to believe when watching on the TV the audience has been loaded with left wingers but this is just more down the fact they tend to be more vocal,shouty and confrontational,its just their style of debating.

This style of getting your political message heard whether in a studio or a demo was expertly displayed by the blue haired lady last night.

so you are saying whilst the vile ugly loon with the coloured hair was polluting the atmosphere with her enormous vile trap all of the right wingers at that particular time had all gone to sleep apart from one loan disabled fella. yeh righto. just like the time someone got up and aired his views about immigrants which didn't go down to well amongst the rest of the audience who were all heckling the poor lad which consequently led to him upping and leaving the studio for good before being further humiliated for his troubles.

I fail to see what you and this westdene fella have to gain from this to be honest, I presumed you both to be slightly right in which case I'd expect a completely different opinion...an opinion shared by most right wingers.. in-fact almost 100% tbh..an opinion which is true and not full of left wing bias.
i guess the pair of you aint joking either. never mind.:nono:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
so you are saying whilst the vile ugly loon with the coloured hair was polluting the atmosphere with her enormous vile trap all of the right wingers at that particular time had all gone to sleep apart from one loan disabled fella. yeh righto. just like the time someone got up and aired his views about immigrants which didn't go down to well amongst the rest of the audience who were all heckling the poor lad which consequently led to him upping and leaving the studio for good before being further humiliated for his troubles.

I fail to see what you and this westdene fella have to gain from this to be honest, I presumed you both to be slightly right in which case I'd expect a completely different opinion...an opinion shared by most right wingers.. in-fact almost 100% tbh..an opinion which is true and not full of left wing bias.
i guess the pair of you aint joking either. never mind.:nono:

That is not what i am saying at all,please read my original post,i was simply describing different styles of debating,sitting attentively listening to all sides put their point across and not screaming like the blue haired mad woman is not the same as going to sleep by any means.

I do not know about westdene but yes i would say i am right wing in the political spectrum,you should not automatically however expect "an opinion" because of that.That is one of the major problems we have in this country with politics,the expectation the way you are supposed to think because you lean either to the left or right.

I have opinions on other matters people would class as liberal. I just gave an opinion that i dont believe the question time audience is biased towards left wingers,it only appears that way for the reasons i gave.For what its worth i feel some of its political reporting often contains obvious left wing bias .The BBC however is my first place of reference on any major global issues,their reporting on these matters far outstrips anything you get from any other English Language news broadcaster.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
we have a similar show to QT here is Australia and they start the show with a breakdown of the political allegiances of the audience. Maybe QT could consider something similar to allay the fears of the conspiracy theorists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here