• Noel Edmonds

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

International football is nothing but an irritation for most managers and now, it seems, some of the players too. There was a time when to be eliminated 4-1 by Germany would have devastated the side, moving half the players to tears. Now it's nothing more than a handshake, an exchange of shirts and "see you in the Champions League in the autumn".

Agreed. Never mind, I'm sure sacking the manager will make it all better. It always does.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I actually don't think Fergie/Wenger would lift a finger to help England whoever was in charge, it's too ingrained in them by now to just not give a shit.

Any why on earth should they ? They are employed by their club to do the best for their club. They are where they are because that it what they are good at. They have no responsibiltiy towards England and shouldn't have in the current system.

Put yourself in their shoes - this actually equates similiarly to the Mick McCarthy issue this season about playing squad players - if your job is on the line to create an environment where your team is successful, there is nothing that you are beholden to contribute to the England cause.

Now, you can argue the system should change to accomodate this, but in the present state, absolutely not.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Any why on earth should they ? They are employed by their club to do the best for their club. They are where they are because that it what they are good at. They have no responsibiltiy towards England and shouldn't have in the current system.

Put yourself in their shoes - this actually equates similiarly to the Mick McCarthy issue this season about playing squad players - if your job is on the line to create an environment where your team is successful, there is nothing that you are beholden to contribute to the England cause.

Now, you can argue the system should change to accomodate this, but in the present state, absolutely not.
'Twas ever thus. I've been following football since the mid 1960s and the Club v Country debate was alive and well then. People always moaned that the clubs cared more about their own interests and no one gave a stuff about the national team. There was a 'sort-of' joke that people used to tell: What does Alf Ramsey want? The same as any bloke, he wants to be able to get Twenty Players whenever he asks for them. (Note to younger readers: 'Players' was a make of cigarette)

In those days people said the problem was that the clubs were represented by the northern-based Football League whereas the national side was the preserve of the southern-based Football Association. If only, we used to sigh, there was just ONE organisation that controlled both the top clubs AND the national team.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
'Twas ever thus. I've been following football since the mid 1960s and the Club v Country debate was alive and well then. People always moaned that the clubs cared more about their own interests and no one gave a stuff about the national team. There was a 'sort-of' joke that people used to tell: What does Alf Ramsey want? The same as any bloke, he wants to be able to get Twenty Players whenever he asks for them. (Note to younger readers: 'Players' was a make of cigarette)

In those days people said the problem was that the clubs were represented by the northern-based Football League whereas the national side was the preserve of the southern-based Football Association. If only, we used to sigh, there was just ONE organisation that controlled both the top clubs AND the national team.

Indeed. I know it was slight off topic but I brought up Mick McCarthy becuase it is a similar argument, he was baically making decisions about his future, if they got relegated, he would be sacked. It was not his problem if his selections influenced the outcome of the top of the prem. If he got relegated, nobody is going to say "aw, but he made sure the premiership was a fair contest", you just know it would have been more like "you muppet, you cost us £40m through relegation"

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd like to see Capello stay. Face it, we're shit regardless of who the manager is. The only person who could probably do a better job than Capello is Mourinho, and being the smart man he is, he wouldn't touch the England position with a barge pole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here