Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Clegg Looks to be Honourable!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Un-elected because no one from his party chose to stand against him.
There was an election called, no-one stood against him, so he was elected unanimously.

as true as that is, lets not pretend he was unanimously accepted by the party. Howmany attempted coups have their been in his short leadership?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
as true as that is, lets not pretend he was unanimously accepted by the party. Howmany attempted coups have their been in his short leadership?

There haven't been any. Labour party rules say that the leader can be challenged if enough MPs want it, but it didn't happen. Grumblings to journalists in late-night drinking sessions doesn't count as a coup.

You're right about his acceptance but being unanimously elected and unanimously accepted by the party are completely different.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
There haven't been any. Labour party rules say that the leader can be challenged if enough MPs want it, but it didn't happen. Grumblings to journalists in late-night drinking sessions doesn't count as a coup.

oh of course, the media made it all up. 3 or 4 times. :rolleyes:

The cock-ups at the polling stations yesterday will add grist to the electoral reformers mill - and about bloody time.

electoral reform would make people get to the polling station before 9:45.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
oh of course, the media made it all up. 3 or 4 times. :rolleyes:

No, I said, there were plenty of grumblings about his leadership and how he should be replaced but no-one actually did anything about it.

Thatcher faced two leadership elections in her Prem and Major faced one - in those cases, there grumblings came to something.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Thatcher faced two leadership elections in her Prem and Major faced one - in those cases, there grumblings came to something.

is anyone claiming they had universal support within their party? and wtf does it have to do with Brown anyway, doesnt change the fact even his own party have been unhappy with the arrangement leading to his leadership.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
is anyone claiming they had universal support within their party?

I don't think anyone would claim that Brown had universal support within his own party either but the fact remains that no-one had the balls to stand against him.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I don't think anyone would claim that Brown had universal support within his own party either but the fact remains that no-one had the balls to stand against him.

And to think, as I have been this morning: how very differently last night might well have panned out if someone had.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And to think, as I have been this morning: how very differently last night might well have panned out if someone had.

Depends who. I can't imagine that Harman or Balls would have been much better - and probably worse. Johnson probably would have been better and I'm not sure about Miliband.

Depends who. I can't imagine that Harman or Balls would have been much better - and probably worse. Johnson probably would have been better and I'm not sure about Miliband.

But now is the time for coup, Johnson, has a much better presence. I like Balls, he actually lives in Hackney. I am not sure about the Millibands, not yet anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sadly, too many unprincipled career polititians among Labour top brass these days.

The principled ones with some bollocks all left the cabinet around the time Blair took us into an illegal war.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
is anyone claiming they had universal support within their party? and wtf does it have to do with Brown anyway, doesnt change the fact even his own party have been unhappy with the arrangement leading to his leadership.

You don't listen do you. When you say his 'own party' you try to imply the whole party were against him. They quite clearly weren't otherwise there would have been a leadership challenge. It's like saying that because Withdean Wanderer doesn't like a player then the whole of the Albion supporters think likewise.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
BBC-
BREAKING NEWS

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg says he sticks to his view that the party with most votes and seats - the Conservatives - should seek to form a government.

Or maybe not:

"The Lib Dem team negotiating with the Tories over forming a new government also met in secret with Labour figures at the weekend, the BBC has learned.

As well as holding talks with senior Tories, they met Lord Mandelson, Ed Miliband, Ed Balls and Lord Adonis, BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson said."

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Or maybe not:

"The Lib Dem team negotiating with the Tories over forming a new government also met in secret with Labour figures at the weekend, the BBC has learned.

As well as holding talks with senior Tories, they met Lord Mandelson, Ed Miliband, Ed Balls and Lord Adonis, BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson said."

Doesn't surprise me at all really. I'm just waiting for The Scummers to come in at the last minute & offer him a better deal..

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Christ that idiot Cameron running this country :shudder: Last one out turn off the lights, oh no actually don't bother, that idiot Hove Born and Bred will be staying behind.

:US:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Ed didn't...:laugh:

Did they go around in his constituency with posters saying "Vote For Balls"...might have got the lezzers there interested.:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here