Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins, and managerial job security, in general.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"I ain't gonna talk about uvver people's jobs, cos it's Nigel's job an' 'e's a triffic manager, I wouldn't do that, but Saints are a triffic club, for sure, and not far from where I live, and nobody can say what will 'appen. It'd be my last job in football, for sure".
You've found a talent there Edna.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
He deserves his chance. Despite the fact that we had our season of rivalry I cannot but help like both Saints and Adkins. He even took our stick, chants and banners in good nature, got lots of respect for the bloke. I do believe that he can keep them up too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think he has got to be asked questions despite his previous successes but that depends on whether it was him or not that sanctioned the transfer activity that they have done- they have spent a lot of money buying players for the wrong places and not strengthening their defence.

If we got promoted and Poyet spunked our whole budget on a right back, a midfielder striker then I'd certainly raise my eyebrows. What the hell happened to buliding from the back!?

Once again, he didn't.

They strengthened in all areas: Keeper (Gazzanigga), Full back (Clyne), Centre Back (Yoshida), Midfield (Ramirez) and striker (Rodriguez).
the issue is whether the players he picked are actually good enough!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Once again, he didn't.

They strengthened in all areas: Keeper (Gazzanigga), Full back (Clyne), Centre Back (Yoshida), Midfield (Ramirez) and striker (Rodriguez).
the issue is whether the players he picked are actually good enough!

Still the point stands the money could have been distributed better to buy a few more players to cover in defence, rather than all the money on Rodriguez- they do not have a defence up to Premiership standards and that's pretty plain for everyone to see.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice. Then once he's in, his first signing can be Robbie Keane. Can we have the quote from his press conference please, Edna...

Which one? Harry's "Robbie's a top, top TOP, player..." or Keane's "I've always been a fan of the Saints since zzzzzzzzzz"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
What's more worrying than anything from their perspective is Adkins seems to be in denial about how good some of his players are. So far they have shown an astonishing level of inteptitude at the back but he still seems to think that the players are good enough (pretty sure he said as much in interview the other day). Getting a very good Championship squad from League 1 to the Premiership is a decent effort, but pushing on from there is the real challenge. Of course he deserves a chance, but sadly for him, that doesn't mean a lot these days.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
One of the things that came out of the 'rivalry' two years ago is that the Echo is a ridiculous and sensationalist paper. Adkins won't keep them up though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One of the things that came out of the 'rivalry' two years ago is that the Echo is a ridiculous and sensationalist paper

Not like the Argus then :wink:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
His poor decisons this season are costing Saints though.

The ironic thing is I think if they had kept Pardew they would still have won back to back promotions and they would be in a much better position now. Pardew is a very good manager, Adkins is not.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
To be fair to Adkins alot of Saints fans up here seem to think that Cortese decides who plays. Apparently Adkins gave him list of 12 players he wanted in the summer including 2 centre backs and none of the players that were signed had anything to do with Adkins but were Cortese signings and none of Adkins targets were signed. I think there is a bit of trouble ahead for Saints if Cortese is hands on!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Actually think Adkins has been exceptionally fortunate at Southampton. Last season Lambert was outstanding and they were the closest thing to a one man team I have seen for a long time - look at how clueless they were against us when he got sent off. Even this year a lot of their good moments come from him.

They got away with this last season - but aren't good enough to do so in the prem and Adkins is not a good enough manager to change their style to deal with it. They may want to be a passing team but the brutal truth remains their best chance to score is the cross field hoof.

I for one think they do need a change of manager.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we lost our next three games, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Adkins could be our next manager!!!!......ok ok, i'm joking. But if we did lose our next three games, Poyet will certainly be under big pressure for the first time in his short managerial career. How will he react???....Going on past evidence, there will be toys being thrown everywhere, we will see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here