Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicolas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nicolas

Fragmented Badger said:
There was an interview with Butters in the Argus a few weeks ago, in which he said Southampton players took a 50% cut after they got relelgated from the Premiership. He went on to say something along the lines of, "Ours isn't so severe, but obviously there is a loss in wages for the players." I am quite sure they have taken a pay cut, that's not the point. They will be on less money, but for that money we could have signed players 10 years younger, with something to prove. Instead, we have taken the easy option of keeping the existing mob, who to most are quite obviously past their best and unlikely to be successful next season. The whole decision was nothing but pure LAZINESS by the club.

Yes, think that was the article in the Argus I was thinking about, there was also another by Naylor prior to the deals being offered that implied the cuts would be hefty.

I think the "existing mob" will prove you wrong, but let's see, eh, before you lose any more spittle on your keyboard? :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nicolas

Fragmented Badger said:
Yes, I knew you were right about the pay cuts - it has been mentioned in the Argus a few times.

There is no "spittle" at this end, sir. Next season is a win-win situation in my opinion.

Scenario A) We do really well, everyone is happy, players prove they are good enough etc etc.

Scenario B) We are bloody useless. McGhee will be out by Christmas, the players should be released at the end of the season, and we all thoroughly enjoy the moan in between!

Either way, everyone's a winner, and there is nothing to spittle over:D

Well, if you put it like that :D

I just hope the criticism of Chippy remains good spirited and fair - it would be a shame if this fine servant became some kind of NSC hate figure at the end of his career with us :drink:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I have never had a problem with Chippy, I have had a problem with MM picking him. If MM offered me a contract I would take it but lets be honest I shouldn't be playing. I would never boo him or complain about his effort, its just his form of last year means MM should not have picked him.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Les Biehn said:
I have never had a problem with Chippy, I have had a problem with MM picking him. If MM offered me a contract I would take it but lets be honest I shouldn't be playing. I would never boo him or complain about his effort, its just his form of last year means MM should not have picked him.

Spot on, theres no way he would become some kind of hate figure he's been a brilliant player for the club and controlled countless games over the years BUT he is past it. Fair play to him for taking the contract and I will continue to support him but there were numerous occasions last year when MM shouldn't have picked him because of his poor form and being a yard short to everything. Always gives 100% though cant complain about his effort :clap:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody is basing Chippy's ability and what he will contribute next season on what he did in the Championship, last season. As I have said he has proved beyond all doubt his worth and ability in Div 1 and perhaps MM thinks that he can do it yet once again in that division.

He is not going to be playing in The Championship to be exposed for pace as he was this last season.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Fragmented Badger said:
Absolutely correct, Les. I don't think there is any need to actually moan at or insult Carpenter. He has been here a long time now, and in his day, he was a very good player - one of our best, in fact. However, his time has passed, he is now way off the pace, and not the player he was. It is McGhee's job to notice this, and deal accordingly. It's not Carpenter's fault, and I would never criticise him for this - particularly as, however badly he is playing, he is one player I could NEVER fault for giving 100% effort. I just think that, as a club, we are too slow in forseeing this sort of situation, and so we are left reacting about two years too late. In an ideal world, when we stayed up 2 years ago v Ipswich, some of the older players would have been moved from first team regulars to squad players, and eventually released. That way, we may have made progress, and probably wouldn't be staring at league one with the same players who looked average in it three years ago!

However, having said all that, I honestly can't remember exactly how good/bad league one is, so I may well be proved entirely wrong next season. I don't THINK I will, but I do HOPE I will.

*love in* Damn fine post Badg.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Erm wasnt Chippy rushed back from injury on Boxing day to replace Oatway.

Our CLOWN of a manager then saw fit to play a (clearly) unfit Chippy for the rest of the season instead of shuffling his pack with Nicolas or Reid etc etc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

Our CLOWN of a manager then saw fit to play a (clearly) unfit Chippy for the rest of the season instead of shuffling his pack with Nicolas or Reid etc etc.

Quite right. He was clearly struggling having been rushed back. A mistake on MMs part that one. It would have been a perfect opportunity to play one of three in the midfield (Mayo, Nicolas or Reid). I would rather have a player that is 100% fit than anyone else. Unless it is Rooney of course!

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

Then said he should have played Nicolas more, then released him. GENIUS.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Icy Gull said:
Argus

I may have missed it but I thought he chose to leave, I didn't realise he wasn't offered a new contract. Must admit to being suprised.

Apologies if fixtures, ringtones etc etc

At last something sensible, he was hopeless.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No one has mentioned Lofty yet - he was added to the midfield squad during the season so someone had to make way.

I quite liked Nicolas' hustle and bustle approach but 75% of his passes were square or back and what we really missed last year was creative midfield (as well as a striker to knock 'em in).

I too thought Chippy was very poor after Xmas but he is more creative then Nicolas (IMHO). The bigest mistake I think has been made is not playing Reid in midfield (who has shown to be creative and a goal scorer in his limited appearances in midfield).

The midfield I would like to see next year is:
Frutos Oatway Reid Hammond

with Carole as a sub/switch for wide-midfield and Chippy/Loft as cover for centre midfield - but I just know Mcgoo will have Chippy in his team - he likes and rates him ....

ho hum

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here