Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle sold for £300m,valuing us at ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some clubs could get relegated but you know they will be back again because they come from big or wealthy cities with a lot of people and a lot of companies that will give them decent sponsorship deals etc. To smallers clubs you really need to do the most of the tv money instead, because when you go down there's a likelihood you wont go back up again and they will quickly go back to being "small clubs".

Take Swansea as an example, quote from CEO Trevor Birch:
"To put our revenue decline in context, for the year ending July 31, 2018, we had a total turnover of £126.8m. Next season (2020-21) that will drop to just shy of £30m, and when the parachute payments cease for season 2021-22 then turnover drops to approximately £17m if we are not promoted. That’s a drop of nearly £110m."

A club like Newcastle could play ten years in the Championship and their turnover would never drop to £17m. Big city, big club, big history - money (and thus the chance to get promoted) are always going to come from somewhere.

Would that happen to Brighton? I know too little about it but Tony Bloom seems like a shrewd businessman who could turn the club into one of the "permanently" big ones.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If Newcastle got relegated and stayed there, and we didn't, it would be only a few years before we would be indisputably "bigger" than them.

In the same way, Bournemouth are now bigger than Sunderland, for example. Something that would have been unimaginable just a decade ago.

Depends on the old chestnut of bigger I guess? I think Sunderland are massively bigger than Bournemouth and arguably bigger than us. Worse team for sure but Sunderland have a support and stadium that Bournemouth could only dream of. Throw history into the equation and its not even close.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's some bonkers bunkem on this thread to be sure. BHA worth more than Newcastle ? A 50k+ stadium at the Goldstone currently being discussed and planned by the board ?

I know I've been drinking more during the lockdown, as my quiz results would certainly attest. But I draw the line at advocaat and sherry at 10am, and I've not touched the weed since my 20's.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They have a 50k+ stadium which is (usually) filled and have on paper at least a more valuable squad of players. They are a bigger club than BHA.

Their owner might be a piece of filth, but he has largely kept that club in the top flight without breaking the bank - they have made a profit in 7 of the last 8 seasons, which you certainly can't say about us.

I'd say they are worth significantly more.

I guess the OP was sort of saying is if Newcastle were sold for £300 then we probably would be worth a bit less . IMO the £300million reflects someone who wants to sell so probably undervalues the club by a good £100million.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess the OP was sort of saying is if Newcastle were sold for £300 then we probably would be worth a bit less . IMO the £300million reflects someone who wants to sell so probably undervalues the club by a good £100million.

One thing Mike Ashley would never do is purposely undervalue NUFC to get a sale done. If that were the case, he'd have gone years ago.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have often remarked that the ambiguity of the English language is a mark of our strength and our weakness.

When it comes to comments about club 'bigness' the latter comes to the fore.

How can anyone on the right mind attempt to compare B'muff and Sunderland for 'bigness'? That isn't an interesting football debate. It's a debate entirely contingent on how you define big. In fact it is merely a debate about how you define big.

As others have said, Brighton and Newcastle are worth only, and exactly, what someone is prepared to pay for them. And that has nothing to do with bigness.

Sunderland. It's Sunderland, FFS. :lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Out of interest, has anyone ever seen a Brighton playing shirt on sale outside of Sussex? (not including online).

Hah! When my girls were young teenagers we'd pop into Sports Direct [10-15 years ago and up here in Telford] and every time I would comment that as there were no BHA shirts on the rails they must have sold out.

Bless 'em, they believed me ....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If Newcastle got relegated and stayed there, and we didn't, it would be only a few years before we would be indisputably "bigger" than them.

How does that statement align to clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Weds, Notts Forest, etc - all "big" clubs when I was a kid in the 70s but have been out of the top div for some time.
Are they all now smaller than the likes of Bournemouth or even us [or every other Prem club]?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What I don't understand is why anyone gives a damn whether the world sees us as a bigger or smaller club then Newcastle?

Sounds very much like tiny penis syndrome!!!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
One thing Mike Ashley would never do is purposely undervalue NUFC to get a sale done. If that were the case, he'd have gone years ago.

He would like more but...; its £50 million more than he was offered 3 years ago, football clubs might have to give back £50 million to Sky, football players as assets are taking nose dive seems a good compromise to me.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If you think the messenger is talking out of his arse, then I think it's ok to shoot him.

