Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins, and managerial job security, in general.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is the back cover of today's Southampton Daily Echo.

Now, I think of Adkins as a smug cock, as much as anybody, but can't help but feel that this is a ridiculous situation. Yes, he inherited a good team, who were hugely underachieving, and yes he was well backed financially, but the simple fact is that he DID lead them to back-to-back promotions - still a huge achievement.

For a manager with those massive successes under his belt, to be seriously under threat just EIGHT matches into the very next season is surely crazy.

On other threads here today, people are stating that Dougie Freedman would be mad to leave Palace where he is loved and secure, to take Bolton's money. The fact is, there is no loyalty to managers, and Palace fans were calling for his head a month ago. I wouldn't blame him at all if he goes.

Attachments

• IMG00700-20121022-0900.jpg
    IMG00700-20121022-0900.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 336

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ridiculous. Much as it'd be funny to see his reaction to being sacked ("We'll look at the situation, learn from it, then move on to the next job"), it's ludicrous to see the local rag putting that out. I'd expect it from a bunch of hatstands on messageboards, but not the local paper.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
There's so much financial pressure to do well in football these days that if he chairman/board thinks they might not make it to where they need to be they panic and sack the manager

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of his immaculate record of finishing second, Adkins was one of the bookies' favourites to be fired this season, however Southampton got on. There were loads of rumours pre-season that their board wanted a big name, and wouldn't need much of an excuse to lose Adkins and bring someone else in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can you imagine the reaction on here if Naylor had written a similar article and screaming back page headline in those circumstances?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Ridiculous. Much as it'd be funny to see his reaction to being sacked ("We'll look at the situation, learn from it, then move on to the next job"), it's ludicrous to see the local rag putting that out. I'd expect it from a bunch of hatstands on messageboards, but not the local paper.

Nice mock quote Edna. That's exactly what he'd say. "take the positives, draw a line under this one.."

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of course, with Adkins' record, even when he's fired, he won't be out of a job for long. OK, so he's always the bridesmaid, but there are plenty of club chairmen who'd chew off their own arm for their team to finish second.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Question. If Gus jumped ship and Adkins was on the market would any of us lot want him in charge of us? Unlikely turn of events i know. He is a smarmy so and so etc etc but his record is pretty impressive. Just needs to remember to buy a few decent defenders.

Well, we took Hammond back...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whats harry up to these days :jester:

"I ain't gonna talk about uvver people's jobs, cos it's Nigel's job an' 'e's a triffic manager, I wouldn't do that, but Saints are a triffic club, for sure, and not far from where I live, and nobody can say what will 'appen. It'd be my last job in football, for sure".

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Whats harry up to these days :jester:

Pretty much the first thing I thought. Certainly wouldn't be the worst place to come back...failing that, McCarthy or Hoddle...

Anyway, slightly more on topic, it's ridiculous that already his position is being questioned, if the team are behind him (which they appear to be) then would be foolish to get rid, even if they go down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"I ain't gonna talk about uvver people's jobs, cos it's Nigel's job an' 'e's a triffic manager, I wouldn't do that, but Saints are a triffic club, for sure, and not far from where I live, and nobody can say what will 'appen. It'd be my last job in football, for sure".

Nice. Then once he's in, his first signing can be Robbie Keane. Can we have the quote from his press conference please, Edna...

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This is ridiculous. I think Adkins is a good manager, who plays brave attacking football and is doing his best with a team that, on paper or otherwise, is the poorest in the league. I fully expected them to go back down again with Adkins at the helm at the start of the season.

The person who should be getting sacked is the guy who sanctioned £7m CASH POUNDS to be spent on Jay Rodriguez, truly one of the worst value signings ever. Remember when people went crazy over Sunderland spending £5m on Michael Chopra? SEVEN MILLION on JAY RODRIGUEZ !!!!!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
very hard situation, he has fallen out with big rick, spend 8 million on rodrioguez, and another 12 on a midfielder, plus the money on clyne....without much in return

EIGHT million!!?? ??? :tantrum:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it's ludicrous to see the local rag putting that out.
Just like Mustafa Kemal, they can say 'oh no, we weren't suggesting he should go, simply asking the question'.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think he has got to be asked questions despite his previous successes but that depends on whether it was him or not that sanctioned the transfer activity that they have done- they have spent a lot of money buying players for the wrong places and not strengthening their defence.

If we got promoted and Poyet spunked our whole budget on a right back, a midfielder striker then I'd certainly raise my eyebrows. What the hell happened to buliding from the back!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here