Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice to see the crowds flocking back under Adams...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Personally I think people are a bit weary of the whole testimonial thing to be honest, although I personally turned up to both of the recent ones.

Whether true or not at this level, there is a perception that footballers don't need the money.

I worked at the same company for 13 years and didn't get the opportunity to have a year of fund raising. We can argue that footballers have a short career etc.., but at the end of the day it's the career path they have chosen.

Perhaps the whole idea of the testimonial has had it's day.

I totally agree and having 2 matches at home in the space of 4 days is ridiculous. The price of £10 will bearly cover the cost of putting the match on, but space the games far enough apart so more people will go to both rather than choosing one or the other.

I also think that with football saturating the telly fans have become far more picky about what they will and won't watch.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Personally I think people are a bit weary of the whole testimonial thing to be honest, perhaps the whole idea of the testimonial has had it's day.

I think that's right. Remember the days when everyone in Brighton was talking about Steve Foster's pay rise (c.1983) and he was earning £50k/year. The average salary at the time was £10k (ONS - National Statistics Online). So as a Division One (first tier) player he was earning 5x the average. Huge, but a player was not expected to play far beyond his early 30's. The idea of a testimonial then had some purpose and some credence. Give a long-standing and popular player a nice lump sum to help him in the transition from football to life in the real world. It made sense.

The UK average is now around £24k, so a player with a comparably high wage would be on £150k pa. Again, that would be a very good wage, but for a top player.... some are now earning that a week.

I'm sure OGH isn't (damn sure!) but he will be earning well - it's probably he's on six figures. He's also just signed a new contract. I would imagine that in time when money is tighter people could easily think "Good fella, but he's been earning well for a long time. It's just a pre-season game - think I'll skip it" - and evidently people did.

The quality of the "legends" turning out seems to just prove this is well. Where were the pro's that made the extra effort to help their old mate get an essential nest-egg for the future?

It doesn't reflect on OGH so much - it reflects on the opposition, the financial climate, the fact that in reality it was just a training game, his lack of perceived need, the fact that his career has been played in the lower reaches against smaller crowds and a lack of general support for the concept of a "testimonial".

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
PS I see that Joey Barton has had his £40 a year, two year sponsorship deal cancelled by Nike. Good news of course, but this guy was getting £40k a year just for wearing football boots. I am sure OGH wasn't getting anything like that - or possibly anything - but it all adds to the general feeling that "footballers don't need my help at the end oft heir careers any more".

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think the club have missed a trick, the HOME pre season friendlies should all be FREE to season ticket holders, just like it is for the reserve games every year.

Gary Harts game should have been charged and rightly so, as it was a testamonial game, with the money going to Gary, but lasts night game could have been a freebie to Season Ticket Holders.

Maybe a deal where its free for STH, and they get a half price ticket for a friend.

It would have meant a bigger crowd last night, more interest into the coming season, and lead to bigger gates during the season.

Non STH could still be charged £10, as as it turned out, last nights game was pretty good viewing.

Had their been more people there, there would have been many more people excited about going to Barnet or Bristol Rovers games at least.

It would have only been for one game, but may have a good effect for the rest of the year!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Richie,

Credit crunch.......The fans have flocked back an extra 1000 season tickets sold comapred to last year

I heard a couple of months ago that we had sold 4000 season tickets, anybody heard if that has changed?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the club have missed a trick, the HOME pre season friendlies should all be FREE to season ticket holders, just like it is for the reserve games every year.

Gary Harts game should have been charged and rightly so, as it was a testamonial game, with the money going to Gary, but lasts night game could have been a freebie to Season Ticket Holders.

Maybe a deal where its free for STH, and they get a half price ticket for a friend.

It would have meant a bigger crowd last night, more interest into the coming season, and lead to bigger gates during the season.

Non STH could still be charged £10, as as it turned out, last nights game was pretty good viewing.

Had their been more people there, there would have been many more people excited about going to Barnet or Bristol Rovers games at least.

It would have only been for one game, but may have a good effect for the rest of the year!

We'd never get any quality opposition in at that rate. The club still has costs to bear, including the staging of the match, and Ipswich's (in this instance) travel expenses.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I doubt Hart would be on £ 100000 plus. He was in a very weak bragaining position so I would not be suprised if it is £ 1200 - £ 1500 pw, £ 60000 - £ 75000 pa.

I reckon the top end players are on around £ 3000 pw, £ 150000 pa, Forster, Murray, Elphick etc

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I But with prices still high could the positive impact of Adams be balanced out by high prices and less expendable income?

Albion v Barnet (Carling Cup Round One)
Posted on: Wed 16 Jul 2008

Tuesday 12 August. Withdean Stadium. Kick-Off 7.45pm.

