Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Proschwitze

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We didn't sign CMS a year ago, then?

We did! But we have not been successful in Gus' publicly stated desire of landing a 'striker with presence' for over a year now, which is fcuking pathetic...

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
I cant believe that people thought we had £3-4m to spend in the first place??

We're are a mid-range Championship club when it comes to our transfer budget and hopefully people might start to realise that now..

I've full confidence that Gus will spend it wisely enough. Whether that means CMS going as part of the deal then so be it. Bloom isn't a billionaire, and he also doesn't want to spend beyond his/our means and end up where Pompey are in 4/5 years time.

Fair play I say. If we 'only' spend £2m on a striker then that's fine with me. The team will still be more than competitive this season, and we'll still pack out the Amex every other week.

Remember where we've come from. Up the Albion.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
How is a tweet from Andy Naylor, Gus moaning about our budget? It doesnt say anywhere gus moaned about the budget just he was out of our price range. Maybe they had a figure in mind as to how much he was worth and Hull exceeded that so we didnt bother.

People seem to get a bit carried away thinking we will just throw money at anything or anyone, however the club doesnt operate like that. Yeah i would like to see a new striker and fingers crossed it will happen as believe that is where we are lacking.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We're are a mid-range Championship club when it comes to our transfer budget and hopefully people might start to realise that now..

I've full confidence that Gus will spend it wisely enough. Whether that means CMS going as part of the deal then so be it. Bloom isn't a billionaire, and he also doesn't want to spend beyond his/our means and end up where Pompey are in 4/5 years time.

Fair play I say. If we 'only' spend £2m on a striker then that's fine with me. The team will still be more than competitive this season, and we'll still pack out the Amex every other week.

I think you'll find we need to be at least in and around the playoffs or gates will slowly decline... in order to achieve that league position, we need to invest in a new striker, so I am not optimistic if we don't land one... the 2 things (striker / crowds) are linked...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How is a tweet from Andy Naylor, Gus moaning about our budget? It doesnt say anywhere gus moaned about the budget just he was out of our price range. Maybe they had a figure in mind as to how much he was worth and Hull exceeded that so we didnt bother.

People seem to get a bit carried away thinking we will just throw money at anything or anyone, however the club doesnt operate like that. Yeah i would like to see a new striker and fingers crossed it will happen as believe that is where we are lacking.

The tweet isn't Gus moaning, but he moaned for the umpteenth time about our budget after the Swindon game, so your point re the tweet is a moot one...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
There is a difference between what our available budget is, for the capital outlay on transfers, and the wage budget. A 'gem' signing might not cost any fee at all.

Well other than a signing-on fee, agent's fees, and probably higher wages because they can demand them if they are out of contract. As a business with a positive cash-flow from season ticket sales, the transfer fee should not be a problem, if wages are affordable. Based upon statements from Gus etc., the wage cap appears to be a problem, and the main reason for players being too expensive - unless a "similar budget to last year, or slightly higher" has been spunked on Crofts? If the wage cap is too low for the player in question, what hope is there?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poyet has revealed Hull's new £2.5 million German striker Nick Proschwitz was on Albion's radar. He said: "We looked at the striker. Of course, it was quite expensive to get him in and it was difficult to get him."

Its not moaning, is it? Its just facts.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

You are missing three points:
1) most fans are now JCL/floating/uncommitted fans, who will only watch a successful team.
2) we are supposed to be going for promotion.
3) there is a massive difference between Pompey's overspending on their revenues, and "pushing the boat out" on a striker that can produce the much-needed goals. We wasted enough on CMS last year, and this year's Budget was alleged to be similar or slightly higher. We also spent quite a lot on other players like Buckley.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The tweet isn't Gus moaning, but he moaned for the umpteenth time about our budget after the Swindon game, so your point re the tweet is a moot one...

See posts on previous page where people are saying he cant go a day without moaning. He may of done after Swindon but he hasnt come out and moaned today as hans says it isnt moaning its just stating facts

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
We do not have large sums of money in the bank to freely spend on players.

Yes, we have 24,000 sth, but nearly all of these will pay monthly, which means only one-third would have been received so far (starting in April).

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
You are missing three points:
1) most fans are now JCL/floating/uncommitted fans, who will only watch a successful team.
2) we are supposed to be going for promotion.
3) there is a massive difference between Pompey's overspending on their revenues, and "pushing the boat out" on a striker that can produce the much-needed goals. We wasted enough on CMS last year, and this year's Budget was alleged to be similar or slightly higher. We also spent quite a lot on other players like Buckley.

1) How do you know MOST are JCLs, some yes but a hell of a lot are existing supporters or returning fans.
2) Yes but it is well publicised that its a 5 year plan we are not at year 5 yet, strengthening the defence first ensures survival, the strikers bring promotion so we are still on course.
3) Pretty much agree with you on this one, although not the wasted bit stikers are incredibly overpriced and you will pay a dividend for an average player let alone a good player.

Strange that another thread praises the Arsenal model and then we slag Albion of for following the same principles. We all agree we need a new striker but not at any price.

This whole saga on the striker is doing my nut in!! I think we can push higher this season as we have a stronger back line Crofts will be a great addition in midfield, We did bag a quite a few goals last season, the Albion will grab a 4th finish!!!!

There were moments in that Swindon game when I thought Bridge & Bruno will be class for us this season!! Crofts, lua lua and CMS are going to shine this season and Vicente....well we all know on his day he can destroy a team!! (Maybe Barnes will come good again too!!)

Gus know's what he's doing!!!(I hope hehehe)

Keep the faith chaps Swindon was just a little slip!!

Up the Albion!!!

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
This whole saga on the striker is doing my nut in!! I think we can push higher this season as we have a stronger back line Crofts will be a great addition in midfield, We did bag a quite a few goals last season, the Albion will grab a 4th finish!!!!

There were moments in that Swindon game when I though Bridge & Bruno will be class for us this season!! Crofts, lua lua and CMS are going to shine this season and Vicente....well we all know on his day he can destroy a team!! (Maybe Barnes will come good again too!!)

Gus know's what he's doing!!!(I hope hehehe)

Keep the faith chaps Swindon was just a little slip!!

Up the Albion!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here