Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Clegg Looks to be Honourable!

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
As for Clegg, he should form an alliance with whomever is closest to his own ideals and policies. That would show integrity.

Ditto.

Lib Dems should do the deal with labour I just wish Brown would step down and Miliband take over, I can't see Lib dem doing a deal with Brown in charge. It would be great if the reform was passed it might well be the Tories RIP for ever which would be blooming marvellous

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Things would be so much easier if we had an English only Parliment - Conservatives 297, Labour 191, Libs 43, Greens 1. Well, that is pretty clear what the English want.

If there is any electoral reform to be agreed, it MUST include English MPs only votes on English matters.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Oh dear, oh dear!

"And it has now emerged Nick Clegg also met Gordon Brown in private on Monday before a meeting with David Cameron."

What an arsehole!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"And it has now emerged Nick Clegg also met Gordon Brown in private on Monday before a meeting with David Cameron."

What an arsehole!

why? best to meet now and see what he has to say, rather than leave it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Best he let the jock cu nt stew and form a government with the winners of the election, as he said he would.
Isn't that what he's trying to do?

But if there are irreconcilable differences, he's got to explore other avenues surely? I don't really get where your anger comes from.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Isn't that what he's trying to do?

But if there are irreconcilable differences, he's got to explore other avenues surely? I don't really get where your anger comes from.

Because Gordon Brown and his cronies have been soundly (but unfortunately not soundly enough!) beaten, and is only looking at being propped-up, yet again, by the jocks and taffs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because Gordon Brown and his cronies have been soundly (but unfortunately not soundly enough!) beaten, and is only looking at being propped-up, yet again, by the jocks and taffs.
Imagine what it must have been like being a jock or a taff and having to put up with the Tories for 17 years.

Secondly, the fact is that a Con Lib alliance is still the most likely, but if the Tories are too far apart from EVERY other party to form an alliance with them, whose fault is that?

I guess that's democracy for you. For what it's worth, I can't see Brown staying on if there does have to be a cobbled together left-of-centre alliance running the country. None of the other parties in the coalition would have it.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Things would be so much easier if we had an English only Parliment - Conservatives 297, Labour 191, Libs 43, Greens 1. Well, that is pretty clear what the English want.

If there is any electoral reform to be agreed, it MUST include English MPs only votes on English matters.

This can only happen if Scotland, Northern Ireland and wales are granted indpendence.... not even the Tories want that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This can only happen if Scotland, Northern Ireland and wales are granted indpendence.... not even the Tories want that.

As I pointed out on another thread, all this talk about the Tories being in power if it were down to English votes rather ignores the fact that they're the most pro-Union of the three main parties.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As I pointed out on another thread, all this talk about the Tories being in power if it were down to English votes rather ignores the fact that they're the most pro-Union of the three main parties.

Maybe we have reached the point where the English need to tell the hangers-on to just f*** off and let us move forward without them being a mill stone around our necks. If we can only have the Governmant we need without them - then so be it!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can never understand why the Scots and Welsh should be able to vote in the election to run their country and also to run the UK. I know that they are members of the UK but they are the ones who want to be self governing so let them run themselves and also provide their own finance from the taxes that they raise.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I can never understand why the Scots and Welsh should be able to vote in the election to run their country and also to run the UK. I know that they are members of the UK but they are the ones who want to be self governing so let them run themselves and also provide their own finance from the taxes that they raise.

:thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My fear is that the Tories dupe Clegg into a temporary Alliance with an empty promise of a vote on electoral reform, then start to govern as if they had got their majority in the first place.

The former Tory Deputy Chairman Michael Dobbs was on the radio this morning basically saying electoral reform should take a back seat whilst the crisis in our domestic and EU economy is addressed. The problem is the crisis is SO big that "justification" for inactivity could be rolled out for at least 5 years, i.e. the life of a parliament if necessary.

You can see how this will pan out - we're still waiting for an EU referendum from Labour that it now looks like we won't ever get, and I think we'll get the same re the Tories and Electoral Reform.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

They don't want to be self-governing though- the only referenda on the issues didn't result in a Yes vote (although the Scotland one was a bit of a fudge). A proposal for another referendum in Scotland was defeated by the combined forces of the Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative parties.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In which case, the Tories would lose the support of the LibDems, operate as a minority government, and lose the various Commons votes.

Don't discount the Celtic Alliance - totaly plausible "grants for votes" deal to be had there.

The majority of Tories will feel that if they get their man into No.10 then the Lib Dems can feck off, and similarly any sort deal that avoids electoral reform is worth doing.

The economy's in such a mess the Tories can delay anything else for as long as they want on the grounds it's not essential / in the nation's short-term interest / diverting attention from the financial crisis that threatens to envelop us all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here