Ticket prices have been slashed for this match!

Season ticket holders have until 5pm on Wednesday 23rd July to secure their usual seat for this match, after which point tickets will go on general sale. Season ticket holders should visit the Ticket Office at 5 Queens Road or call the Ticketline on 01273 776992.

North Stand (Centre)
Adult: £15.00
Senior Citizen: £9.50
Under-16: £8.50

North Stand (Wings)
Adult: £14.00
Senior Citizen: £8.50
Under-16: £8.00

South Stand (Centre)
Adult: £13.50
Senior Citizen: £8.00
Under-21: £9.50
Under-16: £7.50

South Stand (Wings), South East Stand & East Stand
Adult: £13.00
Senior Citizen: £7.50
Under-21 £8.50
Under-16: £7.00

North East Stand (Family)
Family Ticket 1+1 (U16): £14.00
Family Ticket 1+1 (U10): £12.50

Additional Member of Family:
Adult: £12.50
Under 16: £7.00
Under10: £1.00

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
10k at Selhurst for Dougie Freedman's testimonial tonight, and i am shocked it was that low. I really thought he would get 15k absolute minimum

we went along to that. hopefully my £15 went in his relocation fund for up north. pretty poor turn out and a shame he only played 40 odd mins.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I hardly call £15 for a noddy cup competition against Barnet "slashed".

Whilst the likes of barney may argue that there is no such thing as the credit crunch, it is undoubtedly true that people have less disposable income and will therefore chose what they spend their limited money on.

there will no doubt be a few more bums on seats for the first few games, but it will no doubt even out and again we will be back to the 4500 gate ( there are very few big games this season).

Personally I just hope with all the delays, credit cruch, people losing interest and the high cost of third division football, that Falmer is going to be worth the wait and not end up some huge white elephant!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I hardly call £15 for a noddy cup competition against Barnet "slashed".

Whilst the likes of barney may argue that there is no such thing as the credit crunch, it is undoubtedly true that people have less disposable income and will therefore chose what they spend their limited money on.

there will no doubt be a few more bums on seats for the first few games, but it will no doubt even out and again we will be back to the 4500 gate ( there are very few big games this season).

Personally I just hope with all the delays, credit cruch, people losing interest and the high cost of third division football, that Falmer is going to be worth the wait and not end up some huge white elephant!

It is slashed, in that it is £9 cheaper than normal prices.

The problem with this game is, we always used to get it free as part of the season ticket.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is slashed, in that it is £9 cheaper than normal prices.

The problem with this game is, we always used to get it free as part of the season ticket.

I agree with that, but I would call slashed as down to a tenner. ( just a matter of interpretation really)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I doubt Hart would be on £ 100000 plus. He was in a very weak bragaining position so I would not be suprised if it is £ 1200 - £ 1500 pw, £ 60000 - £ 75000 pa.

I reckon the top end players are on around £ 3000 pw, £ 150000 pa, Forster, Murray, Elphick etc

And that's the point I'm making.

Steve Foster was earning five times the national salary as a top player in a tier one team. Now, it's the top players in third tier clubs that are earning that much and the ones in higher leagues earning massively more than that.

This is where the sympathy of the man earning £24k pa might be waning slightly.

Not long ago when footballers were earning £15k pa and struggling to pay their bills like the rest of us in a career that is necessarily short, we felt that the testimonial had a purpose. Now, it's the perception (and maybe the reality) that this is less the case.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Maybe now that they are on half pay - but I would be amazed if a player who had been at the club for ten years was on less than £1k before the new agreement for the coming season.

And the point is it's a perception as much as the reality. I'm not trying to guess how much these guys earn - I'm trying to make the point that maybe people think "they're football players who get a pretty easy life and get well paid for it - why should I chip in".

It's just a hypothesis.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Maybe now that they are on half pay - but I would be amazed if a player who had been at the club for ten years was on less than £1k before the new agreement for the coming season.

And the point is it's a perception as much as the reality. I'm not trying to guess how much these guys earn - I'm trying to make the point that maybe people think "they're football players who get a pretty easy life and get well paid for it - why should I chip in".

It's just a hypothesis.

You're completely spot on...Many people who are struggling to pay bills are disgusted by the amount footballers get paid and whilst Harty isn't on £30k a week like many premiership players, people still think that a fund raising event for a footballer who probably earns in excess of £50k a year is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

I've got nothing against OGH, but in the current climate I refuse to go to a fund raising event for someone who earns more money than I'll ever earn!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
credit crunch my arse. for those not paying attention its the break of school and last week end is the busiest day of the year for people going on holiday. my trains this week have been half empty, you think thats because suddenly everyones sacked due to the "credit crunch" or because half the working population has gone on holiday/staying home to look after the kids ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here