Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Season

Seems to me that Poyet taught his monkeys how to play football but the other teams soon realised that and simply go out playing the old fashioned "rough 'em up game"

One point from the last three games says it all.

This is why top teams often lose against bottom teams in the FA Cup - they simply won't let them play football.

With the Albion undoubtedly going to finish in the bottom half of the table for the second season running, to expect automatic promotion next year, is going to be very difficult. Take a look at the sides competing for the top places in each division. None of them ended the previous two seasons near the bottom of their respective leagues.

I don't think next season is going to be 'The Year' after all...........

What do you think?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Depends on who we bring in.
Team changes last night certainly didn`t work.
It was clear that once Navarro came on we played a lot better.

I think the first year at Falmer is far more realistic for play offs/promotion.
We could possibly make play offs next season but it will be tough.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
In a way, I am glad we are going through a tough period now. Teams have worked us out and Gus needs to learn what to do when this happens. It is better that the manager has the opportunity now, rather than halfway through next season.

Every new manager has an end to the honeymoon period, it is how they bounce back from this that is the measure of a manager. I back Gus to learn from this experience, and we will be better next season for it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A push for the Play-offs is realistic. The way people go on about automatic promotion you'd think we were the only club trying to get it.

It all depends how much Gus spends and who he brings in I suppose, but as you say it's a big leap to go from bottom half to top two in a year. Look at Huddersfield, they spent millions in the summer and haven't got it quite right this season

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I think automatic promotion next year is a distinct possibility. I've never been so excited about a manager to be honest and he'll have funds to back him up in the close season.

And 1 point in 3 games doesn't quite tell the story. For a start, if Murray had been himself, we'd have run out comfortable winners last night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poyet rested Navarro and Dicker last night. I think the game would have been different had they started. We have come on in leaps and bounds since November and have all summer to make a team instead of 11 individuals.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im in agreement, id be thrilled with play offs next year but a more realistic time for promotion would be when Falmer is built possibly.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I can't really seeing us pushing the likes of Southampton for a top two slot next year, and would be delighted with a playoff season.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think that there is every chance that we can win promotion next year.

However, I do have a very big concern that Gus Poyet is trying to play too much pretty "foreign" football for this league, and the appointment of a foreign Chief Scout only makes that fear greater.

We all want to see the Albion play nice football, but the teams that do that all of the time are rarely those that win anything. Look at West Ham over the years.

I have a concern that as Gus is now "The Gaffer" and not playing second fiddle to someone like Denis Wise (who would obviously ensure that any team he is involved in is "up for the fight"), that he needs to remember that to get out of this League, he needs some scrappers as well as flair players. Let us hope that he has recognised this and creates a squad over the summer that has lots of flair, but is able to scrap for results when needed.

To me, it is important to note that our one point from the last three games is a result of playing teams below us in the League Table, who look to have more fight in them than our players. Next year, we will need to beat these teams, as well as the top teams, who will probably let us play our pretty football, if we are to win promotion.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Personally I think automatic promotion next year is a distinct possibility. I've never been so excited about a manager to be honest and he'll have funds to back him up in the close season.

And 1 point in 3 games doesn't quite tell the story. For a start, if Murray had been himself, we'd have run out comfortable winners last night.

To a large extent I agree. However, in my opinion, Murray was himself - inconsistent and rarely happy in a scrap.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
One point from the last three games says it all.

To me it says that our decent run was going to end at some point and missing some key players had hindered our efforts. Three games is never really an accurate indicator, but it perhaps shows that we are lacking that extra bit of quality in our ranks to make up for missing say Painter and Murray.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think that Poyet's positive attitude makes him stand out more than any manager we have had in many a long year. Clearly there's a lot of tuning to be done yet but the team is on their way. By now Poyet has pretty much decided who he wants and who is past their sell by date. The fact that he sent Forster on his way, although disapointing to many fans, shows that Poyet has stamped his authority over the team, something that might not have been true of several of his predecessors. Hopefully he will have a decent budget which he has already says he has which will put us on a better footing. Doubtless many of the clubs who miss out will be selling some of their better players which will help, we might even get them. Poyet also appears to know who he wants to bring in which is also a very positive sign. I think Slade just got who he could persaude to come here as did Adams. The fact that several of their acquistions seem to be surplus now is a factor.

