Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicolas

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Icy Gull said:
So apart from being clueles, he is now building a team based on whether the players will back him if he's sacked, rather than players to take us back up? That is a conspiracy theory and a half

I personally think there could be some truth in it. I certainly think it would have contributed to MM keeping certain players on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is true that too many of the "experienced" (actually, over the hill and/or injury prone would be more accurate) players have been retained... Chippy being the prime example, but I wouldn't have kept the Ginger Prince either, and giving Dodd a second chance, what is that all about?... can't afford to keep a player who doesn't play, surely?...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Fragmented Badger said:
The whole contract thing was an absolute FARCE, from the time it took to sort things out, to the cowardly decisions the club took on who to keep. Carpenter over the last 12 months can, I am afraid, only be described as complete toss. Nicolas, whilst not being given a chance, had enough promise to deserve a go in league 1. McGhee, in characteristically pathetic style, opted to give the old man another year. What a BUFFOON :angry:

I suspect Dick Knight had a say in the decisions as well....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that you are all going to remember these posts in May of next year if Chippy helps us get promoted. He is playing at the level that he is most comfortable and best at and could be effective again as he has been in our previous promotions.

Am I really just dreaming or hoping?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
BensGrandad said:
I hope that you are all going to remember these posts in May of next year if Chippy helps us get promoted. He is playing at the level that he is most comfortable and best at and could be effective again as he has been in our previous promotions.

Your dreaming if you think we're going to get promoted again.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Fragmented Badger said:
And I suspect that if McGhee had said he wanted to get rid of Carpenter, and any of the other has-beens/never going to be's, Dick Knight would have been only to pleased to save the money they will be RAPING this club of next season.

I suspect that Nicolas was on a higher wage than Carpenter though, and that may be one of the reasons why he stayed

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
brightonfan_86 said:
Your dreaming if you think we're going to get promoted again.

Ben tells me we will as he has only seen about 1 or 2 seasons when we havent either been promoted or relegated and Martin Perry said the other day that promotion is a priority and that they need the fans behind them so perhaps they will astound us all.

I was thinking more of relegation than promotion but who knows miracles do happen.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The obsessions with Nicolas on here is getting boring. He had two good months before signing permanently since when I have rarely (if ever) seen him have a good game. Chippy, on the other hand, has had a bad half season out of 6 at the club.

The attacks on here against one of our best and most reliable players at Withdean are disgraceful especially as some people on here would attack McGhee whatever decisions he made. When he gets fully fit and has a full pre season, I am confident that Chippy will be back to his best next season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:

I will give him my full support when (hopefully, if) he wears the stripes next season, but would prefer to see us invest in a central creative midfielder to play alongside Charlie...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am thinking with the team we have at the moment we will be a force to be reckoned with. Comfortably top half of the table.

With a few signings and blood in some more youngsters, who knows whether we could set our sites higher.

We competed well in the first half of this season and beat some decent teams overall. Injuries and a lack of depth to our squad played a key role in our demise. There is a difference in the standard of the leagues (obviously) and I really think we can do well again. McGhee got us out of the league when we were a long way off being the best, so there is no reason why we can't have a decent crack at it again this year.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
The obsessions with Nicolas on here is getting boring. He had two good months before signing permanently since when I have rarely (if ever) seen him have a good game. Chippy, on the other hand, has had a bad half season out of 6 at the club.

The attacks on here against one of our best and most reliable players at Withdean are disgraceful especially as some people on here would attack McGhee whatever decisions he made. When he gets fully fit and has a full pre season, I am confident that Chippy will be back to his best next season.

The club can't afford to offer contracts based on performances the season before last... misplaced loyalty will cost us dear...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
But people have been saying that for about five years........

Yes, I'm one of them!... :)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Fragmented Badger said:
The whole contract thing was an absolute FARCE, from the time it took to sort things out, to the cowardly decisions the club took on who to keep. Carpenter over the last 12 months can, I am afraid, only be described as complete toss. Nicolas, whilst not being given a chance, had enough promise to deserve a go in league 1. McGhee, in characteristically pathetic style, opted to give the old man another year. What a BUFFOON :angry:

I love you. And not just for your highly errudite and considered posts.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
I am thinking with the team we have at the moment we will be a force to be reckoned with. Comfortably top half of the table.

With a few signings and blood in some more youngsters, who knows whether we could set our sites higher.

We competed well in the first half of this season and beat some decent teams overall. Injuries and a lack of depth to our squad played a key role in our demise. There is a difference in the standard of the leagues (obviously) and I really think we can do well again. McGhee got us out of the league when we were a long way off being the best, so there is no reason why we can't have a decent crack at it again this year.

The problem with the squad as it stands is where are the goals going to come from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here