Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice to see the Environment Agency boss is finally back from his Carribean holiday

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The only criticism I have is that he's holidaying during his occupations 'key trading period'. Retailers don't tend to go away in December nor hoteliers during the summer. That's the odd bit for me whether he's earning £10k or £100k, that's incidental in my view.

Is it their key trading period? They deal with a lot of other things besides flooding. Pollution and environmental permitting. I imagine they're busiest in the summer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Flooding can happen at any time of the year, and it changes every year. When do you suggest he goes on holiday then?!

Who can predict a month's rainfall in 24 hours? I was caught in a flash flood (cloudburst) in 1982 in hilly country, and nowhere near a river. It was terrifying with the water flowing very rapidly about a foot deep. I had been to a family wedding so fortunately I had my inlaws in the car with me. My FIL was a driving instructor so was talking me through it. It was 3pm on a July day, pitch black, thunder and lightning, hailstones and torrential rain. I've never seen anything like it since.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Flooding can happen at any time of the year, and it changes every year. When do you suggest he goes on holiday then?!

He can take a holiday when he likes but as head of a huge agency he should at least bother to show some interest when said department faces it's biggest issue in a long long time and thousands/millions of people and business are affected so much. And by show some interest yes I do mean cut short his holiday. I'm sorry but it's part and parcel of the huge responsibility he has. In this together remember.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He can take a holiday when he likes but as head of a huge agency he should at least bother to show some interest when said department faces it's biggest issue in a long long time and thousands/millions of people and business are affected so much. And by show some interest yes I do mean cut short his holiday. I'm sorry but it's part and parcel of the huge responsibility he has. In this together remember.

Interesting that in these days of remote working and telecommuting that someone who is a big proponent of it seems to be implicitly suggesting that this chap has spent the last week or two sitting by the pool with his feet up sipping pina coladas with his Blackberry turned off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does it really matter whether he was in the caribean or in an office in London. He will have been instantly contactable whether by phone or email.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Maybe the government should have employed an Environmental boss that was clairvoyant, had the powers of Moses or King Canute. He would not have booked his holiday at this time and he could have bombed up to the places up north and stopped the floods.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does it really matter whether he was in the caribean or in an office in London. He will have been instantly contactable whether by phone or email.

Of course it matters!

Those who would have been sneering at David Cameron sploshing around in his Hunters are now demanding that this chap was also doing the same.

D

Deleted member 22389

I see the thread was tagged with tory scum, I don't like the tories but really are we now going to blame the weather on them as well, or is it the case the man might also vote tory and earns 100k a year?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Heard on the radio that esp in the York area THE ROMANS knew about the flooding. Seems we just dont learn lessons. So as far as York is concerned I blame the Romans, I meam what have they ever done for us apart from the roads , sanitation,irrigation, medicine, education...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course it matters!

Those who would have been sneering at David Cameron sploshing around in his Hunters are now demanding that this chap was also doing the same.

You are of course right. Never turn down a photo opportunity to satisfy the media.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I see the thread was tagged with tory scum, I don't like the tories but really are we now going to blame the weather on them as well, or is it the case the man might also vote tory and earns 100k a year?

Well to be honest, it is politicians of whatever persuasion that determine how much is spent on flood defences. Same as coastal erosion and other environmental issues.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
In the wake of the December floods, Prime Minister David Cameron has unveiled a new map of the UK.
“Rather than try to fight future flooding or repair damage, we thought it best to just embrace it and welcome them as a feature. Perhaps now we can have an even Greater Britain in 2016” the Prime Minster and Peppa Pig enthusiast told the press this afternoon.
The map has some striking new features. Most noticeably is the creation of a new stretch of sea crossing what was formally the North of England up to the Scottish border. This new body of water will be known as The Straits of Pish.
The news has been welcomed by the SNP and its MPs, as they claim it will strengthen the cause for an independent Scotland.
SNP representative Jock McDougal told BFNN: “These floods are brilliant for us, we aren’t even connected to England anymore. It’s what we’ve always wanted. It’s a wee Christmas Miracle.”
So abundant is the rejoicing in Scotland that a new town on the southern coast will known as “Salmond-upon-sea”.
There is bad news for first time buyers in Manchester, with house prices set to skyrocket. Many homes in the city center are already being listed as “coastal property” and high-rise flats described as having “Sea views”.
When asked what will happen to the residents of the former cities of Preston, Hull, York and Newcastle, Mr Cameron responded saying, “Never heard of them, no trick questions please.”

See new UK map below.
http://news.bfnn.co.uk/government-release-post-flood-map-of-uk/

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Youknow what I meant generally.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Is it their key trading period? They deal with a lot of other things besides flooding. Pollution and environmental permitting. I imagine they're busiest in the summer.
Of course it is! Those hardly createthesame headlines nor political damage.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bloody hell tories are a bunch of cry babies aren't they? I'd have thought it pretty reasonable that a man who earns a LOT of money for doing a job could cut short his holiday when a crisis arises that specifically calls on him to do that job. What has party politics got to do with it?

Do your job properly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bloody hell tories are a bunch of cry babies aren't they? I'd have thought it pretty reasonable that a man who earns a LOT of money for doing a job could cut short his holiday when a crisis arises that specifically calls on him to do that job. What has party politics got to do with it?

I didn't realise it had until you brought it up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Do your job properly.

Out of interest, what decisions do you think could have been taken differently just because he was sat in an office in London rather than in the Caribbean?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting that in these days of remote working and telecommuting that someone who is a big proponent of it seems to be implicitly suggesting that this chap has spent the last week or two sitting by the pool with his feet up sipping pina coladas with his Blackberry turned off.

That's fine. I have no issue with this per se. In fact I'd encourage an environmental minister to champion remote working.

The issue for me is saying how he vowed to be the "public face" if there was a repeat of the floods of 2012-13 or 2013-14, adding that he would 'show great interest, care, visit, turn up in wellingtons and so on very early on... [to] take some of the heat out of it". He didn't do any of this. In fact I'm not aware of any visibility, messages or activity over the holiday period. At least Cameron stepped into the breach and showed some interest and support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here