Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Tory Party conference this autumn is going to be fun.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Tories have been in power for 14 years, if they wanted to move to a USA model they could have.

No one except a handful of people is pushing for the USA model.
Easier to achieve if you run the NHS into the ground first. It isn't the handful of people that think it's a good idea that is the problem, it's the mass that will vote any way a donor wants them to, and what their donors want.
35 or so Private health or social care companies are Tory party donors, they expect a return on their investment.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm hoping the Mail and senior Tories rounding on Farage over his support for Putin will deter some of the thickos for voting for Reform, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easier to achieve if you run the NHS into the ground first. It isn't the handful of people that think it's a good idea that is the problem, it's the mass that will vote any way a donor wants them to, and what their donors want.
35 or so Private health or social care companies are Tory party donors, they expect a return on their investment.
So how are they going to do it now they are not in power?

Tories wouldn't dare do it to the level we see in the USA,the uproar would see them out of power for years.

They are too scared to even mention any sort of reform to it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reckon the love for Russia will backfire on Farage. it's not really a thing out there is it? being pro Russia is a bit niche, for many still mixed up with being commies, unlikely to help wavering, older Conservative switch to Reform.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
reckon the love for Russia will backfire on Farage. it's not really a thing out there is it? being pro Russia is a bit niche, for many still mixed up with being commies, unlikely to help wavering, older Conservative switch to Reform.
Yep. For all the divisions and culture wars and “wedge issues” we’ve seen over the last decade or so, the narrative of “Russia / Putin are the bad guys” has stuck across the political spectrum in the UK. This is why, for example, there is no question, as there is in the US or France, that a change of Government in a few weeks time would not make any difference to the UK’s commitment to Ukraine.

The only real exceptions to holding this narrative have been the hard left (Stop The War, George Galloway and the like), who see Putin as a bulwark against the “true” enemy of US imperialism, and the hard right (Farage and his mates) who see Putin as a strongman railing against their bogeymen like LGBTQ+ and the EU.

Fortunately, I believe most people are firmly in “Putin’s a twat” camp and will baulk at this turn of events.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Fortunately, I believe most people are firmly in “Putin’s a twat” camp and will baulk at this turn of events.
I hope you’re right. Sadly, a “friend” of mine was at the Tintagel Reform event in the Twitter thread you posted. This is the “friend“ whose step-son is standing for Labour in Camborne and Redruth.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Tories wouldn't dare do it to the level we see in the USA,the uproar would see them out of power for years.

They have been doing it bit by bit, they can't do it out of power, you are right, which is a major reason they need to be removed from power.
They are too scared to say it out loud, it's what they do that gives the game away, and who they accept money from.
Frank Hester donated £15M to the Tories, his company got £135M of contracts from the Department of Health.
Other donors include medical staff agencies, agency staff cost the NHS about £5Bn a year now, it has gone up consistently year on year under Tories.
Other NHS services are contracted out to companies with links to the Tories
Labour may well be influenced by their donors too, we will have to wait and see, but they seem to have less problematic donors for the most part.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You must have closed ears. They have mentioned it many times.
Follow the money.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You must have closed ears. They have mentioned it many times.
Follow the money.

Yet here we are with the same system of health care

They have been doing it bit by bit, they can't do it out of power, you are right, which is a major reason they need to be removed from power.
They are too scared to say it out loud, it's what they do that gives the game away, and who they accept money from.
Frank Hester donated £15M to the Tories, his company got £135M of contracts from the Department of Health.
Other donors include medical staff agencies, agency staff cost the NHS about £5Bn a year now, it has gone up consistently year on year under Tories.
Other NHS services are contracted out to companies with links to the Tories
Labour may well be influenced by their donors too, we will have to wait and see, but they seem to have less problematic donors for the most part.

Those contracts are not privatising how the NHS works, free on the point of treatment/not insurance based.

Which was the original photo I was replying to

Tories have had 14 years to bring this in (plus previous long periods of power) and have had an 80 seat majority for a period of time, if they truly wanted to go down the US model, we would be doing it now.

Labour in this run up have made more noises about much needed reform in the NHS than the Tories, Labour are best set to do so as they will have less people screaming about us following a US model if it's in their hands

Shit deals like you mention is the reason the NHS shouldn't be anywhere near politicians hands.

How much was wasted here on IT and NHS (I'm not suggesting they were dodgy deals) there is no cross party/long term thinking.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yet here we are with the same system of health care

Those contracts are not privatising how the NHS works, free on the point of treatment/not insurance based.

Which was the original photo I was replying to

Tories have had 14 years to bring this in (plus previous long periods of power) and have had an 80 seat majority for a period of time, if they truly wanted to go down the US model, we would be doing it now.

Labour in this run up have made more noises about much needed reform in the NHS than the Tories, Labour are best set to do so as they will have less people screaming about us following a US model if it's in their hands

Shit deals like you mention is the reason the NHS shouldn't be anywhere near politicians hands.

How much was wasted here on IT and NHS (I'm not suggesting they were dodgy deals) there is no cross party/long term thinking.
There’s none so blind as those who don’t want to see.

In 1997, a district nurse came to my house every day to change my dressing. She arrived the day Labour won, and said how relieved she was because the NHS could be saved.
I‘m not exactly enamoured of the PFIs Tony Blair introduced either.

As I have explained previously, devious politicians don’t change things quickly. Step by step, such as telling GP practises, they can only employ Physician Associates instead of qualified GPs, or have their funding withheld does not sit right with me.
I’m under various departments at the hospital, and now feel I’m going to have to question every medical person as to their qualifications.

Remember, the Tories only favour something if it profits them. Follow the money.

Nicks

I'm hoping the Mail and senior Tories rounding on Farage over his support for Putin will deter some of the thickos for voting for Reform, but I'm not holding out much hope.
That's a bit out of order calling people thicko's.
It's anyones right to vote for whoever they want too. Because you don't agree with their choice of vote gives you no right to call them thick.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That's a bit out of order calling people thicko's.
It's anyones right to vote for whoever they want too. Because you don't agree with their choice of vote gives you no right to call them thick.

Well maybe they (or you, if you feel that strongly) could explain one of Reform's policies which has been thought through, is implementable and shows some level of intelligence sufficient to justify someone voting for them.

That would show @kevo, wouldn't it ???

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Of course the NHS requires reform, that is one thing that sensible, realistic voices from both Labour and the Tories agree on. Wes Streeting and Sir Keir have been banging on about this for some time. The fact that politicians of all parties have been too scared for too long to do anything about it is because the NHS has been worshipped as the holy grail and the BMA is the most powerful trade union in the country.
Wes has vowed to take on ‘vested interests’ to reform the NHS. I wish him luck, he will need it.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well maybe they (or you, if you feel that strongly) could explain one of Reform's policies which has been thought through, is implementable and shows some level of intelligence sufficient to justify someone voting for them.

That would show @kevo, wouldn't it ???

“We’re surrounded by foreigners - Why do you think everyone is moving to Clacton?” 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here