Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicolas to stay

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I must admit I was sceptical about signing Nicolas based on MM's early pronouncement that he was similar to Charlie Oatway, but from what I've seen - all games except Wigan - I would say we are on to a winner, and ought to move quickly (for once) to get him on board permanently...

He certainly puts himself about a la Oatway, but also rarely loses the ball - playing the simple pass... something Charlie fails to do...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
PS. Wish the source of the story was a bit more reliable... I mean the original article, not the NSC poster!!...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
BUTTERBALL said:
Nicolas has really impressed me so far, he is such a good passer of the ball and a little terrier too. Yes, i'd love him to stay.

And if we can get Nicholas permanently he, rather than Oatway, should be first choice. Anyone disgagree.

???

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Couldn't agree more, Zebedee...

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
most young players coming out of the chelski stable at the moment have no chance of 1st team action at stamford bridge. at least nicolas has played 3 games (i think) for their 1st team. thus making him a good young player. i think he will do well for us, and hope he signs full time.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I thought he was bollocks at Wigan. Couldnt pass forwards to save his life.
However his other performances have been sound. He could be a usefull addition to the squad.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
would'nt think there would be a fee involved.
I would guess he would be a free transfer
maybe the wages could be a problem

Zebedee said:
And if we can get Nicholas permanently he, rather than Oatway, should be first choice. Anyone disgagree.

???

Nobody important. :lol:

Robert Lester Zamora said:
McGhee on Oatway

"Charlie had a fantastic season last year when he returned from his injury. He has trained hard and has got himself fit. He looks sharp and he looks a better footballer now."

McGhee on Nicolas

"Each day that he has been with us, Alexis has got better and better as he has got fitter and stronger - and as he has got to know us. He’s a Charlie Oatway type of player but younger and maybe even more energetic than Charlie. He looks as if he could be a good player to put alongside Charlie and maybe he will eventually replace Charlie in a couple of years."

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
y2dave said:
It must be true, it's also in the Sun. We had the option signing him permanently when we took him on loan but Mcghee wanted to be sure he was better than we already had at the club. If true will probably be the end of Oatway as a first choice midfielder.

Not quite true... The club originally arranged a season-long loan deal with Chelsea but it was Alexis who only wanted three months at first.

He wanted to be sure it was the right move for him ... i.e. he wants regular first team action but also wants to be playing at at least Chyampionship level (i.e. he would prefer not to be playing League One football next season.)

So far I think he's very happy indeed - in a recent interview published in the Seagull matchday magazine he suggested that he was now ready to commit if McGhee felt the same way.

It may be converted to a season long loan if Alexis wants to keep his options open (i..e. should we get relegated he can walk away) but hopefully he is enjoying the craic so much that he'll plump for a permie deal.

Would be surprised if anything is tied up just yet - i mean when Carpenter, Oatway and Rodger are fit, will Alexis get a starting place? (imho he should). If not then he may be less keen to sign.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Would be surprised if anything is tied up just yet - i mean when Carpenter, Oatway and Rodger are fit, will Alexis get a starting place? (imho he should). If not then he may be less keen to sign.

It would be an absolute travesty if Nicholas failed to keep his place when Oatway returns, although if the points in London Irish's earlier posting are taken at face value, it would seem that McGhee's rates Charlie more highly. If this is really true, heaven help us.

:D

Last edited:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Zebedee said:
, although if the points in London Irish's earlier posting are taken at face value, it would seem that McGhee's rates Charlie more highly.
:D

Note : the quotes from McGhee on the relative merits of Oatway/Nicolas were provided two days before the Reading match.

Therefore it is possible that his opinion may have been revised since then.

We will, of course, find out once all our players are fit once again.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Note : the quotes from McGhee on the relative merits of Oatway/Nicolas were provided two days before the Reading match.

Therefore it is possible that his opinion may have been revised since then.

We will, of course, find out once all our players are fit once again.

I very much hope that McGhee has changed his opinion of the relative merits of Nicholas and Oatway. IMHO there is just no comparison but Oatway remains a useful squad player.

:drink:

Zebedee said:
I very much hope that McGhee has changed his opinion of the relative merits of Nicholas and Oatway. IMHO there is just no comparison but Oatway remains a useful squad player.

:drink:

I'm sure he is changing his mind all the time about the merits of our midfielders. Hammond was virtually out the door until getting a remarkable break of luck. If Chippy, Charlie, Rodger and Reid been fit, who could say if Dean would still be an Albion player?

I'm confident that McGhee will make the right choices and get the right balance between attack and defence in midfield.

My big thing is not that Oatway is in the team, but that someone who could the job that Charlie did for us so well last year is there - if that's Nicolas, Hammond or Rodger instead of Charlie, I don't mind.

What I find utterly tiresome about the anti-Oatway tirades you get on NSC is this naive idea that if we pick 4 attacking midfielders, everything will be fine.

I loved that line in Andy Naylor's review of the Leicester game where he noted that Leicester ended the game with 3 wingers and 4 centre forwards in their team. That's the kind of team pattern I think the anti-Oatway brigade would love us to pick! :rolleyes:

But I'll take Zebedee's descption of Oatway as "useful", it's a step forward from the park footballer/headless chicken crap so often you see on these threads.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Face it, LI, you are (finally) changing your tune... you now realise that Oatway will NOT be good enough for this division (he wasn't last time, so why will it work for him now?)...

Saying that all anti-Oatway contributors want to play 4 attacking midfielders is bollox of the highest order... I, for one, have never said such a thing... stop trying to move the argument away from the central point... Oatway may win a few tackles, but is unable to pass with an acceptable degree of accuracy... losing possession in this div is footie suicide... that is why Charlie should NOT be in the team...

Nicolas, on the other hand, puts himself about AND is able to make simple passes to his team-mates... not lose possession to the opposition...

b.w.2. said:
Oatway may win a few tackles, but is unable to pass with an acceptable degree of accuracy... losing possession in this div is footie suicide... that is why Charlie should NOT be in the team...

Why don't you FACE IT, bw2

McGhee on Oatway: "Charlie had a fantastic season last year"

:salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here