Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Installment of writing from Brighton. Set in the Shark Club

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Shark Club is a trip along the seafront, back through the wind and the sea spray. We are met at the door by Rob and Sarah the promoters and warm up Dj’s both very excited because they got Paul Oakenfold for tonight. The queue winds along the wall full of turned up collars and cold pale faces. Rob and Sarah drag us through the door and past the bouncers; I feel the bag of pills in my pants and give them a big smile. The club is sweaty, dark, small and really f***ing loud. Sarah stuffs a pale looking beer into my hand complete with a bit of lime stuffed into the top of the bottle. What’s wrong with a pint? Well I suppose you have t get into the swing of things and it is refreshingly lighter than a pint and I suppose better for clubbing. We exchange hugs and kisses and she runs off to the DJ box. I look around soaking up the vibe; suddenly I see Becs and her mates. She catches my eye with her f***ing saucers and hurries over.
“Hi baby, How are you guys’ she beams
The round of hugs and kisses begins, Becs, Tasha, Lizzy and someone I’ve net met before but is fully off her tits. Isla’s her name and I am encouraged by her nutted smile as she introduces herself. This is going to be a top f***ing night. Oakenfold, a dirty sweaty noisy club and a posse of birds to get off our nuts with ands one that perhaps wants a bit more.
“Let’s get on it” I announce as I walk off to the bogs to get my pills out.

As I return I pull out a pill and look at the others. They grin back as if taking the piss. “You’ve all f***ing done ‘em ‘aven’t you you *****?” They all smile again a few breaking into evil little laughs.
“You’ve gotta keep up in this world” giggles Jonsey.
I chuck the thing in my mouth and take a couple of swigs of my beer.
“What have you got?” asks Tasha
“Some of them pink things” replies Jonesy
“f*** that’s what we’ve got” she says enthusiastically “They’re shit hot. I’m off me tits”
“That’s what I like to hear” I grin “I’ve got some more if you need, only tens to my favourite girls.
“Come on let’s have a dance, start as we mean to go on” orders Dutch Rod making his way through the thickening crowd to the dance floor.
We follow him and Mooney lights a splif. As we start to dance I become aware of the noise, the lights and the atmosphere. The nodding, smiling faces introduce us to the dance floor family. Join us, we are here for you. Mooney hands me the reefer and I take a long slow deep drag. As I take a sip of beer I feel a warm nauseous feeling rising from my stomach. I take another toke and join the nodding masses. “And we’re off’ I think to myself as I smile and let my eyes gently close. Things don’t get much better than this. .

Then they do. The music kicks up a notch, a funky bassline invades my head, it seems to pick up my feet. I lift my arm to salute the DJ (forgetting it is Sarah) and count the beats with my finger, smiling and riding the waves of bass as they run though my body knocking me off balance and disturbing the warm feeling and pushing it through my body. My eyes close again, I let a slow jet of air seep through my pursed lips until my cheek are sucked into the vacuum. I stumble a little and take a step back to steady myself, wait a beat so I can rejoin the puppet family floating on that bassline, oh that f***ing bassline. When I open my eyes again I see Isla mouthing “you okay?” and taking my hand. I hold her hand with both of mine, smiling and nodding in time with the music. She laughs and nods sympathetically and the world is a beautiful place. Another rush builds in my stomach as I dance with Isla, lost in the music and Isla. The music is building and building, I watch Isla dancing, he smile rocking me onward and upward. The strobes take over and I’m dancing harder and harder, floating higher and higher.

Then the strobes cut off and the music drops away.
“Shit, we’ve been busted! f*** run! Everybody run! Where is everyone! NO...wait...we’re in a club.......it must be over...finished? I’ve only been dancing for a while.” In fact I am still dancing and so is everyone else. I look up and see Isla looking at me confused and a little concerned...for me?... I obviously looked confused and off my nut.
“Ladies and Gentlemen” the voice over the PA “The moment you have all been waiting for”
I feel the penny drop and smile as I see the recognition on Isla’s perfect face. She stumbles forwards... I catch her.
“The one and only Mr Paul Oakenfold”
He rips straight into Funky Guitar, I take Isla’s hands and we’re off dancing as one being carried along by that infectious guitar riff.

I level off, conscious of where I am but no idea of how long I have been here. I am chewing furiously on a piece of flavourless gum that I have no ideas from where it came. I Dance with the boys for a bit pulling hard on a cigarette, feeling mellow and in control. I notice Isla is not around and ask Lizzy where she is. Lizzy smiles knowingly and points over to a little window sill just by the dance floor. She is sitting there nodding her head to the music, running her fingers through her hair and chewing furiously. I walk over trying not to stumble as I sit down next to her.
She smiles “Just dropped another and its coming on strong”
I hold out my hand and she grads it and starts to knead it grinning and chewing like a trooper.
She Blows air through her lips and says “So Jimmy... How come we have never met before?”
“I dunno” I say “I’ve known Tash for a couple of years”
“Yeah” she says “How come we’ve never met before?”
“Just bad luck” I grin
“Well it’s good that we’ve met now. Give us a hug”
The hug seems to last forever, I’m rushing the whole time. She ruffles my hair as we break off.
“Thanks Jimmy, you’ve completed my gouch” She says as she shakily stands and heads off to the dance floor. I drop another pill and take a sip of water as I follow her. We rejoin the gang with hugs and handshakes. The music kicks on and we dance and dance. I can’t believe I was feeling so low earlier. How do you feel bad, when live is this good?

