Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL, Superbowl, is it really worth the hype??

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well the game last night was worth the hype, absolutely superb stuff. It was totally compelling viewing, shame the 49ers couldn't complete the comeback, but it was one hell of a game.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not a fan, but to say it's all over the place on Twitter etc is over cooking it. The sport gets a minor mention on the Beeb for a few days around the Superbowl, that's it really.

Back in the late 80s I used to be in to it, even went to watch Locomotive Derby, but it never caught on and I doubt it ever will outside of the US.....

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I much prefer Australian Rules Football as the most exciting variation on Rugby. My wife loves watching those bronzed, muscular men in their singlets and mini-shorts!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Egg chasing is one thing but chasing a brown egg wearing protective padded clothing and helmets is just a f***ing joke!

Shit sport, never worth the hype, it's bigged up every year to be something special when in reality it's a load of old crap!

Rant over, untill next year!!!

So, don't watch it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I love American football, but it does beg the question - which came first? MK Dons or the Baltimore Ravens? Answers on a postcard to 'Let's just create or relocate a football franchise whenever and wherever we feel like it, NFL Headquarters, the Mid West, USA'

And before anyone says it - no the Ravens aren't anything to do with the old Colts of Baltimore.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
NFL, Superbowl, is it really worth the hype??
Quite simply, no. I like it as a sport, but Americans ruin sports by dragging it out too much so they can get their advertising revenue etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In football you're only really getting 60 minutes of (ball in) play over two hours.
You get less than 60 minutes of ball in play action is US footy, and proper footy takes a bit less than 2 hours. His point is correct.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Egg chasing is one thing but chasing a brown egg wearing protective padded clothing and helmets is just a f***ing joke!

Shit sport, never worth the hype, it's bigged up every year to be something special when in reality it's a load of old crap!

Rant over, untill next year!!!

I suspect if we went onto an equivilent NFL site, if one exists, they will say the same thing about the Ashes - up to 25 days of one man throwing a ball while another tries to hit it between two teams as far apart in distance as possible - and at the end of a match lasting 5 days the result can be a draw.

Don't like it don't watch it, its not as if it gets blanket coverage in this country, if you don't have sky you probably didn't even know it happened.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I find that the problem is, it's just not ACCESSABLE.

It doesn't matter how much coverage Sky do of it(which is brilliant by the way), or how much you can read about it, It's still subject to a time difference, on a SUNDAY NIGHT which is just not made for a British viewing audience.

Maybe I'm old before my time, but I'm not staying up till 2am or whatever when I have to get up at 6.30 for work. That, I think, is it's real holdback. Also, the fact you're watching american teams means, no matter how much you 'support' one, it's not the same as watching a team from THESE shores.

For the game format itself, once you understand the rules (which are actually VERY basic), It's brilliant. I loosely follow the Atlanta Falcons and watcing their games the other week was amazing sport.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Agree mejona. I used to watch the Channel 4 show back in the day because it was on at a decent time. I don't do SKY and so have no idea what their coverage is like. For me you don't have to tie your allegiance to any particular team to the enjoy the sport, and I do find it somewhat absurd that people can get passionate about any one particular team on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, as if it really means something to them. It's a great sport and any match up is worth a watch, I just wish there was a decent terrestrial TV round-up package on at a sociable time over here, or even full games with all the breaks stripped out of them. I love Mike Carlson, and he should front his own show imho.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I enjoy it but the half time show is just bollocks, IMO. It detracts from the game and drags out the half time which should be 15 minutes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As everyone is aware - last night was significant as we all watched the progress of the Superb Owl

Superb-Owl-2.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Honestly, thank you.

I've never even HEARD of this before. I'm currently watching various Puppy Bowl videos on silent in the office and thats enough to have me giggling like a schoolgirl.
My pleasure, but to be honest it's The Bugle podcast you should be thanking, as I hadn't heard of The Puppy Bowl, either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here