Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

News of the World - last edition this Sunday

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ex-News of The World editor Andy Coulson told by police he will be arrested over phone hacking claims tomorrow, reports The Guardian.

There will be some very worried senior police officers, journalists, business people, lawyers and politicians this evening.
A very well informed source has told me this evening that Andy was prepared to carry the can for the Glenn Mulcaire scandal, and ended up at No: 10 as a result.
But now, if he faces criminal charges, he's going to take no prisoners, and will be taking as many others down with him as he can.

Bloodbath.

Sep 1, 2010
I am unavailable to answer my phone at the moment, so please leave a message after the tone and the news of the world will get back to you

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I am unavailable to answer my phone at the moment, so please leave a message after the tone and the news of the world will get back to you

:lol::lol::lol::clap:

Will be changing my phone message to that in a bit

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Fascinating blog, here, from Reuters. According to media lawyers, now that the NotW has been closed, News Corp will be able to shred all the evidence relating to on-going legal action. Thus getting off scott-free.

The evil genius of Murdoch.

Is Murdoch free to destroy tabloid’s records?
JUL 7, 2011 16:10 EDT

NEWS OF THE WORLD | RUPERT MURDOCH
By Alison Frankel
The views expressed are her own.

Here’s some News of the World news to spin the heads of American lawyers. According to British media law star Mark Stephens of Finers Stephens Innocent (whom The Times of London has dubbed “Mr Media”), Rupert Murdoch’s soon-to-be shuttered tabloid may not be obliged to retain documents that could be relevant to civil and criminal claims against the newspaper—even in cases that are already underway. That could mean that dozens of sports, media, and political celebrities who claim News of the World hacked into their telephone accounts won’t be able to find out exactly what the tabloid knew and how it got the information.

If News of the World is to be liquidated, Stephens told Reuters, it “is a stroke of genius—perhaps evil genius.”

Under British law, Stephens explained, all of the assets of the shuttered newspaper, including its records, will be transferred to a professional liquidator (such as a global accounting firm). The liquidator’s obligation is to maximize the estate’s assets and minimize its liabilities. So the liquidator could be well within its discretion to decide News of the World would be best served by defaulting on pending claims rather than defending them. That way, the paper could simply destroy its documents to avoid the cost of warehousing them—and to preclude any other time bombs contained in News of the World’s records from exploding.

“Why would the liquidator want to keep [the records]?” Stephens said. “Minimizing liability is the liquidator’s job.”

That’s a very different scenario, Stephens said, from what would happen if a newspaper in the U.S. went into bankruptcy. In the U.S., a plaintiff (or, for that matter, a criminal investigator) could obtain a court order barring that kind of document destruction. In the U.K., there’s no requirement that the estate retain its records, nor any law granting plaintiffs a right to stop the liquidator from getting rid of them.

Is Murdoch free to destroy tabloids records? | MediaFile

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you want to see what a rat faced, yellow toothed NOTW "Features Editor" journo looks and sounds like, take a look at this clip of said Paul McMullen vs. Hugh Grant ( 1 min 48 sec )

BBC News - Hugh Grant: How I exposed hacking

Uncanny, that's EXACTLY how I expected him to look and behave right down to the cocky attitude and the ill-fitting suit. The journo has shown exactly what the problem is - he thinks that Hugh Grant is fair game because he earns alot of money and is utterly convinced that everyone else in the country thinks like he does.

For me this statement sums it up: "Our interest was writing truthful stories and what better source of the truth than someone's own mobile". Jesus wept :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How a rag of such shite is a loss baffles me, utter garbage. Having said that, i think most media is generally run by total Cnuts these days

This!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apparently Gazza has just turned up at NoTW offices with a fishing rod and a chicken korma.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
MUnUO.jpg

:thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cat Weasels

It is the journos. They will try and weasel out of it like some politicians. The Editor carries the can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here