Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next manager to get the push?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think with the two you mention that it's significant they were already proven to be a success with those players/that style of play and although I'm sure there was talk of 'interest' in them at the time, the clubs/managers didn't sell because they recognised what they had :wink:
Indeed, personally hope we’ve grown out of signing expensive championship strikers like the Blackburn lad people seemed keen on.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Indeed, personally hope we’ve grown out of signing expensive championship strikers like the Blackburn lad people seemed keen on.
Ben Brereton "Diaz"

9 goals and 1 assist in 20 Championship matches this season, follow 22 goals and 3 assists last season.

He's the Murray-with-some-pace type of striker that many on here pine for, but we don't use in our system.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These sacking are all pointless at the moment - No team is cut adrift at the bottom really and the bottom 10 could all potentially go down. This ultimately means that at least another 5 Managers will probably go before the end of the season when some sides do actually come under threat.

Hassenhuttle survived at least two 9-0 defeats and bounced back from them and kept them up. There are always gonna be about 14 teams in danger of going down every year and thats what makes the PL quite exciting to watch because the Relegation battle is often more exciting that the race for the Title.

Fans demand a turnover of Manager and a Turnover of players on a regular basis and Clubs appease them but both are remunerated well so it comes with the territory of the job. As the saying goes '' You don't get paid the ''Big Bucks'' for F#ck all
Which is why I would hope that everyone saying US ownership will make the PL a closed shop eventually is wrong. Take out the relegation element (and promotion / playoffs in The Championship, which is in itself one of the best leagues in the world) and you'd effectively have 14 well payed teams playing meaningless rubbers while Norwich or Watford won a trophy every season even while putting their yo-yos away.

Closed shop would be better for manager retention though. Why pay off a contract if you're 20th when you can't go down.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I like Nathan Jones. He's a passionate football man and he's worked wonders with a small budget at Luton. I haven't seen a lot of Luton, so can claim no special knowledge, but I get the impression that tactically, he is fairly traditional. The words I read when looking at analysis of his methods are things like 'defensively resiliant', 'lower possession', 'well organised' & 'direct football'. Now this could be pragmatism, but if these describe what Southampton are looking for, then I do wonder why they aren't looking at a, currently out of work, manager with this style, similar motivational skills and bags of experience operating on a very limited budget in the top division.

In other words, if not this job, then who is going to give Sean Dyche a route back? I don't much like the bloke, but he has proven himself a far better manager than the Bruces, Wilders and McClarens who never seem to be short of a job offer from a sleeping giant or relegation threatened EPL side. Is he doomed to be considered yesterday's man because of the unfashionable pragmatism that seemed forced upon him by Burnley's tiny EPL budget? Like Hughton, he was more expansive in the Championship when he had a more even playing field.

Much as I fondly remember NJ's defiant wins as caretaker for us, were I a Southampton fan, worried about scrapping for points to avoid the drop, or even looking to return quickly from the Championship, I know which of the two I would have more faith in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hassenhuttl sacked at Southampton
I was quite shocked to read he succeeded Mark Hughes. I thought Hughes was consigned to the dustbin of dinosaurs way longer than just 4 years ago. Was he really still doing the rounds in 2018?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Potter would be getting his marching orders if it was left to the very vocal Chelsea fans, most appear to have gone into full meltdown

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Potter would be getting his marching orders if it was left to the very vocal Chelsea fans, most appear to have gone into full meltdown
Everyone predicted this as far as I can see - I know I did. Lots of posts at the time about how unforgiving their fans will be, how they won’t stand for his pre and post-match conferences playing the “underdog”, how a few bad results with endless passing football and no final product etc.

It’s basically all coming true.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The question I might ask Saints fans, is who in your squad is attracting serious interest from the big clubs? Even Ward-Prowse hasn't had a big move dangled at him.

If anything, they should have gone before. We'll see, but I suspect the manager here is not the problem.
Agreed. Recruitment has been a problem, the club sorted this in the summer by bringing in Joe Shields of Man City, only for him to be poached by Chelsea weeks later. Solid players and good pros like Vestergaard, Bednarek, Lemina, Redmond, Romeu, Ings all gone without being replaced.

Striker gambles like Che Adams, Walcott, and Adam Armstrong all flopped last year, but loanee Broja papered over the cracks.. JWP is the one remaining jewel, although they do have some promising kids. It looks like the proverbial 'Call Sam Allardyce' job although Sean Dyche could be the man to turn them around.

I'd be serious worried if I was a Saints fans. If Nathan Jones is the hot favourite to succeed RH then God help them. Luton are 8th in an incredibly weak Championship with ordinary teams like QPR and Preston above them. Saints need organising at the back, they were a shambles yesterday.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing is with Jones he had one step up in quality in his career, which was a failure - and that was at Championship level. Now he’s stepping up again into the Premier League. If it were the other way around, I would get it, but guiding small clubs to respectable finishes is one thing. Taking over a club with loftier expectations is another. Warne, Cowley, Potter…

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Everyone predicted this as far as I can see - I know I did. Lots of posts at the time about how unforgiving their fans will be, how they won’t stand for his pre and post-match conferences playing the “underdog”, how a few bad results with endless passing football and no final product etc.

It’s basically all coming true.
His dreary demeanour following a loss, with endless platitudes and inability to accept criticism doesn't help his case with the impatient fans up there.
If he crashes out of the CL and doesn't start winning PL games he could well be next for the chop.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
His dreary demeanour following a loss, with endless platitudes and inability to accept criticism doesn't help his case with the impatient fans up there.
If he crashes out of the CL and doesn't start winning PL games he could well be next for the chop.
I just can’t see how they can sack him unless they are in this position this time next year. They want a project. I guess time will tell if Boehly has big ones.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed. Recruitment has been a problem, the club sorted this in the summer by bringing in Joe Shields of Man City, only for him to be poached by Chelsea weeks later. Solid players and good pros like Vestergaard, Bednarek, Lemina, Redmond, Romeu, Ings all gone without being replaced.

Striker gambles like Che Adams, Walcott, and Adam Armstrong all flopped last year, but loanee Broja papered over the cracks.. JWP is the one remaining jewel, although they do have some promising kids. It looks like the proverbial 'Call Sam Allardyce' job although Sean Dyche could be the man to turn them around.

I'd be serious worried if I was a Saints fans. If Nathan Jones is the hot favourite to succeed RH then God help them. Luton are 8th in an incredibly weak Championship with ordinary teams like QPR and Preston above them. Saints need organising at the back, they were a shambles yesterday.
I think Che Adams has done okay, he was what, £15m? 16 goals and 8 assists over 66 appearances over the last 2 seasons, some of them as sub, I think he's been a decent signing for them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Southampton fans will be gutted at this (Jones)news, their relegation odds must have taken a tumble.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Just looked on the Southampton forum. They seem a level headed bunch, not up their own backside. They are a bit underwhelmed at the thought of NJ. To be honest I would have been if he replaced Potter, but then we are/were in a diffent place to Southampton and I wanted someone who I thought could continue where Potter left off. If we had been in the relegation zone I am not sure what I would have felt.

NJ did a good job in the few games he had as caretaker manager with us, so I wish him luck.

It is a brave move by Southampton's board if it goes through. I hope they stay up, there are many more clubs I would like see relegated before them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
there are many more clubs I would like see relegated before them.
Mid table for me. Obviously Palace top. Newcastle and any of the Super League teams next, then I don't much care, so anybody who we fairly consistently fail to get anything against, one of which is Southampton. I think that we've only beaten them once in the EPL, so I'd far rather lose them and keep one of our bunnies like Leeds or West Ham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here