The music builds and builds taking us puppets with it every inch of the way. The Whole room moving higher and higher until nothing.......the music fades and the lights rise. Everyone squints still moving but losing time without the puppet master like they just dropped all the strings.
“One More!...One more” we shout as we clap involuntarily up towards the DJ box.
Oakenfold obliges which is luck because we were going nowhere until we had another tune.

We stumble down the thin corridor sweat dripping down the walls and covering us in cool refreshing condensation. Rob hands Mooney a piece of paper, Mooney looks confused and thinking it’s a flyer throws it away. I grab it just as it leaves his hand and put it in my pocket til we get outside. As we hit the cold night air I feel a little more in control. I take out the piece of paper and try to read it, I can make out that it is an address for an after party but can’t translate it as my eyes are lacking focus. As I turn to the others I notice Isla walking out of the club looking around lost. I turn and wave her over. When she gets to me she puts her arm around my waist and smiles. I rush a little more.
“What you got there” she asks
“after party” I say as I put my arm round her shoulder and squeeze. She squeezes me back.
“I think he likes that” says Tasha as my eyes close and my head falls back with a huge smiles working across my face.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well I was bracing myself for a savage literary review when i woke up this morning.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
certainly stirred up some memories of the Zap club about 10 years ago......

Oh happy days!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh the memories, Tonka, Love Ranch.. How good was the Zap on a Monday without the Saturday shirt and beer crew?

there was a load of boys own Monday nights down the Zap one summer. Can't remember which one though. My memories of those times are hazy to say the least.

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Oh the memories, Tonka, Love Ranch.. How good was the Zap on a Monday without the Saturday shirt and beer crew?

there was a load af boys own nmonday nights down the Zap one summer. Can't remember which one though. My memories of those times are hazy to say the least.

Tonka was great. Sven vath till 8am, lots of big nights on a monday..

certainly stirred up some memories of the Zap club about 10 years ago......

Oh happy days!!!

Hate to break to to you, but we're talking nearer 20 years ago now.. :(
:rave:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I remember Underworld playing down there and Weatherall played a few times. Do you remeber "Protection" on a Friday?

Yes I was at an early underworld night at the Zap but was never a regular. Protection rings a bell but only a faint one. I loved the Shark Club for the short time it was open. and was often found in the escape.

Yes I was at an early underworld night at the Zap but was never a regular. Protection rings a bell but only a faint one. I loved the Shark Club for the short time it was open. and was often found in the escape.

Funny how the bars and clubs on the beach were all shit holes but what cracking nights. I remember seeing Richie Hawtin in the Escape..Quality!!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

In around '91/92' Sasha done a set of Friday nights downstairs at the Escape, which were superb, but generally I found after that sort of time, the Zap contained more pill heads and Escape became more Charlie boys hangout, so the Zap it was for me..!
Sunday roast/red light rush upstairs at the escape...dancing on the bar is another memory.. :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funny how the bars and clubs on the beach were all shit holes but what cracking nights. I remember seeing Richie Hawtin in the Escape..Quality!!

Far better then, than when they became all shiny chrome and respectable.

In around '91/92' Sasha done a set of Friday nights downstairs at the Escape, which were superb, but generally I found after that sort of time, the Zap contained more pill heads and Escape became more Charlie boys hangout, so the Zap it was for me..!
Sunday roast/red light rush upstairs at the escape...dancing on the bar is another memory.. :)

Blimey, how good was Sasha back then? I went to a Rennaisance on Hastings pier and saw him play. What a quality night. And, now I'm going grey!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Ha ha now you are talking. taking the piss out of Ricky Butcher walking about like he was king dick!

I remember seeing Sasha at the Escape and me mate claiming to have met him in the bogs. I wouldn't have had a clue what he looked like.....Still don't.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Blimey, how good was Sasha back then? I went to a Rennaisance on Hastings pier and saw him play. What a quality night. And, now I'm going grey!!

Northern Exposure nights, with John Digweed (from Hastings i recall?) and flyers with quality models on the front ?

I've got a funny/tragic story about that night..more time later tonight to tell..

I remember Underworld playing down there and Weatherall played a few times. Do you remeber "Protection" on a Friday?

Eric Powell - really hard progressive house wasn't it ?
Zap on a Friday, Club UK on a Saturday for couple of years..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here