Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

News International, is the game up? - Brooks quits (merged)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You're prattling on about a single state controlled media, without acknowledging that Murdoch, as a single private individual, owns great swathes of the media in this country and really needs to be taken down a peg or two.

I would agree that Brooks resigning will make little difference on it's own, but I think people are more hopeful of a rotten empire falling like a house of cards than any ill-will towards Brooks, who is just a puppet really.

i am not prattling about about anything i am mucking about because i am a bit bored. f***ing hell. with readingstockport on my case as well i better not make any jokes or muck about. its f***ing friday and the pubs are opening soon.

irony means saying things you dont mean doesnt it. oh the irony.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You're prattling on about a single state controlled media, without acknowledging that Murdoch, as a single private individual, owns great swathes of the media in this country and really needs to be taken down a peg or two.

I would agree that Brooks resigning will make little difference on it's own, but I think people are more hopeful of a rotten empire falling like a house of cards than any ill-will towards Brooks, who is just a PUPPET really.
more of a "running dog of the capitalist oppressors" in my opinion.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I find myself agreeing with Spanish (is it age?). If people just wanted to punish the individuals/companies for the clear crimes, that would be one thing. But they don't. Many out there have a massive agenda-led axe to grind, and won't be happy until there is a humourless liberal newspaper monopoly of one, and we're all reading the Independent every day.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I find myself agreeing with Spanish (is it age?). If people just wanted to punish the individuals/companies for the clear crimes, that would be one thing. But they don't. Many out there have a massive agenda-led axe to grind, and won't be happy until there is a humourless liberal newspaper monopoly of one, and we're all reading the Independent every day.

at least some one gets it thanks tooting. just dont joke as it will confuse people.

I would agree that there are agendas at play, but I don't think they are anti-tabloid - the ones I have seen in evidence have been anti-Murdoch.

If NI did shut down, even if the Sun closed it's doors, another tabloid would be created by someone else in its place. There is clearly a market for tabloid newspapers (as much as some people, myself included, might dislike them), so anyone hoping to get rid of them altogether is living in a dream world.

Back on Brookes, it's clear that Rupert has decided it was time to throw another lamb to the slaughter, in the hope of protecting James. However I think that this time it may have gone too far. The Guardian reported that did a lot of the investigative work into the phone hacking has said he has a mass of unpublished information that he withheld because NI would have sued the arse off him/the paper if he'd released it without cast iron proof. All of this pressure must go some way to lessening the threat of litigation, and I think if he becomes convinced to publish this info it could be the end of Murdoch in this country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Er, hum, cough, Gaurdian, cough..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i have to say i would happily take that over a corrupt old australian pederast who feels he has the right to decide who should be elected to run this country and who sanctions his media outlets lying and corrupting organs of the state.

in no way a defense, doesnt it show us more about the electorate? one person though 30-odd% of the media is able to sway the opinion of the nation. are we easily led or does his opinion track the general mood and swing the balance of power?

i'd like to think the latter, maybe naively and incorrectly. though the politicians have shown they do have a voice of their own in the end, in tune with the general mood. maybe sometimes the perception of power is greater than the actual power and influence held.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
... at least until her memoirs are published.

Is she the one that was married to one of the blokes who was a Mitchell in EastEnders previously? Can't remember if it was Phil or Grant.

Thinking about it, she is perfect memoir fodder, isn't she. She'll be minted.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
at least some one gets it thanks tooting. just dont joke as it will confuse people.

I'm in no mood for joking this morning. The nursery have interrupted my work, my little girl has been involved in an 'accidental' head-butt incident and now looks like Lesley Ash. I'm hoping this is temporary.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003

I dont think Rupert Murdoch directly dictating policy, and picking this country's Prime Minister every 5 years is a particularly attractive model either.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Er, hum, cough, Gaurdian, cough..

cough cough cough one thing you cannot acccuse the guardian of is not having a sense of humour. for every toynbee there is a brooker. may be full of absolute shit but its entertaining shit unlike the independent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure this is exactly what The Spanish meant, with hindsight, but personally I didn't get the point as he made it. And the point you are both making is fair enough I guess - the rolling of heads is a culmination of various governments of the day sucking up to News International in exchange for their influence in the lead up to polling day. Not one of them has had the political will to deal with this NI's excessive influence appropriately.

However, your spin is classic journo patter. No one is calling for a single humourless liberal newspaper - some of us are just tired of the way some of them conduct their business and have little sympathy for people like Brooks, even she is not being dealt with properly.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm in no mood for joking this morning. The nursery have interrupted my work, my little girl has been involved in an 'accidental' head-butt incident and now looks like Lesley Ash. I'm hoping this is temporary.

ouch sorry mate hope she is ok.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Is she the one that was married to one of the blokes who was a Mitchell in EastEnders previously? Can't remember if it was Phil or Grant.

hang on all this irony business is getting out of hand now i am spinning round like norman wisdom all baffled as to who is mucking about.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers, she's not too bad.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hollow, meaningless gesture, where will she be redeployed within the Murdoch empire?

Thing about Rupe is, if you were in your 80s, anticipating being 'brown' (bread) in a few years wouldn't you be lying on a beach somewhere working your way through The Count of Monte Cristo or Shantaran rather than working your arse off until the moment they put you in your coffin? Some people just don't know when to take their foot off the gas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here