Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next manager to get the push?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Everyone predicted this as far as I can see - I know I did. Lots of posts at the time about how unforgiving their fans will be, how they won’t stand for his pre and post-match conferences playing the “underdog”, how a few bad results with endless passing football and no final product etc.

It’s basically all coming true.
Setting aside all the personal feelings towards Potter, the fact he 'asset stripped' the club and EVERYTHING else that has been said since Chelsea first approached him, what was he meant to do? Turn them (and the money, CL football, etc, etc) down? Go there, but play a way that would please the fans? Or, as it looks like, commit to what his employer wants him to do and trust that they will give him their backing?

(Based on what normally happens in this situation, I can't see the last one happening if things don't improve rapidly, but I guess he'll have the 'Chelsea payoff' that so many other managers have enjoyed over the past few years...)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Setting aside all the personal feelings towards Potter, the fact he 'asset stripped' the club and EVERYTHING else that has been said since Chelsea first approached him, what was he meant to do? Turn them (and the money, CL football, etc, etc) down? Go there, but play a way that would please the fans? Or, as it looks like, commit to what his employer wants him to do and trust that they will give him their backing?

(Based on what normally happens in this situation, I can't see the last one happening if things don't improve rapidly, but I guess he'll have the 'Chelsea payoff' that so many other managers have enjoyed over the past few years...)
It was a poor choice of club, that’s all. Chelsea were the worst possible choice. Their last manager to last more than 150 games was 14 years ago.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The exact same noises Arsenal fans were making consistently about Arteta until this season.
Entitled ......... meet entitled!
I just can’t see how they can sack him unless they are in this position this time next year. They want a project. I guess time will tell if Boehly has big ones.
Boehly wants a project. Chelsea fans want what they are entitled to, and they want it now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was a poor choice of club, that’s all. Chelsea were the worst possible choice. Their last manager to last more than 150 games was 14 years ago.
Oh, I totally agree. But once that initial contact was made, I think it was nigh on impossible for him to say no. I'm not at all sure how serious the Tottenham interest was, but a 'top' top club coming in for you as their manager would be very hard to turn down.

Also, if he DID, I am sure it would affect him mentally while he was still Brighton manager – that's human nature – which would impact on the results, performances etc. It's not definitive, but Michael Beale's QPR have only won one of the four games since he turned down Wolves (and the one victory was a couple of days after the rejection (the winner scored by one L Balogun, as it happens)). Lots of people praised him for his 'loyalty' at the time, but at what cost? They've dropped from top to fifth and are now seven points off the top (albeit with a game in hand).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oh, I totally agree. But once that initial contact was made, I think it was nigh on impossible for him to say no. I'm not at all sure how serious the Tottenham interest was, but a 'top' top club coming in for you as their manager would be very hard to turn down.

Also, if he DID, I am sure it would affect him mentally while he was still Brighton manager – that's human nature – which would impact on the results, performances etc. It's not definitive, but Michael Beale's QPR have only won one of the four games since he turned down Wolves (and the one victory was a couple of days after the rejection (the winner scored by one L Balogun, as it happens)). Lots of people praised him for his 'loyalty' at the time, but at what cost? They've dropped from top to fifth and are now seven points off the top (albeit with a game in hand).
I hear you, but it reeks of a payday because the historical precedence is entirely against him. I’m not saying he hasn’t done well, he has, but a £60m contract - and in reality working a year of that - is madness from their end.

I can absolutely see why he took it, but it’s the perfect example of a poisoned chalice.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Che Adams has done okay, he was what, £15m? 16 goals and 8 assists over 66 appearances over the last 2 seasons, some of them as sub, I think he's been a decent signing for them.
Adams is their Maupay, and Maupay wasn't good enough for us. They're both experienced, 26 yo strikers. Their Prem stats are:

Che Adams 109 apps, 23 goals
Neal Maupay 110 apps, 27 goals.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Adams is their Maupay, and Maupay wasn't good enough for us. They're both experienced, 26 yo strikers. Their Prem stats are:

Che Adams 109 apps, 23 goals
Neal Maupay 110 apps, 27 goals.
Yup.. both in the category "useful for a bottom half team".

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Boehly wants a project. Chelsea fans want what they are entitled to, and they want it now.
I think the initial boos were directed at Boehly because they were grieving for Tickle. Now they are aimed at GP. Boehly might want to give GP time but the fans might life uneasy for him. Ha ha.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I like Nathan Jones. He's a passionate football man and he's worked wonders with a small budget at Luton. I haven't seen a lot of Luton, so can claim no special knowledge, but I get the impression that tactically, he is fairly traditional. The words I read when looking at analysis of his methods are things like 'defensively resiliant', 'lower possession', 'well organised' & 'direct football'. Now this could be pragmatism, but if these describe what Southampton are looking for, then I do wonder why they aren't looking at a, currently out of work, manager with this style, similar motivational skills and bags of experience operating on a very limited budget in the top division.

In other words, if not this job, then who is going to give Sean Dyche a route back? I don't much like the bloke, but he has proven himself a far better manager than the Bruces, Wilders and McClarens who never seem to be short of a job offer from a sleeping giant or relegation threatened EPL side. Is he doomed to be considered yesterday's man because of the unfashionable pragmatism that seemed forced upon him by Burnley's tiny EPL budget? Like Hughton, he was more expansive in the Championship when he had a more even playing field.

Much as I fondly remember NJ's defiant wins as caretaker for us, were I a Southampton fan, worried about scrapping for points to avoid the drop, or even looking to return quickly from the Championship, I know which of the two I would have more faith in.
Or is it Dyches 'commercial conditions' that put folk off? He seemed to have his fingers in many pies at Burnley

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Lamps a gonner surely after a thumping at Bournemouth?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lamps a gonner surely after a thumping at Bournemouth?
I don't think cup games matter in the scheme of things but he must be on thin ice. He's got a few games left, I reckon but he needs to start winning some

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I was quite shocked to read he succeeded Mark Hughes. I thought Hughes was consigned to the dustbin of dinosaurs way longer than just 4 years ago. Was he really still doing the rounds in 2018?
He’s still doing the rounds in 2022.. currently 5th in League Two with Bradford City.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s still doing the rounds in 2022.. currently 5th in League Two with Bradford City.
Ha. I’m going to Sutton v Bradford on Saturday; I’ll say hi!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is a bit random fella, friends or family ?
I guess it does seem a bit random. I need the ground for my “92” which I’m aiming to complete soon; 6 more to do after this. When the Villa game was switched to Sunday I thought I’d use the free Saturday to tick a ground off. I’m going with my brother so it’s also “family”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't think cup games matter in the scheme of things but he must be on thin ice. He's got a few games left, I reckon but he needs to start winning some
Bizarrely enough, starting with BMuff away at the weekend :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is a bit random fella, friends or family ?
As an aside, the last ground I did was Harrogate the day after Friday night at Brentford. Had lunch at the ground and then sat in the sun and watched Harrogate beat Hartlepool. Intersting game as Hartlepool were a quite a basic team based on tall strong players whereas Harrogate tried to play football, the football prevailed. Club and fans seemed a very warm and friendly decent bunch and Harrogate itself is a nice place. It took me back to the days when we were in the lower leagues and away-days were a simple affair mainly watched by people who are just into watching a game, seing a new place and having a pint or two i.e. no coked up dickheads. Ho hum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here