It's an amazing fantasy, that we could one day go back to our spiritual home. I can see why there are some plausible aspects. The retail park and the one where Halfords was, were faring badly even before this crisis took off. The are much better transport links. I expect 25% of our fan base could walk or cycle. It would be the ultimate story of redemption .... but you can't get around ....

1) Why should TB do it? 10 years after bankrolling a new stadium?
2) The footprint isn't there. (well you could combine the Goldstone and Sackville trading estate, knock down the furniture place etc, but what about Newtown Road)
3) Flats are going up in that area, any land that does come available is likely to be snapped up by developers
4) would the council sanction a new stadium, when, there isn't a real need for it?
5) would 40 to 50k be desirable?

Isn’t the Goldstone Retail Park still subject to the same planning covenants that stymied the development of the Goldstone Ground? The club could be the focal point of the complete renovation of the Sackville estate but that’s a 10-15 year project with immense funding implications - even more so in a post CV19 world.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Absolutely, yes. Bournemouth and ourselves will have considerably more international fans than those 70's giants... And ever increasing.

It would take them several years in the Premier League to catch up. We're just missing a run in Europe to really grow as a club in stature, to the levels they once were.
Don't agree there Musty. We could be in The Premier League for another 5 years and Newcastle relegated but all our " world wide " fans and home fans would not outnumber a club the size of Newcastle......no way, no how, never.???

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Don't agree there Musty. We could be in The Premier League for another 5 years and Newcastle relegated but all our " world wide " fans and home fans would not outnumber a club the size of Newcastle......no way, no how, never.???

For the first time our club now has investment in the new generation. Schools and parks are full of kids in Brighton kit. This would be normal for Newcastle not for us. once we purge through the missing generation and this starts to kick in we can easily match them as we are a two county club not just a city but it will be at least a decade till we see it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
For the first time our club now has investment in the new generation. Schools and parks are full of kids in Brighton kit. This would be normal for Newcastle not for us. once we purge through the missing generation and this starts to kick in we can easily match them as we are a two county club not just a city but it will be at least a decade till we see it.
I agree we are in a good position, we have never seen growth in supporters numbers as we have today but it will take years, probably 20 or more to even come near the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, and other yo yo big clubs if we ever do. Even to keep within striking distance of clubs of this size and stature we must avoid relegation. We will get 'bigger' but I think we are thinking above our station if we think we are as big as Newcastle, Villa, West Ham. We must just relish the thought that as long as we are a Premier League club we are pulling away from the likes of Reading, Fulham, Huddersfield, Cardiff and similar size clubs to us in the not so distant past. Having said hope I am wrong and you are right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

I did laugh when I read a post above that mentions 'big' clubs, and includes Nottingham Forest. They aren't even the biggest club in Nottingham. To curtail a long side-argument, I don't really mean that. Or do I? ???

If I get bored in the next few weeks I'll try to work out a formula for bigness. It should have three components, where a club is now, where it has been for 100 years, and where it seems to be going. Of the three, where the club is now is the least important as, e.g., everyone knows that Sheffield Wednesday are bigger than Bournmouth. Where the club is going is important (vide Forest vs County). Where the club were is only important for as long as people remember or care. Forest vs County again.

So Brighton, in my mind, are as big as lots of clubs, potentially bigger than some formerly big clubs on the way out, and will never be as big as some clubs who are in the doldrums but everone knows will bounce back. Probably.

Actually, that's the answer isn't it? Whatever you feel is correct.

Moreover, nobody actually gives a tiny shit about the truth of it. The relevance is only in the context of a big willy contest, with the added consolation that you don't actually have to flop your own out for inspection to win the argument.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52375947

Capturegg.JPG

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1288845329463476224[/tweet]

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
There is a structure, discipline and organisation in our club- a vision and a plan, it is possible to enlarge the south and north stands of the Amex but it would ruin the architectural lines of the stadium.
The only real limit is the top 6 -- possibly 10-20 years might-might get us there ?.

Land is a lot more expensive in the south and the club have very good assets I would suggest we might be worth more than a lot of our northern teams in both top divisions - but only if we stay in the top flight, however no-one can disagree we need mid table stability, because staying near the bottom is a recipe to accidently drop through the trap door .
I am surprised PLB got relegated however they really were punching above their weight .
Im happy T.B will own us for many many years(I hope ) and bring us the stability, guts and passion it takes to stay here in the top flight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here