Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice to see the crowds flocking back under Adams...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im not even sure the credit crunch has impacted that heavily on people. BUT the FEAR of the credit crunch certainly has which, in terms of people tightening their purse strings, is just as important.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Im not even sure the credit crunch has impacted that heavily on people. BUT the FEAR of the credit crunch certainly has which, in terms of people tightening their purse strings, is just as important.

totally agree, media propaganda in this country is sickening

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Flat Earth News.

As soon as one 'expert' says it is doom and gloom everyone else jumps on the bandwagon without bothering to check their facts.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
It would have been more than 1,700 if the ticket office didn't fudge up the tickets. Djmiles ordered our tickets on Friday, was told they would get posted. Alas, by this morning they failed to arrive so phoned up the ticket office and were told they would be at the ground for pick-up. Fine. No problem. However when you get to the ground (7:15) there is a huge queue to pick up tickets with just the 1 booth open.
The poor customer service at the ground didn't help matters after they misplace numerous tickets. Just my luck, at 8:00pm both myself and Djmiles were still left standing outside with no tickets. The staff there were very apologetic but it was an absolute farce. Nice and organised as bloody usual :laugh:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand the worry about the attendances but I have been going for many years and only finally decided earlier today that I would go and that was only because Ben wanted to otherwise I wouldnt havebothered. However, I am glad I did as I quite enjoyed the game.

I actually don't doubt more people will feel like returning to the fold after Adams' appointment.

I do however thing the club needs to look at other issues, especially price, as other posters above have quite rightly pointed out the credit crunch is going to have ramifications for many football fans.

Obviously pre-season friendlies are the first to go. But with prices still high could the positive impact of Adams be balanced out by high prices and less expendable income?

What you're saying might actually be valid if the tickets hadn't been just a tenner for tonight. That's the same price as Worthing away was. It'll be about the cheapest you'll get at Withdean all season, and quite possibly the best opposition too.

I didn't go, to be honest I had other things I wanted to do instead, I chose to go Saturday rather than tonight. I have got my season ticket again though, so the club have already had cash from me.

It isn't easy for people to generally quantify what the credit crunch actually means to them, but it IS real, and it is affecting many, so I don't blame anyone for not going tonight.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I actually don't doubt more people will feel like returning to the fold after Adams' appointment.

I do however thing the club needs to look at other issues, especially price, as other posters above have quite rightly pointed out the credit crunch is going to have ramifications for many football fans.

Obviously pre-season friendlies are the first to go. But with prices still high could the positive impact of Adams be balanced out by high prices and less expendable income?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr - why didnt you say all that stuff about the credit crunch in your original post then?

Fact is you were having a dig and someone has put you straight re numbers of season tickets now sold.

I would respectfully say you've made a mug of yourself, wouldn't you??!!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr - why didnt you say all that stuff about the credit crunch in your original post then?

Fact is you were having a dig and someone has put you straight re numbers of season tickets now sold.

I would respectfully say you've made a mug of yourself, wouldn't you??!!

I think as sometimes happens on here the original post was a bit of bait to ensure a good debate.

Richie (after his OP) has made some very valid points.

He mentioned pre season friendlies, and while I see these being very boring they are essential for teams to gel and remember, we are not forced to go to these games. I think sometimes though that these games should be played behind closed doors to reduce costs.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
10k at Selhurst for Dougie Freedman's testimonial tonight, and i am shocked it was that low. I really thought he would get 15k absolute minimum

I have to say, I was also surprised at the atendance tonight for our game (1700) and yours too.
Richie morris,s statement "the FEAR of the credit crunch" is going to have a huge effect on gates this year.
I,m just wondering how on earth we are going to borrow 50 million pounds for a stadium, with almost certainly falling attendances in football below the Premiership. Any bank/banks who are prepared to do this, frankly, must be mad.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I have to say, I was also surprised at the atendance tonight for our game (1700) and yours too.
Richie morris,s statement "the FEAR of the credit crunch" is going to have a huge effect on gates this year.
I,m just wondering how on earth we are going to borrow 50 million pounds for a stadium, with almost certainly falling attendances in football below the Premiership. Any bank/banks who are prepared to do this, frankly, must be mad.

I wouldn't be too worried

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Personally I think people are a bit weary of the whole testimonial thing to be honest, although I personally turned up to both of the recent ones.

Whether true or not at this level, there is a perception that footballers don't need the money.

I worked at the same company for 13 years and didn't get the opportunity to have a year of fund raising. We can argue that footballers have a short career etc.., but at the end of the day it's the career path they have chosen.

Perhaps the whole idea of the testimonial has had it's day.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Let's get about 10 games into the season proper, and surely then we can start making sensible judgements on the size of the gates ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here