Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
An intelligent and well-educated man thinking that bacon comes from cows means we're even more alarmingly divorced from our understanding of food than I thought :)
Lurpak. Danish butter.

(I've just been whooshed, haven't I :facepalm: )

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Oh yeah, I'm sure Putin is a great guy.

Y'know, provided you stay on his good side and / or don't have anything (sovereign land, for instance) he believes to be his which he then decides to take by wielding various avenues of attack both overt and secretive.

Odious party. And they'll get votes.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Lurpak. Danish butter.

Not really HWT. I just thought I would sneak that in to see if anyone noticed.

I didn't really think that far ahead to have a plan on what to do if it was raised as a query - I thought I could overcome any problem in Lurpak not being English, by winging it, should the situation arise. A bit like the Reform party manifesto.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Surely the whole point of leaving the ECHR to replace with a consititution for British Citizens, would mean previous protections afforded to illegal migrants and asylum seekers, would be somewhat constrained?

Otherwise why are Farage and Reform wanting to replace ECHR in the UK?
If they replaced it at all, they could exclude or reduce the right to a family life, for all of us, which seems to be one of the main arguments against deportation. They may remove or reduce the right to not suffer persecution due to political or religious belief or sexuality, another defence against deportation. Or the right to life, which would allow deportations and extradition where someone may face the death penalty, or pave the way for a return of the death penalty here.

Or they may not afford the same level of human rights to a foreign born citizen.
Both are worrying, but more so that a foreign born citizen is considered to have less human rights than a British born citizen.

Or, the least worrying, but still would be a reduction in your and my rights, would be to accept all the ECHR principles, and keep them in UK law, but by not being a signatory, not be subject to the precedents of the ECtHR or have it over rule a decision made in a UK Court, or give people access to a legal process where the UK has denied it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Lurpak. Danish butter.

Not really HWT. I just thought I would sneak that in to see if anyone noticed.

I didn't really think that far ahead to have a plan on what to do if it was raised as a query - I thought I could overcome any problem in Lurpak not being English, by winging it, should the situation arise. A bit like the Reform party manifesto.
Ha! I hadn't even noticed the 'Lurpak'. I focused on the 'Danepak Bacon'!!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Now - I don't know what to think about this. Obviously don't want Reform to do well - but if their vote is going to drop, it just means the Tory vote goes up - making it less likely that they will be third seatswise. What a conundrum

to put it another way, if the tactical vote site says vote Reform to keep out the Tory, do you follow that? :ohmy:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
to put it another way, if the tactical vote site says vote Reform to keep out the Tory, do you follow that? :ohmy:
Or if you're a traditional one nation tory, do you vote Labour to try and keep Reform out as Labour would be far closer to your views than Reform or Rishi :laugh:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Now - I don't know what to think about this. Obviously don't want Reform to do well - but if their vote is going to drop, it just means the Tory vote goes up - making it less likely that they will be third seatswise. What a conundrum

This is an interesting, but also a confusing, development.

The figures suggest that the fall in the Reform vote is being picked up across all three of Lab, Con and LibDems. By becoming vocal on Ukraine, did Farage get it wrong? Did he misread the room, like a Russian?

It will be interesting to see what he says next. Will there be damage limitation? More doubling down?

My money is on deflection. I suspect he will talk about something else.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
fictional breakfast
Alison Brie What GIF

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Which should tell you why voting for reform is stupid and I’m being polite.
If I were to vote for Reform it would be as a protest vote, not as support for Farage. The differences between the other parties are only playing round the edges - essentially they're all supporters of tax and spend and tax some more. They bleed the productive sector of the economy dry, and then say they want to go for growth. The shut down the oil industry and import oil instead and claim they are doing good for the environment. It's universal.

No way is Farage going to win, but if he gets votes it might make the other parties (well, the Conservatives at least) realise that being Conservative would be a good way to get Conservative votes. Their entire election campaign is "we're bad but Labour would be worse" and Labour's is "the Tories are bad and we couldn't be worse". Liberal election campaign is "watch me go down this zipwire into the pool" and SNP's is "we hate the English".

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Or if you're a traditional one nation tory, do you vote Labour to try and keep Reform out as Labour would be far closer to your views than Reform or Rishi :laugh:
would make sense, beyond the rosettes, Starmer is closer to traditional one nation view than current Conservatives, let alone Reform.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Usually the court is abbreviated to ECtHR, to avoid confusion.
Not when I was studying European Law at degree level.:wink: The Court itself refers to itself as the ECHR on judgments etc. It is usually clear from context if someone is referring to the Commission, the Convention or the Court but otherwise yes, the ‘t’ is added or it is written out in full.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
No way is Farage going to win, but if he gets votes it might make the other parties (well, the Conservatives at least) realise that being Conservative would be a good way to get Conservative votes. Their entire election campaign is "we're bad but Labour would be worse" and Labour's is "the Tories are bad and we couldn't be worse". Liberal election campaign is "watch me go down this zipwire into the pool" and SNP's is "we hate the English".
tbf a good summary of party positions. with important addition: Reform are offering a buffet of pub talk solutions that dont add up together, costing a lot more than they claim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here