We need to be able to beat teams like Carlisle and Gillingham home and away to be promoted. The one problem is, do you build a team to get promotion or do you opt for a longer term strategy ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

However, I do have a very big concern that Gus Poyet is trying to play too much pretty "foreign" football for this league, and the appointment of a foreign Chief Scout only makes that fear greater.

We all want to see the Albion play nice football, but the teams that do that all of the time are rarely those that win anything. Look at West Ham over the years.

I have a concern that as Gus is now "The Gaffer" and not playing second fiddle to someone like Denis Wise (who would obviously ensure that any team he is involved in is "up for the fight"), that he needs to remember that to get out of this League, he needs some scrappers as well as flair players. Let us hope that he has recognised this and creates a squad over the summer that has lots of flair, but is able to scrap for results when needed.

To me, it is important to note that our one point from the last three games is a result of playing teams below us in the League Table, who look to have more fight in them than our players. Next year, we will need to beat these teams, as well as the top teams, who will probably let us play our pretty football, if we are to win promotion.
I respectfully disagree. You talk about "foreign" football as if they don't do fight or spirit and don't have limited players in flair countries. I bet if you watched a Spanish 3rd division game, they'd look every bit as ordinary (if not worse) than anything our 3rd tier can muster.
Your last paragraph is the important bit - we have little to play for, unlike our last 3 opponents. Poyet is possibly being a bit experimental and some of our players are already on the proverbial beach. If last night was the opening game of the season, I reckon we'd have absolutely walked it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Whilst I agree with the policy of replacing aged players,I don't think this should be done to the detriment of the team. Forster out is one thing,but Barnes in ? Dickinson out may be applaudable to some,but for Holroyd?

Gus is a new,young manager,and I think he could get us into the play offs next season,and he will be scrambling up that learning curve all the time.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think that Poyet's positive attitude makes him stand out more than any manager we have had in many a long year. Clearly there's a lot of tuning to be done yet but the team is on their way. By now Poyet has pretty much decided who he wants and who is past their sell by date. The fact that he sent Forster on his way, although disapointing to many fans, shows that Poyet has stamped his authority over the team, something that might not have been true of several of his predecessors. Hopefully he will have a decent budget which he has already says he has which will put us on a better footing. Doubtless many of the clubs who miss out will be selling some of their better players which will help, we might even get them. Poyet also appears to know who he wants to bring in which is also a very positive sign. I think Slade just got who he could persaude to come here as did Adams. The fact that several of their acquistions seem to be surplus now is a factor.

We need to be able to beat teams like Carlisle and Gillingham home and away to be promoted. The one problem is, do you build a team to get promotion or do you opt for a longer term strategy ?

What "longer term strategy" can start without getting promotion at some point? It is often said, and I totally agree, you have to be able to play the football that is needed to get your way out of the League you are in.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Erm, Swindon were near the bottom last season and with one or two additions are now fighting for auto promotion.

If Brighton have some key additions (not major surgery), have a good pre season then why not.

key additions, certainly being a striker.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am unconvinced that 4-5-1 (4-3-3) is sustainable game in-game out unless you have someone like Barnes as one of your nominal wide players to drift inside and take the weight off the main striker as we tried to do last night with mixed success.

Other teams can counter it too easily if you are tactically a one trick pony.

I think we also have to be able to start with 4-4-2 and sometimes switch style to a long ball game with the likes of LuaLua and Holroyd running through from deep.

It will be their ability to change tactics between and during games and get the players to respond effectively that will be the true test of Gus and his coaching team.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Swansea were able to get out of this division playing the same style of football Gus has bought in. With a reliable and consistent goal scorer we'll do the same-that's a top priority as we all know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In my opinion, the Poyet WARCHEST should be spent on the following prioirites:

Painter from Swansea
A class striker
Kazenga

Some will say we need a new keeper, but I'm happy with BREADVAN. I reckon his clangers will prove less costly if we add some firepower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here