Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Rumours seem to be getting a bit more prominent about Bo Svensson (Mainz) potentially being on the list. Not showing on the odds yet but tactically looks a good fit. Young, progressive and very well regarded.

Bit of background here https://totalfootballanalysis.com/a...2-bo-svensson-mainz-tactical-analysis-tactics

His back room staff are entirely German. If we need to bring in a complete team, will work permits be a challenge, if he wants to bring everyone with him?

I am not saying it works, but I was interested in the way that Lampard approached the Everton position, in that he had already assembled a back room team as part of his application. I can't see too many people sitting on the sidelines right now, capable of putting together such a team at this level.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
There is something deeply sad about the fact we’ve just had our club ripped apart by vultures but the endless monotonous circle that football is means we have to potentially do this to some other poor club who could be at a similar stage of their progression.

I agree. My initial response to Potter leaving was to feel anger at his disloyalty and hypocrisy. But then you think about it and of course it is the system
itself, awash with money, often from very dodgy sources, that inevitably leads to bad behaviour. I do blame Potter for seducing away the other coaches but which one of us would turn down these eye watering amounts of money. Professional football is a ruthless amoral business which could at least be improved by managers being unable to move once the season had started. But then that would not be in the interests of the "important" owners would it?.

Lawros Lip

Sep 16, 2020
That is fair comment, and I agree, however, I think we need a “name” to maintain our current standing and also engagement from some of the players, who (naturally) May feel more unsettled if a complete unknown comes in.

Potch for 18 months - 2 years would be great, then hopefully there’ll be a new tranche of younger, eager managers and players ready to take us forward.

Someone like him who could maintain the momentum with the understanding they would be with us for a couple of seasons could work for us. Might be preferable to some long term unknown who buys into the ‘Project’ then pisses off as soon as it starts to take off and their stock rises. Not Dyche or Rogers though!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know it’s unlikely but having read that I feel like anyone other than him now will be a disappointment.

Same. I’d never heard of the guy until yesterday and now I feel personally let down and deeply saddened that he isn’t going to be our new manager, because he thinks he is bigger than us. What a prick.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, no Brighton fan would ever have the word 'eagle' in their name unless it was some kind of insult.

I put him on ignore for that reason. Not because he's Palace but because he's sneaky and mocking. In my opinion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is something deeply sad about the fact we’ve just had our club ripped apart by vultures but the endless monotonous circle that football is means we have to potentially do this to some other poor club who could be at a similar stage of their progression.

Same as it ever was really. As fans we hold ideological notions of loyalty and longevity when it suits us, when things go badly we can turn on managers who have given their clubs great service. You might argue sacking Hughton was an act of disloyalty on the part of the club and he deserved a chance to turn results around.

A footballer can earn £40k per year in League Two to £10m per year in the PL.There isn’t a footballer or manager in the professional game that hasn’t from a young age been driven to play or manage at the highest level they can.

It’s always been the uncomfortable truth for fans that the people they cheer and idolise will never feel the same way they do in return. We will likely do the same to another club as Chelsea have done to us, as we did to Swansea.

Today I have far less ill feeling toward Bruno, Ben, Graham and the rest of them. I have no doubt Bruno still loves this club but he has his career to think about, it’s just not the same for them as it is for us. Feel like I’ve moved on already.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you wanted someone who could maybe weave Lallana into a backroom team, Micheal Beale at QPR could be an outside option? Seems well connected and hasn't taken a whole team there with him.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
His back room staff are entirely German. If we need to bring in a complete team, will work permits be a challenge, if he wants to bring everyone with him?

I am not saying it works, but I was interested in the way that Lampard approached the Everton position, in that he had already assembled a back room team as part of his application. I can't see too many people sitting on the sidelines right now, capable of putting together such a team at this level.

Both Svensson and Knutsen seem to fit our general ideology as a club and would probably have an easier transition into the job in regards style of play and players at his disposal.

Obviously neither have experience of English football, but I’m not sure how important that is currently. All of our players are well aware of the pace and physicality of the PL which is what’s important.

Yes either are a gamble… but then so was Potter.

We also have to be patient with either of them as again it will take time to build something once again… those on here claiming Chelsea won’t give Potter enough time must remember we need to do the same with whoever takes the helm here.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Same as it ever was really. As fans we hold ideological notions of loyalty and longevity when it suits us, when things go badly we can turn on managers who have given their clubs great service. You might argue sacking Hughton was an act of disloyalty on the part of the club and he deserved a chance to turn results around.

A footballer can earn £40k per year in League Two to £10m per year in the PL.There isn’t a footballer or manager in the professional game that hasn’t from a young age been driven to play or manage at the highest level they can.

It’s always been the uncomfortable truth for fans that the people they cheer and idolise will never feel the same way they do in return. We will likely do the same to another club as Chelsea have done to us, as we did to Swansea.

Today I have far less ill feeling toward Bruno, Ben, Graham and the rest of them. I have no doubt Bruno still loves this club but he has his career to think about, it’s just not the same for them as it is for us. Feel like I’ve moved on already.

Tend to agree with most of that. What sticks in the throat is that it is Chelsea where it is odds on that they won't honour the contract or give them anywhere near enough time to change the ethos at that basket club.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I am now in the Svenson camp - bet we don't hear a peep from Bo

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If you wanted someone who could maybe weave Lallana into a backroom team, Micheal Beale at QPR could be an outside option? Seems well connected and hasn't taken a whole team there with him.

If we go for Svennson or Knutsen then having someone like Lallana in the management team would be hugely beneficial as Lallana will have great knowledge of the players, the teams we will face etc. He also comes from a Klopp team and will well versed in the pressing tactics.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bo Svensson is a good candidate. Heavily influenced in his football style by his former managers Klopp and Tuchel and has made a great job in Mainz. While he is very settled in Mainz, he has also shown to be ok with moving since he was speaking to the FC Copenhagen board about taking over as manager a year or two ago.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Bo Svensson is a good candidate. Heavily influenced in his football style by his former managers Klopp and Tuchel and has made a great job in Mainz. While he is very settled in Mainz, he has also shown to be ok with moving since he was speaking to the FC Copenhagen board about taking over as manager a year or two ago.

Interesting he seems to be on a decent contract there, we would have to better that which would be way more than Potter was getting.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting he seems to be on a decent contract there, we would have to better that which would be way more than Potter was getting.

Yup. Up until five or ten years or so, Bundesliga coaches were the best paid in Europe. He'd probably require more than GP was on, yes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The 16m compensation might help with that. If we are thinking we’re a top half outfit, the manager needs to be paid top half money. GP was on survival / promoted manager wages.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The 16m compensation might help with that. If we are thinking we’re a top half outfit, the manager needs to be paid top half money. GP was on survival / promoted manager wages.

Might take a good slice of that in compensation!
But yes we will have to pay the loot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We may not be willing to pay the going rate for a striker, I can’t believe that we won’t pay whatever it takes if the right manager wants to come here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here